Bush approval drops ANOTHER point; Congress even lower; GOP in trouble

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yes! Democrats, PLEASE take advantage of this!

Now the Democrats need to give people a reason to vote for them -- other than "they're not Republicans."

Happy happy joy joy!

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I agree, and democrats need to stop trying to appease republican voters, too. Appeasement is the last thing we need. We need change and lots of it.

e

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The writing is on the wall for the right-wing extremist wackos in Congress. America- thanks for waking up. Now go vote.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'm gonna unrepentantly rain on the parade and say that even if the Democrats gain control of the House, Senate or both, we'll just see more of the same. The tune will change but we'll all recognize the steps.

The Democrats will go hide in a corner every time the GOP says they're weak on National Security. We *might* see some actual investigation into warrantless spying or the real reasons behind Iraq, but the administration is just gonna stonewall, like they're doing now, and nothing will get anywhere.

The only chance we have for change is an impeachment proceeding, which the GOP will immediately decry as a political stunt and revenge for Clinton and the Dems will fold - because they have no actual *plan* to accomplish anything.

The Dems will pursue Republican-lite policies, and the Republicans will nail them for being weak and hating our country and questioning the President in a time of "war".

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that would be totally new and fresh, wouldn't it? ;)

cause, you know, i have a real problem with gwb (like about 70% of americans) but i want someone... almost as bad as him. i don't want someone who stands up to that which i dislike, i want someone who just kinda points and cries about it but offers no alternative, except maybe that which is slightly less militaristic, slightly less pro-big corporations, slightl less anti-environment... you know, I WANT A DEMOCRAT!

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'll believe it when I see the GOP kicked out. Polls before the 2004 election showed a 2-3% lead for Democrats nationwide for congress, but but there's just too much local politics for a nationwide trend to hold. Republican congressmen and senators have to screw up personally for anything to happen.

Perhaps a 30% approval rating will do it, but there's plenty of time between now and October for scare tactics to start. Even if there's a risk that could backfire, it will be worth it for them if things start looking really bad.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think the scare tactics are starting to backfire already. I mean he**, if I am supposed to be this scared after 5 years of boosting our defenses, what good have they done? Honestly it seems like they are trying to make us more scared than we were on 9/11/01. I thought they were trying to make us safer, why should I be scared at all now?

I'd rather have a group with no plan willing to try something different than keep on this same crap that seems to always make the world very dangerous around election time.

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I'm not too optimistic about my party taking control of Congress. They need to be pro-active and start challenging the GOP agenda rather than waiting for the GOP to self-destruct.

Here's an abridged version of how the GOP won Congress and why the Democrats have failed to take it back:

GOP: Look at us, we have shiny new ideas!

Dems: We are the establishment, vote for us for another 50 years.

GOP: New ideas! They're shiny!

1995:

The GOP takes control of Congress for the first time in 50 years.

1995-2003:

Dem Response:...

2004:

GOP: We're the party of ideas!

Dems: Your ideas suck. We need new ideas.

GOP: Alrighty then, smartypants. What new ideas do you have in mind

Dems: ...

2005:

Bush begins his second term in office.

2006:

GOP is falling apart.

Dems response: ...

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Several things:

I've been saying this, but it bears repeating: the Dems need their own version of the Contract with America. "If you elect us, we will do ________." (And they need to be substantive things, not "Republican lite".)

They need to go on the attack more often and more effectively. The Republicans manage to take things the best liberal ideas and make them sound downright un-American. So far the Dems have been letting the Republicans implode, but that's not the same thing as propagandizing the same way Rove & Co. do.

The Dems need to concentrate on all those internal issues the Republicans have been ignoring or dismantling: health care, Social Security, civil rights, bankruptcy law, etc. And they need to do this without ceding the national security issue to the Republicans. This really shouldn't be hard; the GOP is doing a lousy job at things like port security. You can beat the GOP on this issue just by being competent.

Finally, the Dems need to keep their own house in order. This means a unified front, a clear message, and no scandals of their own.

