Bush challenges hundreds of laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 30, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Boston Globe

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bad enough that Bush thinks he is above the law, but I also suspect that the neocons are trying to establish a precedent for future Republican presidents seeking sweeping, almost dictatorial powers. Any GOP president from hereon in will be able to say, "Well, under the Bush administration...".

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

But he can send himself using an impersonator up in front of the assembled media. Isn't he a swell guy?

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What's the difference between this practice and the line-item veto, which was found to be unconstitutional in 1998?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'd say someone should challenge Bush's Constitutional "authority" all the way up to the Supreme Court, but with the judges we've got there now, I'm not sure I'd like the result. :mad:

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    But isn't this what Kings do?

Or is he a God?

I forget...

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Our God-Emporer huh? Just keep the spice -- I mean oil -- flowing...

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The line-item veto tripped over the quite specific language in the Constitution specifying budgeting authority.

And because it was challenged.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll keep saying it til it happens: IMPEACH. NOW.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

We are too blind and lazy to do it. Or too worried how we will pay for our gas and electric bills to really care. Or too worried that our jobs will be shipped over to China, India, or Pakistan.

The ones with money control the debate. Those of us in the retail/service industry are being forced to live like paupers in order to avoid very long commutes. Ihat a customer reply to me when we started talking about the cost of living and rents in the DC area look me in in the eye and say, "you could always move to West Virginia".

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm in almost West Va. In fact our subdivision up here on the mountain backs to the Appalacian Trail.

I made my move nearly 15 years ago and I'm still living like a pauper, even with what many would consider a good income.

You're right, people are afraid that if they act too boldly, that they could
    endanger their livelihood, their security and the safety of their loved ones.

I'm trying to keep some faith in our system of government and hope that a few noble souls still have the guts to act so that the likes of Bush and Co.
    leave the White House in disgrace before the end of this term of office.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Might as well declare himself Caesar, disband Congress, and go invade Russia. Sorry, mixing anti-Christ metaphors here. This isn't even a conspiracy at this point. It's all right out there where everyone can see it. And yet, they still get away with it.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

14. toontra macrumors 6502

Yeah, hilarious. Makes you want to forgive him for starting illegal wars, being totally incompetent and reigning over the most corrupt political regime in US history. I'm glad he takes it all in such good humour.

Actually, with his family's and friends' financial interests growing stronger daily he's got plenty to laugh about.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Oh yeah, he's laughing all the way to his secret Swiss bank account.

16. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

ASSASSINATE. NOW. :eek:

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would much rather see the Bushco boys spending the rest of their lives rotting away in prison with all the love and tenderness of Abu Grabe

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not an acceptable policy. And believe me, I'm no Bush fan. :rolleyes:

19. aquajet macrumors 68020

Knock, knock. Secret Service is at your door.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Um...I empathize with your disdain for Bush, but that probably not only violates forum rules, could also earn you a visit from the FBI. No kidding. I'd change that if I were you.

21. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

No no, Bush just feels that God talks through him...so I guess that makes him a Priest??

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

Too late. Sniffers already got him. He's likely sitting in a dark cell right now. An ominous SS agent wearing oversized aviator-style glasses with mirrored lenses is asking him questions like, "So, what was your plan?" and "How do you know 'Thomas Veil'? Is he working for you?'" We've all been placed into their crosshairs now. Hold on, let me go see who's at the door...

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd rather not turn him into a martyr. Nor give the neocons fodder. Nor stop the liberals from fighting back, because few speak ill of the dead. Especially the murdered. I'd rather be better than Pat Robertson, too.

24. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

If the FBI paid me a visit for saying that, this country is in far worse condition and than any of us could have guessed. :rolleyes:

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Less has changed than you might assume. Some first-hand knowledge: I am aware of a similar situation, about five years ago, where a person threatened bodily harm to federal officials. Upon being reported, he was indeed visited by two FBI agents who informed him that he'd committed a federal offense. Nothing else happened to this individual, but I imagine he's now got a little file with his name on it at the FBI and the Secret Service.

And no, I am not that person. I was the one who reported him, because he'd threatened me too.