Bush Cabinet changes for second term?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Nov 3, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Does anyone know about any potential reshuffling on Bush's Cabinet for his second term? I remember that Powell and Rice in particular had mentioned that they were not interested in a second term, should Bush be re-elected.

Any idea who is going? When? And potential replacements?

Thanks.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If Bush truly wants to heal and reunite this nation, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft and Wolfowitz should be shown the door, post haste.

I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The staff will quit as a show of good will, so they do not have to put the POTUS into the awkward position of having to fire or replace them. Some will be hired back, some will choose to spend time with their families. Some will not want to come back and have their names dragged through the mud knowing what the administration has planned. I doubt Rummie and Rove will go anywhere... they are the administration. Depending on who goes and who stays, we will know what those plans are for better or worse.

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Powell has been saying for years that he would resign if Bush wins a second term.

There are now reports surfacing that Ashcroft will hand in his resignation in the next few days. My bet is on Attorney General Giuliani in the next term.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ashcroft, Ridge, and Powell are all rumored to be leaving. Rumor also has it that Rice want's Rummy's job, but he doesn't want to give it up. Rice is also being mentioned for SecState as well.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh and Tommy Thompson is probably out as well.

7. makisushi macrumors 6502

I can't imagine Powell sticking around for much longer. He has aired his dissapointment many times.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

w will abandon some of his loyal supporters

abc and cnn have mentioned the obvious changes...rumsfeld, powell, and ashcroft all going out...and the politically exciting, for gop and dems, possibility of rudy giuliani as attorney general...few politicians are so well liked by both sides

before the election, cnn asked him about this and of course he wouldn't say and looked shocked...to me that's a good indication that the former nyc mayor will take ashcroft's job

looking further down the line, with the strong possibility of cheney not running in 08, i think the gop might want to run giuliani for president...with bush in and a move from him to bring the gop to the left and basically abandon the christian right now that he does not need them, i see the gop trying to further their base by wooing moderate, pro choice voters...the social conservatives will be left out in the cold once bush reorganizes his new cabinet and the social conservatives will still be forced to vote for a moderate gop instead of a more liberal democratic party in 08

the christians on the far right can protest and start their own socially conservative party but it won't be enough to effctively compete with the two major parties

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The socially conservative types don't have to vote at all. If they stay home the GOP loses. And if Guilani runs on the GOP ticket they will stay home rather than vote for a pro-choice Republican.

That's sort of the interesting thing about Bush's win, it leaves a vacuum behind him. Cheney is not popular enough to run, and all the other high-profile GOP types are considered RINOs by the rank-and-file of the GOP. I've heard Frist's name floated as a possible '08 candidate, but outside of him I can't think of anyone from the conservative wing of the GOP that would fit the bill. McCain perhaps, but he barely meets the description as is.

Arnold? Maybe, but again he's a social liberal who is pro-choice and at least tolerant of homosexual unions. Plus you would have to get the Constitution amended like now to allow time for Arnold to build the organization necessary for an '08 run.

Jeb Bush? Again, maybe but at some point Americans will get Bush fatigue. '08 probably isn't Jeb's year. '12 maybe.

Perhaps the GOP could run Allen Keyes again. First black on a major ticket. He's got the social conservatism thing sewn up. Unfortunately everyone else hates him.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As well they should. Did you hear about what he said after his defeat in Illinois?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-keyes05.html

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah he was about as gracious in defeat as they come. :rolleyes:

However, he is much closer to what appears to be the mainstream of the GOP these days than Guilani is.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

being a democrat, i wish the gop could lose if one group, like christian conservatives, stayed home

but the truth is, even without the christian conservatives, a moderate gop candidate would still beat any democrat

my party, the democratic party, is in crisis right now and has no real agenda to take america forward

the dems are in the same position the gop was in the 92 and 96 elections...basically directionless...the gop is so far ahead right now that they can win on a born again christian, social conservative platform or a fiscal conservative, social liberal platform...i think 2008 belongs to them if they run a guiliani or condi rice

but since the gop is ahead today...remember they won by a large 3.3 million votes this time...they might get complacent and the democrats can come from behind and surprise everybody in 2008...in 1991 when george hw bush had a 90% percent approval rating (no president in history has ever been so popular with america), the gop seemed invincible...by november 1992, the gop was history and bill clinton took the white house

for the sake of the democrats, i hope the gop stays with the ultra, ultra conservative platform and alienates anyone who is not 100% percent fundamentalist or 100% percent super-rich...that way, the democrats will be able to win in 2008 ;)

13. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Two interesting posts back-to-back...

I tend to think that for sheer pragmatism, the GOP is likely to pursue a strategy as outlined by Jef, even if it does potentially alienate some constituency.

Mac, I understand your point, but it hinges largely on what constitutes a "social conservative".

In defining them as synonomous with the religious right, I do not think that they will prove decisive. Surprisingly, from what I read, the evangelicals and there ilk were not a factor in this recent election, as their numbers at the polls remained more or less unchanged from 2000.

