Bush came to work today

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The President showed up at the Cleveland Clinic for a "Town Hall" meeting about health benefits. I work in the research building, which is right across the street from the hotel where he was. On my way into work, I noticed 2 police cars at every intersection, unmarked cars driving around everywhere, and certain streets blocked off with city snowplows. I've never seen so many Ford Crown Victorias in my life! :D

When I got into work, there was a fire alarm as soon as the motorcade got close. Local coast guard helicopters circled overhead while the motorcade was moving. I managed to get onto one of the pedestrian bridges overlooking the street; policemen were everywhere making people turn off cameras (I forgot my digital anyway or I would have sneaked a few.) There were snipers on the roof, and everybody was waving to them. :p

Our department chair is a staunch Democrat, and he declined the invitation to attend. :p :D

Don't want to make a political discussion, I just thought all the security was cool to watch. I read on the internet rumors that he is also here for a "secret" consultation for a heart condition. (The Cleveland Clinic is one of the top cardiac hospitals in the world - rated #1 in the US)

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

He's coming to London soonish.Given that there are millions of people only to eager to damage him I'm looking forward to London being locked down totally.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh God! Is he? :(

I feel a foreign holiday beckoning...

4. mpw Guest

Why? Were they stopping people who were pointing out his invisible suit made him look naked?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Given the general negative or at best, ambivalent feelings, about Mr Bush in the UK we hopefully will be at least spared the grinning Tony backslapping & waving to the adoring masses...

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Aww, the President that give a bad name to America.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

He has to some extent...

Do people in the U.S. genuinely wonder why that is?

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

About 50,000,000 of them, yeah.

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I do not wonder why I know why. ;)

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Oh... I thought they were the ones who didn't care.

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Oh not again!

Surely Blair would avoid having his buddy turn up so close to an election. We all know Bush is about as popular as a dose of the clap over here.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, he's probably just doing it to wind up Gordon Brown...

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If I see a high-five and a slap on the ass by either of those 2 on the news, I'll be sick.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's when they pretend to spot someone they know in the crowd and point at them and smile. That's really what irritates me...

16. makisushi macrumors 6502

Maybe he will show up in a Nazi uniform, as a joke.

17. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Doesnt this belong in the Political discussions forum?

I dont really see Bush-bashing comments as appropriate for community discussion personally

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It'll get put there soon enough.

19. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Bush-bashing, maybe not, but lack of political discussion in everyday life has contributed to the US becoming very dumbed-down. (like our pres :D)

20. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Sniper on rooftops just for a visit to a meeting at a clinic. Wow. Did you wave at the snipers to?

Do you know how long he was there to justify all that security and the money spent on his little trip?

To bad you did not get any snapshots. If you did, you might be getting phone calls and men in black suits knocking at your door :p

21. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well then, if you're so smart (along with everyone else here who thinks Bush is a moron, excluding those who weren't born in the US, or live here), then why aren't you the president?

Calling Bush dumb really does nothing more than add more fuel to the fire. It's not going to help him get unelected, and it's more than likely not going to help your cause at all, if it doesn't hurt it.

Have fun as you guys (Bush bashers) will, but just realize how childish you sound when you do...

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, Bush-bashers are the only ones who like to call people names...

23. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Snap, looks like this got political anyway...

I was just interested in seeing the visit up close, that's all. Cleveland is a large city, but nowhere near as large as many others. A presidential visit is fairly uncommon.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, while I understand your point, at some point you have to wonder why so many people comment about Bush the way they do, the globe over.

More people, for a variety of reasons, dislike our current President and/or his policies, than in recent memory. Their opinions are valid, and worth noting, even if you happen to disagree. Perusing this thread, I did not see as much Bush-bashing as a sampling of legitimate opinion.

Voicing an opinion about something that happens to reflect poorly on Bush is not the same as going out-of-your-way to make a rhetorical comment at his expense. I think many forget or ignore that (and similar) distinctions.

As to the original post, a few comments/questions:
    - what was the significance of the fire alarm? coincidence? deliberate policy by either an employee or the SS?
    - why were cameras prohibited?
    - I always find it amusing that Cleveland has a Coast Guard. I understand it is on a huge lake, but it still makes me smirk, as it is middle America.
    - how did you learn about this "secret" appointment at the heart clinic? Doesn't sound too secret to me...
    - did you have an opportunity to go to the "Town Hall" meeting yourself? Did anyone you know go? I am curious about impressions.

25. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Which is a discussion best suited for the political comments forum

Saying he is the President to give a bad name to America is not a legitimate opinion of any sort...It is slander. If someone wanted to discuss the validity of that statement, once again Community Discussion is not the place for that. Sure everyone is entitled to voice their opinions no matter how they feel about the President, but I don't want to come to Community Discussion and see stuff like that.

What the thread started off as is fine, but when you want to start analyzing the behavior of the President and people's feelings towards him, then it becomes inappropriate subject matter for this area...No matter the slant of it.