Bush Considers Military Role in Flu Fight

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 4, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

bush seems hell bent on getting rid of or at least circumventing posse comitatus.

and besides the content above, why is bush fanning the flames of fear right now? is it politically movitated or is it just a clueless accident?

2. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

How about using troops as traffic cops. I bet those land mines would be great at slowing down speeders (myself included) :eek:

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's worked for him before. Why stop backing a winning strategy?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

In all fairness, this is something Bush should be thinking about. And the issue of quarantine is a VERY touchy one. I would expect a huge amount of trouble if any part of the country ever has to be put under quarantine. I highly doubt the cops could handle it. At a minimum the NG will have to be involved.

5. katchow macrumors 6502

well, our missiles do have pinpoint accuracy.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

using the NG is the proper response mechanism, afaic.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. If it were anyone else, I might think use of the miltary would be OK in extreme cases like this. But with Bush? No way.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I thought the National Guard was the proper response mechanism for fueling a vicarious Persian safari.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Agreed, but I can foresee the problem growing beyond the ability of the guard to respond, particularly if say a state's main Guard facility were to be contained within the quarantine area.

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

for once i'll have to agree with bush :eek: :eek: :eek:
    at least in principle.
    if a bird-flu pandemia does come and it follows the predicted forecast most scientists fear, the possibility of using the military to enforce quarantines should be at least DISCUSSED in congress.
    the 1918 flu caused 50 million death worldwide. with today's communications the next one, WHEN it comes, may be four times as bad (se a recent national geographic article on the subject, or several articles on Nature). Although of course national health care system should focus on having vaccines ready and/or on its development, prevention and management of population during the outbreak is mandatory to minimize the impact. The best organized structure to do this, in any nation, is the military.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A Major Flu outbreak could be devastating to the world and containment is the best way to stop the spread if it happens but old Bush has all the national guard fighting his B.S. war in Iraq. Lets not forget thats this lil thing called the flu has killed millions in years past. kind of hard to fathom isnt it?

I cant help but wonder is this the time period Jesus spoke of ? seems all prophecy has been fulfilled except for gods two witnesses. Just a random thought.

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

While I agree, this thing is nasty (we actually had a small lecture on it by the deputy head in this morning's assembly :p), is taking complete 100% controll of the military completely necessery? In fact, when you think about it, what good is it really gonna do? Try and shoot the strains? I think Shrub is using the fear surrounding this to get himself yet more powers. He's becoming somewhat of a military dictator. What's next? A Hitler-style "who needs elections" bill?

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Hmmm, IJ, care to weigh in on whether this could be construed as the beginnings of a fascist state? Or, am I simply parnoid....

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

we are close but at least we still get two candidates :rolleyes: :eek:

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That just makes no sense. Maybe he's trying to let people know he's thinking about how to handle the situation?

Bizarre stuff though - almost as if he somehow knows there's going to be a pandemic....

that's just one for the conspiracy theorists....

D

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

let me know what you think when someone in your family is saved by a vaccine derived by their research :rolleyes:

since that is what the WHO, CDC, DOH, UN and about every virologist in the world are saying, I would suggest that he does know. what they don't know when, not if, but the prevalent feeling is that we are overdue for a pandemia, and many fear that the current avian flu could transform into one, with dire consequences if we don't get ready.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

While we're on that general subject, a slightly different article:
    http://nytimes.com/2005/10/05/healt...bbcd1082219&hp&ex=1128571200&partner=homepage

19. tristan macrumors 6502a

Flu's the big scare story now - I watched fifteen minutes on the flu on Dobby and then changed the channel when Andersen Cooper started talking about it too. I'm not too worried, Asia's got 3.8B people and the flu only killed 60 of them. Using the same proportions it would kill 6 people here, which would mean I have a 1 in 50m chance of dying from it. Of course, it could get a lot worse, but that's where it is now. Also, I don't hang around birds very often, and so far there's also been no incidence of human-to-human transmission.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/outbreaks/asia.htm

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There aren't a lot of things politicians do that make sense to me.

He probably just doesn't want to be caught by surprise again. That's the last thing any of us need. People would just accuse him of dropping the ball again. Which I still think he will, but I'm hoping this time he won't.

21. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I just wonder who the military will quarantine, whether it will be a quarantine designed to isolate the infected areas, or whether it will be a quarantine that is designed to protect a few areas from the overall problem.

/on a side note, I am curious about the origins of the word Quarantine.

"Quarantine

n. Any forced stoppage of travel or communication on account of malignant, contagious disease, on land or by sea.
    From the French quarante (=forty). Adding the suffix –aine to French numbers gives a degree of roughness to the figure (like –ish in English), so quarantaine means about forty. Originally when a ship arriving in port was suspected of being infected with a malignant, contagious disease, its cargo and crew were obliged to forego all contact with the shore for a period of around forty days. This term came to be known as period of quarantine."

Not curious anymore. Those still curious about how you would enforce something like this on a large scale.

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I know, why don't we spend some money on detecting the outbreaks, building up our supply of vaccines, and upgrading our public health infrastructure? Wait, that just what Tom Harkin's bill in the Senate will do, but of course the GOP is threatening to stop it dead in its tracks. Why any sane person would try to stop such common sense measures, while promoting military quarantines is beyond me. Perhaps Bush wants to use the military to invade other countries under the cover of quarantines. I know, I know, I'm being paranoid, but these nuts in the Bush administration keep pushing me to think very paranoid thoughts. Do tin-foil hats ward off the flu bug? It maybe the only protection from the disease I'm going to get from Dubya. :mad:

23. tristan macrumors 6502a

In Singapore they used the police to contain SARS and monitor the quarantine. "If you leave your house before your temperature goes down, you're going to jail." It worked pretty well.