Bush Goes on the Offensive Against Critics of War in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Nov 12, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe I've got a short or faulty memory, but I can't recall Veteran's Day ever being used for such obvious political purposes.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-bush12nov12,1,3987699.story

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We shouldnt ever ask our troops to Die for a Lie, WMDs in Iraq was a lie.....He wants to hold onto to his lie now that he has over 2,000 killed, 15,000 injured and limbless and over 300 billion U.S. Taxpayers money down the drain. We fought to have our freedoms if the Iraqi's want Freedom let them fight for it. President Bush is simply spewing rhetoric that Rove and Cheney have fed him for years. Tell me about those WMD's Mr President? Tell me about the yellowcake Mr President? Tell me about a CIA operative who was outed by your own People Mr President? Tell me where was the evidence for going into Iraq Mr President? There wasnt any but you fed me WMDs in Iraq for a year on a everyday basis while knowing you didnt have nothing.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Except, Mr. President, neither Congress nor the nation had access to the full range of intelligence that you did.

The more we find out, the more it appears that you fed Congress and the American people the intelligence that supported your view, and not the intelligence that cast doubt on your view. You had both versions, and you only gave the rest of us one version.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The current Republican spin exercise is this "they all looked at the same intelligence" litany. We're hearing it from virtually every Republican politician and pundit these days, in exactly those words. It's approximately a half-truth but I suppose a half a truth is about all they've got now. Apparently Mr. Rove is back on his game, at least for now.

All of that aside, I was surprised to hear so little outrage about the president using Veteran's Day for such a naked partisan, political attack. Talk about playing politics with our troops!

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I could swear we were just talking about this. ;)

But anyway...he's going to go on repeating the same old lies over and over again. It's at his own peril. I think that now that more people realize the truth, his rhetoric is likely to backfire and make him look even more like a jackass for insisting on things that we know to be false.

As to the content of his speech...it seems to me the best way to respect and support our troops is to send them in harm's way only when absolutely necessary to defend our country.

Bush sent them to a war of choice, a war designed to make money, a war that the neo-cons wanted even before Bush got into office. What kind of message does that send the troops?

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

What does a lame duck with teeth sound like? Add daffy, with a lisp, and it could get even more ugly before it gets uglier.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

absolutely agree. shameful. perhaps on the next arbor day, bush will have a go at environmentalists.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

People are so used to crap like this, it doesn't even phase them anymore. It is of course backfiring though. He's only continuing to speak to his base and those oblivious to what's really going on. Even some of them aren't falling for it anymore. He can hide behind the troops all he wants, most people are tired of the b.s.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Can you imagine the din had a Democrat used Veterans Day for a stunt like this? The airwaves would be blistering nonstop for a month...