Bush: gasoline replacement within 6 yrs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dops7107, Feb 1, 2006.

1. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4672216.stm

You heard it here first. Anyone care for a wager? Notice his exact words:

I take that to mean that bioethanol or something similar will be a serious economic alternative to gasoline. Of course, if someone cared to do the math(s), they'd find that bioethanol is a dubious net energy producer.

Time will tell.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i was thinking the same thing when he mentioned hydrogen powered cars.

he didn't really get into the topic of conservation, eh? just some faux-inspiring talk about american ingenuity and using our math and science skills to... what, overcome the 1st law of thermodynamics?

it reminded me of those comic drawings of a complex system with the black box for "and then a miracle happens".

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

of course when gasoline reaches $10/gal in six years, biofuels will be a viable alternative....

D :D

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think Bush may be seriously mentally ill,he appears to be under the delusion that if he says something that makes it true.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Let me guess, he wants to replace gasoline with this stuff called "petroleum" he heard about in Europe??

That or nuke-u-lar vee-hickles....

6. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

<off-color humor> You have to read between the lines of Bush's speech - He talked of Alternative fuels and he talked of immigration reform being essential to our economy.

The Natural inference is that our future cars will be powered by (illegal) immigrants at the cost effective price of a few dollars an hour. Whether this will entail a more luxurious version of pedicabs or something grander is too early to tell...<end off-color humor>

that or faith or hope-powered vehicles...

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

soylent ultra is people!

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah now you've done it... You reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Ed Begley Jr. drives a car 'powered by his own sense of self-satisfaction'.
    ;)

However, in all seriousness, without the financial muscle behind that promise it will remain as unfulfilled as Bush's promise of hydrogen cars.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What's in it for big oil? He wouldn't have stepped so near the edge of the cliff if there wasn't some kind of a payoff involved, maybe he thinks oil has done well enough lately given their massive earnings statements.

If nothing else, his "addicted" statement will start a dialogue about our oil use. That has to be a good thing to the huge proportion of Americans who've stuck their heads in the sand.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What, like: "Honey, we're using too much oil." "Yes, dear."?

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Who's he kidding? Go look up Bush and Oil. The 2 are so intertwined, this can't be anything more than talk. His Dad began his career in the oil industry and still has a vested interest. Bush himself used to run an oil company (right into the ground, actually). Some of his biggest contributors are oil tycoons. Half his cabinet have tons of oil stock. Rummie, Cheney, Rove, Rice, Wolfowitz. This is all talk to make people feel better that gas is creeping back up toward $3.00 a gallon in some places while his buddies report record profits. When we went to war in Iraq, what was the first thing we started guarding? Hint, it wasn't the weapons storage. Same thing the terrorists keep trying to blow up. The oil.

This is all just more rhetoric from an administration who talks big about good things, then does the exact opposite.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have the same comment that football crowds use when a ref makes a bad call...

"Bull-****! Bull-****! Bull-****!"

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Not if it takes $15 worth of petroleum to grow, harvest and process a gallon of biofuel.

Me, I'm hellbent on securing a 100 kg source of Pu-238. Gonna build me a really big RTG and I'll be set for the next 87 years.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Note Bush said 6 years. As far as I can remember he gets booted out of the White house in 3 years. By that time gas will be $5 a gallon (still a mere pittance compared to European prices, but unheard of in the US). The public will be pushing extremely hard for an alternative from his successor. He doesn't even need a plan.

I always love it when the president makes promises that don't need to be fulfilled until he is long out of office. (S)He can sound good on paper and really doesn't need to do a damn thing since failure can always be blamed on the successor.

Could this be a great hedge to get the WH back in 2012? Have they already realized that '08 is looking less and less hopeful? Are they planting the seed that "we" can have an alternative in 6 years, then when his successor doesn't pull it off the GOP can use it in the 2012 campaign saying "we" would have had it in 6 years but the Dems can't get their act together...

16. FatTony macrumors regular

NPR interviewed an expert on switchgrass yesterday. W mentioned making ethanol from switchgrass in the SOTU. This expert's predictions and models had very favorable stats for switchgrass as an energy source. Apparently you get 4 units of energy back out for every 1 unit you put in. Also, growing the crop removes some of the carbon from the atmosphere that is introduced from burning it for energy.

Of course, I'll believe it when I see it...but I'll enjoy a little wishful thinking at this point.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

let me guess: they simply make some efforts to replace gasoline cars with diesel counterparts :rolleyes:

18. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I heard this interview. The guy also pointed out that this grass grows naturally in the US and Canada, and would take minimal fertilizer to get it to grow really well. Like you, I will believe it when I see it (but hey-I am an optimist :) )

19. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I'd probably be driving my oil-free scooty-puff sr. to work right now if the money spent on the Iraq war had been put toward developing an alternative energy source. :D

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Wasn't there a guy in the mid-late 70's that created what he said was an aclohol burning engine, who died shortly after that in a car wreck (aka the CIA courtesty of Bush and his arab friends cut his break lines)?????

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Don't top fuel dragsters/funny cars use alcohol for fuel??

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

A lot of our petrol here runs with up to 10% ethanol added to the mix.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Make sure it's the Scooty Puff Sr. The Jr. sucks. :p But hey, if global warming gets really bad, at least we can move the Earth a couple of miles away from the Sun. ;) That'll fix it for a couple of years.

Sorry, Futurama references.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If petroleum oil is our heroin, ethanol is methadone.