If you define "social conservatives" with a broader brush, then I believe the case you state is not as plausible. Much depends on what else is dangled by the GOP Candidate in 2008, his character and the Democratic opposition.

The opposition to abortion may already be a moot point, however, if Bush manages to either gut/circumvent Roe vs Wade or overturn it by 2008.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My understanding was that some 24% of the Ohio electorate described themselves as 'evangelical' this time around.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm a bit confused but ultimately frightened by the GOP strategy.

If they'd nominated McCain in 2000, he'd have easily won. But he would have brought a moderate, cooperative government to DC.

I fear the party has been hijacked by extremists.

They'd rather pass on the easy win with a moderate candidate and instead they'll run hard-line rightist fundamentalists (i.e. Bush) and hope to win by a squeak (or by cheating).

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

And that's what I don't understand about this administration. What good does that do anybody? Even them?

Even with a moderate in the WH, they would still be in power.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The hard Right is in charge of the GOP now in precisely the same way the furtherest Left elements called all the shots in the Democratic Party during the 1970s. Not only are they leading their party away from the mainstream of American politics, they are accelerating an ideological cleansing campaign within their own power structure. The impetus for this seems to be coming from both the top and bottom of the party, and will make it increasingly difficult for Republicans to field genuinely moderate candidates for any important office.

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my point proven today

as we now know, two of W's far right cabinet members resigned today...john ashcroft and don evans...both born again christians and among the most hated by the left and moderates

the only real representative remaining of the president's evangelical base, who is publicly christian and outspoken, is justice clarence thomas...and since he is not a cabinet member and will likely stay for some years to come, bush can still influence the court for years, especially under a thomas-led supreme court when rehnquist resigns due to bad health as court watchers predict...i don't see an overturn or roe v. wade, but for bush to still stack the court with someone slightly on the conservative side...a far right justice would not pass the mustard at this time

today's two key cabinet resignations are no surprise as key political experts believe bush will push the moderates into power...this may become the opening for mayor giuliani, a social moderate

for us democrats on this thread, the gop's look to the future and a moderate led party is sure to make beating a gop candidate for the white house very hard in four years...i have no strategy against a moderate gop right now

we can attack bush on the war, but rummy will step down once iraq is more stabilized and when the us troops come home, and then the president will accentuate all the positives in such a way people will forget that we had an unsuccessful occupation over there

if bush puts in a moderate sectretary of defense in rummy's place, and not hardliner wolfowitz, the dems may not be able to attack W's war policies

from now on, bush will try and attract the "blue" state voters who were against him and try and go down in history as a strong and popular president like clinton and reagan

you can't please everybody all the time but reagan and clinton were not bad at it and the bush spin staff are probably hard at work in making the president enter his second term with a strong agenda to unite the country and heal its wounds...but instead of real healing, it will be a pr campaign

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

BUSH ANNOUNCES NEW CABINET...

...and there are some familiar faces.

[​IMG]

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I personally have said more than one that if McCain was on the RNC ticket, I would have voted for him over Gore or Kerry.

It is not that I am "moderate" Democrat, I am a fiscal responsible citizen; and i would have hoped that McCain would have been able to bring the nation to their senses.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i want my democrats to do well, but more importantly, i want the united states to be a fiscally conservative country and i would also vote for mccain knowing what i do about his honor and true dedication to balancing the budget

if we had a balanced budget and spent our money wisely, i believe it is possible for the country to have a fiscal conservative politicain, whether it's a mccain or was someone like clinton (who put us in surplus mode), and still take care of the homeless situation, healthcare, and education

i know a lot of people who preach fiscal conservatism but don't practice it themselves in their life...that's where it starts, with the individual...if most republicans, personally and individually practiced what they preached, then they would never allow a mad spender like gwb to regain the white house

i don't wear designer clothes, i don't eat out a lot, i refused to take out a major school loan for grad school, i drive a 20 year old car, i like fine wine but have the sense to realize i can't afford it and make do with cheaper wine, and i make do with older computers, too ;) ...i accentuate the positives and realize as a world citizen...that having food, shelter, an education past the 8th grade, and not having the federales shake you down already puts one among the most affluent and fortunate citizens in the world...america uses 20-25% percent of the world's resources yet only has 5% percent of the world's population

ask yourself the mac user fiscal conservative question, "if i don't need a powerbook, can i survive with an ibook or do i have to get that powerbook!!" :)

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Oh so true! My other half loves buying stuff at the grocery store that is ready to go. The latest is Manwich that comes with the meat with it! Man, as I told him if we can't find 10 to 20 minutes to prep a meal, then we are lost. Slow cooking is now a way of life for us.

I have just gotten my boss to agree to just two days a week in the main office. Otherwise I work from home.

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Colin Powell is meeting with the President right now, we should find out today whether or not he is staying.

Michael Powell is staying, no surprise there, it's probably the best job he will ever have and being loyal to Bush is probably his best course of action.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You are so right. For most that have held his position, it has been a rubber stamp type of job. It appears that he has his sights on higher opportunities.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked