Bush is a liar? Plain. Simple. Concise. Read on...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sdashiki, May 9, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Well if you didnt hear it the other day.

link

So.

Bad = Sept. 11th

Good = catchin' a fish

Wow. Now if thats not some sort of political fiasco waiting to happen, I dont know what is. But using fishing and Sept. 11th like that seems, well, off.

Now if you read the link I made at the end to the offical White House transcript...they changed

"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5 pound perch in my lake."

to

"I would say the best moment was when I caught a seven-and-a-half pound large mouth bass on my lake."

which IMO cant be misquoted because one is a single word, the other is 3 words. LARGE MOUTH perch dont exist.

AND

the worlds largest perch caught is 4lbs 3oz.

TAKE THAT LIAR!

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

surely you can come up with a more interesting lie to call him on...

3. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

hey, if its the friggen

HIGH POINT

of his Presidency, being caught in a lie about is is

HUGE

news.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wow. If this is the type of stuff that gets you upset, you're in for a rough life. :eek:

5. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

lol, wow. guess Bush bashin is like out this week.

/burn

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I hate to burst your bubble, but perch and bass both translate to "Barsch" in German.

Ok. Move along. Nothing to see here.

7. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What about WMDs? either he lied his arse off or the Russians got rid of them for Saddam and he is still lieing to the people. Either way this guy is a spinster.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the liar stuff aside, i do think it's sad that that's the best bush can do. it seems to me he panicked, because a real leader would have come up with something 1) relevant to the nation, and 2) inspirational.

but i like the question, and this is the sort of stuff i wish he were asked more. because i think bush would blow it every single time, and more people could see what a numbskull he was.

i'd like the following to be asked of bush at unexpected times, and let's see how bad he is thinking on his feet:
    1. which three historical figures would you most like to have dinner with?
    2. what's your proudest moment as a father?
    3. which moment at university would you describe as your most profound?

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Note the (supposed) framing of the question.

By asking for "his high point," the interviewer caused W to produce a personal answer.

By asking for the "worst moment," the interviewer caused W to produce a less personal answer.

If he were asked for the "best moment" of his presidency, he certainly wouldn't have responded with the perch answer.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

here's the original question, xlated to english:
    link

12. taytho macrumors 6502

not the most hard hitting of his many lies.... but another great example

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think it's pretty disgusting that the best thing he can come up with is catching a fish. Either he has done nothing via his office that he is proud of, or he's a dolt who can't think on his feet to save his life. What, seeing Saddam pulled out of his rat-hole wasn't more exciting than catching a fish?

Link'd

I suppose he could have said "That time the NSA let me listen in on Jen and Brad's breakup calls".

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The idiocy of being unable to find a highlight of his presidency better than catching a fish is an entirely different matter from the claim of the OP that he lied about it, based on a loose translation of English -> German -> English (I don't imagine he gave the interview in German).

So let's just let this one drop, will we, and concentrate our bashing on his real failings?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't do enough of that for you?:confused:

Seriously, you don't see anything wrong with picking 'catching a fish' as the highlight of your presidential career?

Among other things, it highlights the fact that this president holds the record for Least Days Worked by a sitting president.

16. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

So the best and wurst days of his presidential career both amount to fish stories.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're not a politician, are you? ;)

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's their job.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So the best thing you can come up with, to criticize George W. Bush about, is questioning the translation accuracy of a German interview based on your clearly flawed understanding of translation? (Three words. Meh.)

That's like hating Adolf Hitler, but the best you can come up with is to criticize his mustache. :eek: ;) :D I think you can do better!

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Who said it's the best thing? It's just one of many...

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How about this gem?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/10/w...=2&ei=5087 &en=fcc96239c0a7cc01&ex=1147406400

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, now that one is significant. But that's my point. Who the $$$$ cares about whether it was a bass or a perch and whether it weighed four pounds or seven pounds? It's fishing, for the love of God. