Bush calls on Democrats to work with him

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Gee, it's only Jan. 2, and we may already have the funniest headline of the year:

CBS News

Now really: who else besides me thinks that "working with Bush" means doing it his way?

I see an awful lot of hands raised.

I also see this as a sign of trouble to come. Bush is egotistical and stubborn as hell, and he's not gonna like Democrats setting and controlling the agenda.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He's never reached across party lines before.

He can go to Hell.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What Pure Crap coming from the most Partison President in our Nations History. He even went as far as calling the democrats and everyone who voted democrats terrorist sympathizers. He should be held accountable for his deeds & misdeeds on Oil deals,Port Deals,Ignoring the Border for 6 years, not getting Osama and his Iraq war. Worst president in our nations history in my view. Ignored the People and works for the corporations both foreign & domestic. The Nerve.

Then we had a Republican Congress forcing the Democratic side to vote on things without even given a chance to read the Bills they were voting on? This President & his Republican Party are discraceful.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe.... here's another example of the GOP begging not to be treated the way they treated Democrats.

And how did the "Minority Bill of Rights" that Pelosi wanted to introduce back then fare under GOP leadership? Not well, as you might expect. In fact, Hastert refused to even respond to the missive. And yet, the GOP demands that they be treated better than they treated the Democrats.

Freakin hilarious...

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

*calls upon Apple employees to help him get a new MBP at 50% off*

The spite and arrogance Apple employees have shown to me thusfar are just evidence of how much they truly hate their customers.

7. stillwater macrumors regular

Any legislation that Dubya doesn't like will automatically be a "political statement".

I imagine he'll be giving his veto pen a workout now.

8. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Which is a good thing because it will force compromise. Maybe something beneficial to the American people will finally get done(although I doubt it will be something I agree with). Too much partisanship either right or left is a bad thing.

Unfourtunately the only party I find myself agreeing with is the libertarians and a Bush + Democrat mix is anything but libertarian: the war won't end because of Bush plus we get the great minimum wage and estate taxing of the Democrats, sounds like an excellent 2 years to me. Alas, I guess it is time for me to accept the compromising policies I hate. It seems like no one in America believes in freedom for both business and people; mostly free market for business and free choice socially for people: I guess my best choice is Rudy Giuliani.

9. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Not since the Ford Pinto, Global Warming, Enron, the HP spying scandal, Exxon's oil reserve trickery, the "Nicotine isn't addictive" big tobacco BS, the Guiness affair, Halliburton, the British East India Company, the Ludlow massacre...

I view it as a philosophy of good sense when business is regulated, rather than viewed as some sort of savior with "invisible hands" that will float around and make everyone prosperous :p

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can't really laugh at that, even ironically. That just boils my blood. The sheer, utter hypocrisy of these people! ARRRRRGGHHH! :mad:

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Watch Bush veto the Dem. bills, then more people will get pissed off... then a Dem win in '08.... this is the next two years

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

exactly. i find it strange that so many libertarians are for "free" business when those unregulated businesses are actively infringing on the rights of people. personally, the rights of people come before the rights of corporations.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly how i'm seeing it too.

the republicans wont stand a chance no matter the canidate if Bush doesn't get his act together. by trying to strong arm the Dems hes just going to kill any chance they had because it'll put people's backs up.

and Bush won't compromise, hes not the sort of person to do that, which is why he was a failure to begin with.

lets hope that even with Bush doing this the Dems don't get out of control either and ruin their chances. they've done it before and they could do it again.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Thank you. It baffles me that libertarians can call for lassez-faire capitalism even with all of these examples of businesses that have completely destroyed lives of people or the environment.

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

"Gee, Mr. President, what big balls you have!"

"The better to control the debate with, my dear."

The Dems want out. Bush claims only more troops will lead to victory. This way not only will the Dems be keeping Bush from winning the war they are also cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

He's doing the exact opposite of what the opposition wants and will tear the Dems a new one for trying to usurp his war-making powers and for leading America toward defeat.

And the Dems will let him.

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Follow-up:

CNN

That last part is going to be the most interesting. Democrats are likely to find themselves caught between a rock and a hard place, trying to satisfy both the people that want to support the troops (by approving more money) and the people who want to bring them home.

17. toontra macrumors 6502

I don't see why the dems can't take a stand on this. They may loose in the short term by being labeled "cheese-eating surrender monkeys", but when the deployment of more troops is shown not to have worked in 12 months time, surely they can claim the high ground in time for the next elections.

