Bush in 2008?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, May 11, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This would be Jeb Bush this time around...I know that the 2004 election hasn't even been tackled, so this may be a tad premature, but do you think he might be the rep. nominee in 2008? Do you think he might have a better chance following his brother GW (if he wins), or competing against Kerry (if he wins)? The next 4 years will probably be fairly rough, with having to deall with the fallout of Iraq and the huge defecits, so I could easily see Kerry, if he does a poor job, or is stymied by the Rep. Congress, become another perceived Carter...I could also see Bush (GW) continuing to pass the buck to the future and distracting the populace enough to get through his second term looking ok...opinions on Jeb? In general? On the state of the US and the world come 2008 (w/ either pres. in 2004)?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jeb Bush is a lousy governor, so I can't see that he would change as president.

e.g. Floriduh's voters approved an amendment to make certain there is high speed rail between major cities--Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, and Tallahassee. The governor doesn't like it so he wants Floriduh's voters to change their minds. It's much easier than actually dealing with the issue, right?

3. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

UH...as a resident of Texas in the mid-to-late 90's, GW was a lousy governor also...and it did not stop him...also, Jeb is married to a hispanic woman I believe, and I could very well see this spun by the Rep. party to appeal to the large contingency of hispanic/minority voters...

4. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

the republicans need new blood (literally and figuratively)
    so far both bushs have been poor leaders with the current bush being a bellicose bass turd and a simpleton whose world view seems to revolve around both his and his accomplices stock portfolio

If republicans hope to remain a viable political party then they need to move far right religiously to stoke their christian moralist base or once more discover the middle of the road so as to appeal to the majority of americans

for a while the republican and democratic parties seemed to be moving towards each other with both parties spouting similar platitudes now, however, the republicans have lost their way, they no longer even have their economic low tax low debt policies to stand by

bushy2 has managed to combine into one the most disgusting and disturbing traits of both democrats and republicans, a false facade of moral rightousness/christin "family values" and the former trends of tax and spend democrats

I think the republicans have moved into a time of crisis as a party to which the nomination of bushy3 may deal a fatal blow

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i believe this country is headed for a meltdown in the next 4 years. whichever party isn't in power will get the WH in 2008. i don't want it to be jeb bush, so in a way getting gw bush "re"-elected would suit that purpose for me.

6. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Isn't that so depressing...damned if you do...damned if you don't...I just want to emigrate to Canada for a while...

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Whew, for a second there I thought you were talking about Neil!

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bush family calendar says: 2016

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You may be able to move in with Alec Baldwin. It is my understanding that he moved to Canada after Bush was elected in 2000.

10. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am not sure if you implied this, but I am not necessarily a dyed-in-the-wool Liberal. In 2000, my favorite candidates were McCain and Bradley, not necessarily because of their party, but because, right or wrong, I respected them as individuals, and although I disagreed with them both on selective issues, I believed them to be somewhat intelligent and more importantly, people with some integrity. I ended up voting for Gore, as I had Bush as a Gov. in Texas, and regardless of politics, I felt he did a poor job, and was unprepared for the office of President, as he had so little experience (Texas has a very weak governership). Nevertheless, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He ran as a "compassionate conservative" and a "uniter". Neither panned out, and we are left with deficits, a divided country and an ill-advised and poorly planned war, which will cost us greatly. At times I feel GW is unfairly criticized, like the recession being his fault and so on, but the reason I am so depressed about the state of affairs, is that He has NOT been an integral, intelligent man in the oval office, and we are left with either 4 more years of this, or the malignment of someone else (in this case, Kerry) who will have to try and clean up his mess. Either way, the Republican party wins, and most people lose...besides, Vancouver is a great town.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I did not necessarily imply this. ;) I didn't know if you were really considering emigrating to Canada or if that was just a figure of speech.
    Well, there's something we can agree on. ;)

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I agree that there's a good chance that if Kerry wins, there's so much Bush crap to clean up that he'll be blamed and out in 2008. If Bush wins, well, we're all in trouble. Lord knows what he'd do with the free hand of a second term. I mean, at some point we have to stop "swatting at flies" and invade China, right?

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

We'll all just go live with Skunk for awhile. I'm sure he won't mind a few Americans running around his place ofr 4 years...

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Apparently that goes in the pile of "was never said" along with Gore claiming to invent the internet...

15. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I do have UK citizenship(along with US)...I just prefer Canada(no disrespect Skunk...)

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'd better start work on that extension, then! :)

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I stand corrected. It was just wishful thinking on my part.

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I had no proof one way or the other... I believed it when I heard he said it and I believed it when I heard he didn't actually say it (second made more sense since he didn't actually leave)... without seeing a person actually saying something it is hard to know what is true and what is not in these situations...

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, Jeb is married to a Hispanic woman (Columba) and she's as bad as he is. He sent his son out on the campaign trail in 2000 for G.W. to capture the hispanic vote. He could send his drug-using, prescription-forging daughter to help address prescription drug reform.

I could see how his son would appeal to the Hispanic community, but any other groups? I don't think so.

20. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I hope that Jeb does not run for the Presidency. Plus, I doubt he would be elected, at all.
    Now, who would the GOP run in 2008.

I love chinese food, so by definition, I love Rice!!! :D :D :D

Dunno if she has political aspirations though.

21. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Jeb doesn't have a monopoly on illegal-drug using children.
    Al Gore Jr. was busted for illegal drugs too.

22. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I believe that Jeb was the nominee apparent until George won in Texas.

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Perhaps you should delve a little deeper into what actually happened...

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He was arrested for marijuana possession. I guess this is still a big deal in some states.

25. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

And what was the circumstances of Bush's offsprings problem? I think by comparison you will find young Gore's arrest to be minor... one can hardly compare the two.