Getting all the Dems off the corporate payroll would be great, too, but I'm sure that's asking too much at this point.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree with Thomas Veil, The democrats need a contract with America on what they stand for and what they want to do, at the moment im not that confident.
    :confused: Iam still confused how President Bush gets a 36% approval rating? He has shown he is president of the MultinationalMegacorporations and little else but how does he get 36%:confused:

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because there are some people who support Bush no matter what he does. Bush could admit that he rapes dead babies, and there will still be some idiots who stand behind him.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

BTW, it's worth noting that the survey was conducted this week, and Bush managed to drop to a new low despite being the fact that he's been "on tour" for the last two weeks giving speeches designed to achieve exactly the opposite effect.

America, you're not listening!! ;) :p

13. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Exactly. You should come with me to the DLC conference and we'll give them a piece of our minds.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well for starters, the Democrats have promised that the FIRST thing a Democratic Congress will pass is the complete slate of recommendations of the 9/11 panel. That would be a start. But yeah, I'm not expecting big things from a freshly-minted Democratic Congress.

But at least things won't be going south as fast as they are now. It took the Democrats in Congress 40 years to get as corrupt as the GOP has managed to do in 12 years.

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and it took 150 years for the federal government to come in, make the rule of law from our constitution kick into gear, and stop the state governments from trampling on individual rights and great precedents were set like brown vs. the board of education and many others...but it took only 5 years for bush and company to give the states the rights to trample all over individuals again

and if he had his way, he would love to pack the courts with his people and have them follow a conservative agenda and basically ignore the constitution

this is not a short term trend we are seeing here with bush, but decades of damage to our jurisprudence caused from this two term nitwit we have in the white house

the america we had before bush will not look anything like the america that will be here when he has served his two full terms...it's scary to think we have him here for nearly 3 more years

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then start expecting and demanding big things. Folks, we get nowhere if we just sit on our heels and observe. Write letters people- it does help.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is exactly what they are doing. Even though it has backfired on them in the last couple of elections. They tried to dip their toes in the water recently with some of those contract things, but no one was paying attention or cared and the GOP still attacked them relentlessly. This is a lose-lose for everybody the way things keep going.

On the plus side, this is that pendulum thing I've been talking about. It will get worse before it gets better. If it ever does.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Enough with the cautious cynicism. Seize the day, dammit. Start writing as many letters as you can. We can do this, folks. No more whining.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I like whining. It's a lot more productive than anything the Dems have done lately. Plus the neocons are just going to find a way to try to steal the next elections anyway. It's going to take a lot more Diebolding this time though I think.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fine- you can either get a little of what you want or nothing, or go backwards. It's up to you.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I haven't given up, but a lot of the people I talk to have. They don't like what the neocons are doing and plan on voting Dem when some of them wouldn't have before. Many of whom wouldn't have voted period. But some of this has to come from the Dems themselves. They have to make people want to vote for them, not just against the other guys. I can honestly say I'm not that motivated toward them at the moment, and I doubt that's going to change anytime soon. Luckily for them, I hate the other side just that much. Let's hope there's enough people who feel the same.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed- but we really need to put the pressure on them. It's not enough just to sit back and hope. If they don't hear from us, they assume they're doing OK. Write your congressmen folks! A lot! Because trust me, conservatives do.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yes, I agree. We live in a democracy, even though it's easy to lose sight of that and think we're living in a dictatorship :(. It's important that we let our representatives know what we think! Put your thoughts on the table. Write your local newspaper. Write your congresspeople. Change needs to happen on a local level before it can happen on a federal level.

e

24. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There's some really good advice here.

If all the Dems wanna do is win this fall's election, they can just keep on doing what they've been doing, running on the motto "We're not them." How exciting. They'll probably win, but their support will have all the solidity of a sand castle.

If they wanna sustain victories, election after election, they have got to get people enthused; they have got to convince people that they've got "the right stuff". And they have got to center their policies around bold ideas that actually help people, not just corporations.

So I like what I guess is a combination of scem0's and lee's advice: start expecting and demanding great things of the Democrats...and then write them and tell them so!

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im not sure a democratic victory would mean much, its becoming ever so clear that both parties are working for the same corporations who donate to both and then get leglislation they want reguardless of who is in power. Yes the Gop sucks these days just as the democrats sucked years ago both owned not by the people but by the donations from corporations. Owned. Just look at Oil,Health,Borders,Ports, etc. Owned. We have a fundamental flaw in the system that encourages bribes to congressman or rather"campaign donations". Then we get screwed.