Bush authorized leak of Iraq intelligence estimate, indicted ex-Cheney aide says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 6, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting...but if I read this right, there's still no smoking gun that shows that Bush or Cheney specifically told Libby to reveal Plame's identity.

Still...the plot thickens.

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

This is indeed interesting.

Though the skeptic in me smells a strong stench of fish on this. It doesn't sit right - timing, 'source' etc.

Isn't the law written that if the identity is leaked by action or omission? Meaning that even an 'oopsie' on the administrations part prosecutable?

Somebody got the language?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Talk about a hypocrite, Bush lied to us again saying he would process the leaker when it was him plus using this for clear political gain or purpose. Shameful again and yet another reason i left this party, i urge all Americans to rethink partys or even go independent. Discraceful, Party first, country for him down about 4th or 5th i imagine behind UAE, Mexico ,China,Russia.

Its to bad we cant impeach this guy but we could if we elected a democratic congress this october. Now wouldnt that be fun, after all the republicans were doing the same for Bill's affair,this guy is spying on americans,torturing folks somewhere,lieing to the american people,getting us in Iraq when they had to make up stuff and even leaking a CIA agent for political gain??? Republicans like Bush,Cheney,Delay,Rove are all dirty i realize. Heck the Vp took 24 hrs just to get his story right when the idiot shot his shooting buddy. We can do better America then these clowns who are destroying this nation with corrupt policy.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. I understand the hesitance to impeach, but I'm sorry- it has to be done to preserve the rule of law. We can't let this guy get away with this just because it may be politically unpopular. There are laws in this country and they must be upheld. Otherwise, the next crook, be they Democrat or Republican, will take breaking the law even further.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is amazing stuff. It looks like Scooter is not willing to take the fall. It also is clear now that Bush, and not just Cheney, was involved in the decision to perhaps out an noc agent and certainly to disclose the crown jewel of intelligence reports for political purposes. I think Jane Harman is right, Bush can now be legitimately called the "leaker-in-chief."

btw, here is the link to Fitzgerald's filing.

7. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

and no one cares and no one knows... We should all join the cynical/apathetic party.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All the more reason to impeach-now.

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think Josh Marshall over at Talking Points Memo asks a very important question,

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So when Bush said he was going to get to the bottom of this and fire anyone involved in leaking... was he lying, or will he fire himself?

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hard to say but at least he found himself after 2 years but do we want him to do fire himself? Thats puts the brain behind this administration Cheney as President.:(

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and when denial won't work, embrace it!

i do like harry reid's comment. "the leaks start here" indeed.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So why didn't Bush simply come out on the day the story broke, and say he has the inherent authority to declassify anything? Why the charade for 2+ years, only now to make the argument that it was never illegal in the first place?

Something doesn't add up here.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its called lies, and cover up. Lets face it this president was going into Iraq period and that was before 911.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well as for the timing, Fitzgerald just filed this bombshell the other day.

Presumably what we're talking about now is the timing of the declassification of the NIE, and why the need for the obfuscation for the last two years, and why Bush felt the need to put on the show of wanting to go after leakers when he (presumably) knew all along that he was the one who authorized the leak in the first place.

Lifting from the good ladies at FDL, from todays gaggle:
    The date of declassification will become very important. McClellan originally said
    That was on 7/18/03. The Libby conversation with Miller occured prior to that date.

16. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Since when is Judith Miller the sole channel for declassified info?

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

shortly after she forgot how to be a journalist, i expect.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It means the patsy thing didn't take. Who would have thought that if you try to blame someone else for something you've done wrong, they might actually be a little upset when they go down and you abandon them. See Michael Brown.

Nobody seems to care just because they aren't surprised, but fewer and fewer defend the indefensible anymore.

19. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I am so surprised and disappointed that people aren't taking to the streets with this.

I think this is the worst thing Bush has ever done, and I haven't even read or seen much about it.

Let me get this straight. George Bush may have been the one that outed one of our spooks, and people aren't saying anything about it? Jesus H, if he did what is implied, that's f***ing treason.

I am pissed about this. I always figured it was Rove, which even if he stood on the White House lawn and screamed I DID IT!! nothing much would or could change because of the GOP control of.....well, everything. Even if they fired him, what's it to Bush, he's a lame duck - and Rove's "genius" hasn't been helping him much lately anyway, has it?

But George Bush, the President of the United States? bull****! I want some action to be taken, I want heads to roll. Somebody needs to say something, and say it fast. Grow a backbone Dems! I would be screaming bloody murder if I was in Washington.

Like Lee said, if for no other reason than respect for the LAW.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Especially since it hurt us more than you'd think. How are CIA agents supposed to do their jobs if they have to worry about being outed? Or informants supposed to trust they won't be compromised? That's why I think there were a few things coming out about the administration that wouldn't have otherwise. Leaks that Bush went nuts about and threatened to nail whoever was responsible. While complaining about how poor the intelligence leading up to the Iraq war was, even though his people were the ones cherry picking what orgs like the CIA were calling false (just like how he blamed the Generals for the lack of planning in Iraq, even though he just didn't listen to them while they were telling him to do the opposite of what he was doing).

But people defend the indefensible still, and those who do care enough still feel there is nothing they can do about it. Charges are being filed, new things are coming to light as more and more people get pissed at the mistakes BushCo make, so we can only hope there will come a breaking point. This could be another WaterGate, if enough people start to care.

21. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's so funny how Bush said long ago that he would "NOT TOLERATE" leaking of information. But now here's him authorizing it.

Holy expeletive!

Oh... I can't believe it.

22. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Why do I feel like it won't be?

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Only way he'll get impeached is if he gets a BJ in the oval office. Lets all chip in and hire a hooker for him. :D

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because people care, but they're too busy to do anything about it. Read as, they make themselves too busy because they don't want to think about it knowing there is little they can do. I can't stop thinking of V for Vendetta, or the American Revolution for that matter. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but people are pissed.

There will be a small increase in Democrats in Congress by the end of the year. If there aren't, I will finally believe the conspiracy buffs who claim elections are rigged. I already have my doubts after watching first hand what happened in WA state in 2004. The Dem actually won the election for Governor, but it took 2 recounts to find that out.