Bush finally admits the inevitable...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FleurDuMal, Oct 19, 2006.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

The slowest horse has finally crossed the finishing line...

As the disaster in Vietnam effectively ended US military intervention in South East Asia, hopefully this will mean the US will rule out for certain possible future military intervention in Iran and Syria?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What happened to Stay the Course, Stay the Course, Stay the Course? I doubt there ever was Course. He wanted Saddam at any costs and it has costs us all a lot. We need to be asking Bush why he never got Bin Laden? but it looks like it was just another Rove Lie. Anyone wish Saddam was back in charge in Iraq?

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think George should be put in Saddam's cell, and Saddam should be sentenced to working in a soup kitchen for homeless Shiites.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The solution I feel is to break up the country into 3 states, Shia,Sunni,Kurd with some type of federal constitution where the three sharing the resources of the country. This would shut down the fighting and give Iraq some hope.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, but they still should has the weak unity government. Otherwise, independent Kurdistan will coz kurds inside Turkey to generate violence.

6. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Unfortunately though the US will never accept that (at least not for the moment). The US would have no problem with a autonomous Sunni or Kurd state, but a Shia state would be seen as too dangerous. They fear an independent Shia state would gravitate towards Iran, and would be seen as a victory for the Iranians. Iran is already going from strength to strength in its bid to become a regional power; the US is doing everything it can to prevent that and sustain the Saudi's in that position.

Y'see, for the US nationalistic chauvinism is more important than a peaceful settlement.

7. toontra macrumors 6502

This is specifically what Bush & Blair have said they will not allow. Even the Generals who have recently been questioning the current policy say that if the country was divided it would mark total and abject failure of the whole mission, and should therefore be avoided at all costs. Rather drag on with counter-productive policies than admit failure!!

That being said, it does seem like the only practical solution available in this self-made catastrophe. I wonder how long (and how many more lives) it will take for these clowns to face reality (let me take a stab at answering that - 'till they leave office).

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So much for self-determination, eh?

9. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, Bush is determining the issue himself.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh yes, I forgot that he's The Decider.

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The media are finally picking this up...
    Here's CNN's front page:

[​IMG]

Seems long overdue, but it's good to see they're not as afraid to raise the issue.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

George would resort to throwing his feces at the guards and SH would spit in the soup pot :D Surely there are more, hmmmm, stringent penalites available. Perhaps a stint at Abu Ghraib for bush and SH could dig up the mass graves he created?

13. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Actually, I retract what I said before. The two people in control are

1) Karl Rove
    2) God

...yes, in that order.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You have it wrong, Its Draft Dodger Cheney, Draft Dodger Rove then Im missing from the National Guard Bush as figure head.
    Im not saying 3 seperate countrys, im saying 3 seperate states within 1 country just as states inside the U.S. A federal Iraq that tells the states what they cant and cant do. If our Hero President doesnt go with this everyone knows the Shiites outnumber Kurds and Sunni's so in the end they will run Iraq with Irans help. Bush has F this up big time. What hasnt he & Congress F up'd? anything?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Better yet, cage match. 2 men enter, 1 man leaves. With the winner getting life in the gulag. Who's with me? I mean, in ancient times, the kings fought alongside their armies.

Not that I'd root for either one, but I'm sure Vegas would have some good odds on one over the other.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

let us note that bush did have a plan for getting out of vietnam.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, but that was just him. He's been able to stay out of Iraq himself pretty easily most of them time. Plus, he had Daddy's help back then. Not so much now.

They could all pull a Cheney or Limbaugh. Seems like a good exit strategy to me. Well, better than we've got.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Obviously, some of us see it differently.

It will be interesting to see the results of the elections. My guess is that the Democrats will not get all the gains that they are projecting. They may get some but not near all. Too many conservative folks out there that believe we should be in Iraq, and that the war on terrorism is important.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have to ask, what does Iraq have to do with terrorism?

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You're kidding...right?! :eek:

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, and now they get a chance to vote for a party who also believe that Iraq and terrorism are important issues.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Again, many would disagree with you.

The Democratic party is not known for it's support of defense. The Clinton years demonstrated that with their huge military budget and personnel cuts -- plus the strong distain that President Clinton personally had for the military.

And now, the Democrats are known as the "Cut and Run" (don't really like that term but that's the buzzword of today) party.

Whether we like it or not, Iraq has become the focal point for terrorists. We cannot fail. The insurgents are hoping that the American public can be swayed to pull out. If that happens, watch out. We will be in a worse situation and will have more attempts on the homeland.

23. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Before the Americans invaded? Very little.

After the Americans invaded? A lot.

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

He wasn't kidding, and anybody that didn't fall for Bush's talk isn't kidding either. Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism before we invaded and made it a hotbed of terrorism.

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

so your reaction is to renew your support for the very people who are entirely responsible for creating those terrorist.
    yep, that sounds logical :rolleyes: