Bush approval dips below 40 percent

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 12, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Down to 807 samples and the margin of error goes up to 3.4.

But these are terrible numbers for Bush. Nothing he's done in the last 3 months has helped him at all. Tiny bump from Roberts, but that's it.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and the indictments, if any, will be handed down before the month's out. if there are indictments, i wonder how low bush's numbers can go.

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

I'd love to see a poll with one question:

Do you think this country is going to hell in a handbasket?

a) pretty much
    b) not really

From my informal polling, the "pretty much" numbers are way, way ahead!

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Aww...poor Not-so-Curious George! I'm sure Daddy will get him a new oil field to make him feel better. :)

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

At present, I couldn't vote for either (a) or (b) without some further development of what "hell" is and what "handbasket" would be; but I am concerned with what would seem to be an eroding morale within the country.

8. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is what amazes me, its clear we have people in this country who put Party before Country. How is this guy getting 40% with all the crap he has done. Mr Bush why are we in Iraq if there wasnt WMDs? Seems lots of non fighting republicans like this policy of change the policy. We are now Nation Building or is it fighting them there so we dont fight them here?. I wonder how many Iraq insurgents we created by going into Iraq in the first place. How did we forget so fast that those 911 bombers were Saudi's :confused:

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A while ago I would have thought the floor was 40% that were committed enough they will support him no matter what. Then Katrina came and his promise of 'spending whatever it takes' blew out his support among his fiscally conservative base, while simultaneously not getting him any support from the rest of the country who no either no longer believe anything he says, or are so fed up with the other problems (Iraq, gas, corruption deficit etc) that they can't support him no matter what he says.

Then he goes and nominates Miers and blows out any remaining support from the religious right.

Now I wouldn't be surprised to find his numbers in the high 20s/low 30s after the Plame investigation wraps up.

The only thing that could rally his base right now would be withdrawing Miers and nominating a Scalia or Thomas -- with a vagina of course. But I don't think Bush has the stomach or political capitol for that kind of fight in the Senate. And I think Rove is worried about his own skin these days -- he seems off his game.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

Eww... Scalia with a vagina... Gross... But you're absolutely right. Who knows why he nominated Meiers? It's a mystery, but yep, Rove was off of his A-game.

The administration will also hit another low this winter when heating bills are 50% higher than last year. And then yet another low next year when mortgage rates climb another point next year and the housing market takes a hit. And then yet another low when the new Iraq constitution is a failure

Lots of suffering for the administration (and our poor country) in the pipeline.

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not convinced he's still playing, at least 100% of the time.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They can always blame the Democrats, and Mother Nature, in that order, and about a third of the country will accept the explanation without question.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And it drops a little lower again:
    (And for those interested in polling, click through to the link. The Pew Research Group is very professional, and the linked report on the poll is very thorough, including methodology, the original questionnaire, and a detailed demographic breakdown available.)

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Clinton?! Hell, Bush is making Jimmy Carter look good.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have been thinking the same thing :D I wonder how many Republicans Bush is turning away. Why anyone would want to label themself a Republican/Democrat these days is beyond my Republican upbringing.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

By comparison, Jimmy Carter was good. Let's put it this way: don't expect George W. Bush to be up for any Nobel prizes when he retires from office.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Although Bush may yet wrest the 'Biggest Douche in the Universe' award from John Edwards .
    :p

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The psychic John Edwards, not the politician BTW. ;)

Besides, Kerry's the douche. Bush is the crap sandwich. :p

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm actually surprised that nobody blamed Carter so far for the Katrina chaos .. after-all the FEMA was founded under his presidency ;)

personally i don't understand why he is so unpopular...

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

nor do i. he was a smart guy w/ some good policies.

i think it's two things that are lasting:
    1. high energy prices
    2. inability to deal w/ the iran hostage crisis

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't forget branding by the right. Carter is portrayed as a bumbling fool who precipitated the rise of The Great Communicator. The worse they can make Carter out to be, the better Reagan looks in their minds.

Also don't forget that the attacks on Carter have been vicious and numerous by the right. IIRC, Carter was on the list of '100 people who are screwing up America'. He's been accused of playing 'for the other side'; IOW treason. I can't think of another president, with the possible exception of Nixon, who has been treated so savagely after leaving office by his opposition.

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and he responded by continuing to work for peace and to improve the plight of the poor. a truly great man, imo.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, I agree completely. It's just that Carter is always held up as the supposed "nadir" of all the presidents, ever. Sure it's unfair. But it's been an extremely successful smear, just like Reagan's turning "liberal" into a "bad" word.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and that sounds high for mr. shrub ;)