Bush: "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wordmunger, Sep 1, 2005.

1. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Bush is a damn liar. Or maybe just extremely ignorant. Or stupid.

Either way, good thing he can't be reelected.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There's a third option.. maybe he's just not very smart and was trying to "think on his feet" and give a little sound bite (byte?) and ended up eating his foot instead? What's he doing on Good Morning America anyway? Is he even back at the White House yet working on Federal deployment?

3. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Here's a link with many, many more quotes from the interview. He's only looking stupider. Or more ignorant. Or more "liarish." Or whatever.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Funny how 48 hours before the storm hit, I was listening to an interview on the BBC with an Army engineer talking about the levees possibly breaking...

Still, his cop-out and yet revealing words are 'I don't think...'

7. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

a new low for insensitivity and stupidity. I didn't think it possible. He never fails to astound me with further idiocy...

8. tristan macrumors 6502a

I think its a lie, but it could easily backfire.

Bush really doesn't get it. When a disaster hits, the elected officials are supposed to be out there with aid the next day. That's basically the reason we have a government.

Remember when we were dropping food on Iraq? Don't suppose there's any of that food left over for New Orleans, is there?

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Quoted for truth.

"Its going to be hard to get gasoline to some markets" -Bush, 10 seconds ago in his news conference. Way to go George. Let the panic begin!

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I posted the same quote in the old thread. I'm amazed that Bush's handlers even let him open his mouth to breath these days. That quote should be replayed over and over on the news followed by endless diagrams of just where the federal monies went that would have protected New Orleans from this well anticipated disaster. But of course as another thread has shown us, the "real" reason for this catastrophe is well known. Just amazing!

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The Times-Picayune has been criticising the federal policies on the levies since the cuts last year. The National Geographic ran an article last year which is eerily prescient on the dangers of a hurricane directly hitting New Orleans. News of the levees breaking was what every news anchor was waiting for as the storm hit. Fox showed that irritating graphic showing the bowl filling from either side of the levee every hour from Sunday afternoon onwards.

The lack of information on the ground is unbelievable with the disaster management plan looking like it was put together on the back of an envelope on Monday morning. The lack of effective communication given the obvious hazards of the cell phone system being taken out is ridiculous in this day and age. On TV, so many people seem to have no idea where to go to even for bottled water let alone transportation out of the city.

And why weren't buses called on Sunday to try to get those without their own transport/unable to afford gas out of the city before it struck? Surely they had to know it would be easier to do so before the event?

12. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've asked that question myself -- but on the other hand, remember that incoming lanes were actually closed on many highways, and outbound lanes were gridlocked, so it might not have actually been as easy as it sounds.

On the other other hand, how about some creative solutions? Maybe they could have used city buses to evacuate at least some of the people.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Im guessing he figured that since he got away with saying 'I don't think anyone anticipated the levels of violence we're seeing in Iraq' he thought he could get away with the same foolishness again...

Oddly the media seems to be calling him on it this time.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Found this via a link from an article by Wes Clark over at TPM Cafe. Notice the date of the article.

link emphasis added.

The Clark column is worth a read as well, and not just for the following part on the New Orleans situation.

15. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Bush: "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees"

Bush "I don't think. Anyone anticipate the breach of the levees?"

I needed to correct his punctuation & grammar.

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you forgot:

D.) All of the above

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the washington post article linked above:
    wtf? don't we always have a choice?

and this, i think, illustrates bush's problems:
    1. he has no capacity for empathy
    2. he should be friggin' FURIOUS at the lackluster response. rather than shrug and half-apologize, heads should be rolling and he should let everyone know he's pissed and won't stand for it. that would almost be, dare i say it, leadership.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My favorite part of Bush's statement was where he expressed his 'zero-tolerance' policy for looting. I mean come on... is it that hard to draw a distinction between those taking things to survive and those taking TVs?

And this is Scott McClellan's clarification:
    These kinds of statements beggar belief.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

About an hour ago on the radio, I heard a live report from a BBC reporter in the French Quarter saying that a very ill and dazed 60-year old man with glaucoma and diabetes had offered to buy some water from him... More correspondents were trapped in a hotel with one day's food remaining.

Does it really sound like a comprehensive aid plan is in place on the ground yet?

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Can't they drop giant sponges throughout the city to soak up the flood waters?

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Uh, no?

I just read another story about the situation in New Orleans as it stands today. Even discounting for the usual amount of media sensationalizing, it is grim beyond belief. It is inconceivable to me that this is the best we can do to mount a relief effort within the borders of our own country. That city should be swarming with helicopters and boats. As bad as the situation is, nobody should be desperately hungry or thirsty.

22. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so was the foresight. c'mon, you've seen the articles about the cut funding for the levee system, several days worth of warnings of a category 5 storm and a recommendation to leave the city.

so far, only you and bush have acted like this was a surprise.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Complete bollocks.

Projections for the scale of this disaster were widely publicised days beforehand -- plenty of time to make contingency plans and yet here we are, a few days later and the situation is getting worse, not better.