Bush invokes the Gelding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Jul 17, 2006.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So no one's going to touch this? Ok, he said a curse word when he thought no one was listening. No big deal right? I don't know, some people seem to believe it's more telling than we'd think.

http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/2006/07/things_that_mak.html

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Eh, I saw it live on CNN this morning and didn't think it was that big of a deal. They didn't even edit out the word in the closed captioning.

I'm sure one can find better things about which to criticize Bush than his choice in language, but at least he did pronounce it properly.

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Though chewing with his mouth open, talking while eating, and being a potty mouth doesn't exactly speak well for him, that's not the worst part. Read Ezra's article. The implications are kinda scary.

Nice. :D

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I wonder what his fanatical Christian base will think of him now :rolleyes:

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Last night, either Letterman or Leno, said that he had mispronounced "Shiite" :D

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's clear he doesn't understand what irony is.

7. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Violence and cursing are fine. It's just sex that's bad. And hippies.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I can tell you that if I was president the word I'd be using more than any other throughout my presidency would be "bull****".

9. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, but that would be acceptable because it's in context... and I'm guessing you aren't a self righteous hypocrite. ;)

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing bad. They'll think he's just like them. A Christian everyman.

Most of these far-right moralizing types swear in private themselves I'd venture to guess.

Of course if it was Clinton swearing, it would be proof positive of his poor moral character...

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Try telling that to people like Howard Stern and all of the other numerous DJs who have gotten huge fines and plenty of b!tching from the religious right over some 4 letter word they accidentally said on the air.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd be upset if the president didn't curse. there's some frustrating **** going on. this is a non issue for me. actually, it's an issue that so many others care so much about it... sooooooooo many other things to criticize the man for.

13. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

That's different. It's only ok if Cheney or Novak do it. And now Bush. Yeah, I don't know why either.

Oh, and they don't have to apologize or even admit to it, but if the wife of a Senator says "shove it", clearly she has emotional problems. Ok, bad example. :p But you know what I'm getting at.

It is a nonissue, it's the rest of what he was saying that was so scary. The fact that it was indicative of his character, or lack thereof, is secondary. The implications of his assessment of the situation bothers me far more than his use of the "s" word.