Bush: I would understand if Israel chose to attack Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 20, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

haaretz

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I bet they wouldn't stand in the way of it, either.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Whilst Israel has in the past operated against US wishes with something like this they won't act without US permission whether that be public or secret.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If Iran really had a program just for Energy they wouldnt be playing all these games, its clearly a weapons program because only a weapons program would needed to be done in secret all these years. Stick & carrot give them the stick for a weapons program. Israel is the stick. I doubt many in the western "free" world would be upset if Irans weapons nuclear installations were bombed into rubble. Or carrot but lets face it Iran sitting on that oil isnt interested in nuclear power or the carrot.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The US Administration is just as gung-ho and mouthy as the Iranian, yet I don't hear the international community making any fuss about secret US weapon systems far more dangerous than any the Iranians may produce.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Nail/Head interface. :)

7. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Come now, it's common knowledge that rules are only for non-Americans! You can't possibly expect that the US should act as it wants others to act!:rolleyes:

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I can enjoy my little fantasy, can't I?

9. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I can't even imagine it...;)

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well at least this time they admit that they don't have good inteligence.

11. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I suppose that's a start, anyway. It's probably only because they don't want to get in a war with Iran right now - the minute they change their mind they'll have evidence of an immediate threat.:rolleyes:

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What is the justification for waging war against any country that wants to develop nuclear weapons? Whatever it is, it will be pretty lame. I am unsure how many countries now have the bomb; US, GB, USSR, China, Pakistan, India, France, Israel. Are there any others? Regardless, it would seem to be a rather shaky to begin hostilities backed only with an anti-proliferation treaty signed by others.

13. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Secretly, Iran is pissing it's pants that Israel shall take a role. ( I mean, how many times do you need to get your ass kicked ? )

Maybe because the US at least doesn't publicly call for genocide?

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Why bother talking about it when you're busy causing the deaths of tens of thousands in Iraq?

15. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Of course the US doesn't publicly call for genocide. The US kills anyone who stands in its way regardless of race.

16. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Equal opportunity, thats politically correct! ( Whats your beef?)

17. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Really?

If the Israelis attacked Iran, they would have to keep on doing so, since they can't conquer it or occupy it. The Iranians aren't stupid. If they have a nuclear weapons program (and there is no proof of this), then it will be spread out in such a way to make it almost impossible to shut down.

The Iranians would retaliate with terrorist attacks against Israeli interests and perhaps even Jewish interests worldwide. Israel can't stop that, which is why they will do it. The Hezbollah will almost certainly strike at Northern Israel again, and as we have seen, Israel cannot beat or even severely degrade Hezbollah as a fighting force.

In addition, an Israeli attack on Iran would push Iraq further into the Iranian camp. I doubt Iran would feel any compulsion not to be more open about supporting Shia insurgents, since any Israeli attack would be seen as evidence of US connivance.

The west is in a weak position with regard to Iran. They cannot invade Iran from any neighbouring country, because Muslims in all neighbouring countries would disrupt such an invasion. They can bomb it, but then the American and British troops in Iraq, would be slaughtered in vengeance, leaving Iran with virtual control of most of Iraq.

If the US did not have so many soldiers occupying Islamic countries, this would not be a problem.

18. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

And remember the American forces are stretched already. If there was a war with Iran there would almost certainly have to be a draft - there's just no way they could dredge up enough personnel otherwise.

A war with Iran would be long, bloody, probably un-winnable, and might involve the use of nuclear weapons. That's why the Bush administration will not start a war with Iran, and despite the American bluster the Iranians will most likely have nuclear weapons within the next few years.

19. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

they (the Israelis) did bomb a nuclear reactor in Iraq back in the day. Not out of the realm of possibility that they would put together an airstrike on an Iranian reactor, too...

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nah, they've been buying up German submarines with nuclear launch capability. They'll probably strike from the Gulf. Less hostile airspace to go through.

21. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

probably exactly why they got them. Good point.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because that's what you say about the quality of your intelligence, right? ;)

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Because we've proven to be dangerous, while there's some doubt and confusion about Iran. ;)

24. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Although our intentions are worthy of skepticism and our recent actions have severely hurt our credibility, I believe that a democracy, from square one, gets a little more credibility than a dictatorship.

25. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

You mean a democracy like South Africa?

The sooner Israel is rid off, the sooner peace will be possible. They're a bunch of mostly European colonialists living on someone else's land.