If they don't take a stand on this, after all the c**p that has gone down and the findings of the ISG, then when will they ever be able to take a stand on anything.

Edit: my lack of knowledge of US politics means that I don't know if Bush can push ahead with the increased deployment without Dem. support!

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

See I'm of the opinion that it's GOOD for the Democrats to be seen taking punches from the the far left wing of their party. That way they look more moderate to the majority of Americans.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He isn't now.

Dems can't do much right away, since the money has already been approved for awhile. Barney Frank was on Keith Olberman's show talking about it. But they can put up a fight. Or at least a show of one. They're going to get it from the right anyway, and clearly the rest of the country wants them to.

I see a Dem being in the White House in '08 if they don't screw it up, but actually even if they do. 2 years can be a long time in politics, but I don't see how the Reps can get out of the hole they're in. Let Hillary and Kerry (and Obama, let's face it, he doesn't have a chance) take the brunt for awhile so someone better can slide in. Someone. Anyone. I'm noticing the only Reps in the running are moderates, and the more they play to the right, the less the rest of the country likes them, so I'm thinking they don't have a chance in the general.

Bush has pretty much ruined the chances of any of them for awhile.

20. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

When I heard the sound bytes from house Republicans today complaining that Dems are not consulting or including them in upcoming legislation and that they would have no opportunity to make or suggest amendments I almost died LAUGHING.

After 12 years of Republicans not letting Democrats see laws until minutes before they are voted on, not including them on any of the special committees or consulting with them period on new legislation the vengeful side of me says SCREW THEM.

When Florida Republican Adam Putnam was asked by a reporter today if these public outcries by Republicans are hypocritical because they have been doing this to Democrats for over a decade, his response was,

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ting.net/kazu/guide.guidemain&ampf=module-ATC

My response again was SCREW THEM, they had their chance for bipartisan legislation and bipartisan consensus and they laughed at it and have been running rampant ever since they achieved a majority in the house back in 1995.

Honestly, I know it's probably petty of me but I am taking great satisfaction in seeing Republicans get some of their own medicine finally...:D

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe, but I'm hoping the Dems don't make the same mistakes. Not that I want them to continue to do nothing, but I don't want the pendulum to swing back the other way just to have more of the same. There's a reason why you're not supposed to do these things. There but for the grace...

On the other hand, they're going to be pegged for their partisanship (and yet somehow at the same time, that they don't do anything) anyway. And the Reps do have it coming. Not to mention, right now, the people seem to want it. So, there it is.

22. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

I agree, but after years of Republicans force feeding us every type of self-serving, pork barrel, special interest filled legislation and Dems just rolling over and taking it, I just can't help feeling some small satisfaction watching Nancy Pelosi stick it to them ball buster style.

This is not to say that Dems don't have their snouts in the special interest trough because we know they do. It will be interesting to see the "specifics" of the first piece of Dem legislation which they are calling an "ethics overhaul". This new legislation is supposed to address dinners, gifts and campaign contributions. Both parties have been giving this issue lip service for years and I have to admit I am pretty sceptical of any forward progress on this but I guess i will have to wait and see.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was the first thing the Republicans said when they took over in '94. ;)

I don't consider myself a cynic, just a realist.

24. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

Evans-Novak Political Report suggested a troop surge has a total of 13 votes for it within the Senate. A mix of 12 republicans including John McCain and Independent Joe Lieberman (CFL-CT). 0 Democrats would be supporting this vote, not even Sen. Ben Nelson (D-NE) or Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA).

If a troop increase gets a vote in congress expect it to fail and Dems will be happy to go on record about it. Rep. Wasserman-Schultz (D-FL, and a smart one too) was debating Rep. Kay Granger (R-TX, another smart one) about this on Harball. Both said they will go on record for this, however Rep. Schultz seemed a bit more gung ho about having that vote trail.

Of note, the fun begins in a few hours, I plan to keep the TV on C-SPAN all day and hopefully watch as my BRAND NEW DEMOCRATIC Representative Nick Lampson get sworn in (again, after a 4 year lapse, stupid redistricting). I'm looking forward to watching Rep.-elect Patrick Murphey (PA-8) and Rep-elect Jerry McNerney (CA-11) get sworn in as well.

What can I say? Once you start learning about the individual characteristics of the 535 members of Congress, you get a little more optimistic on what is possible.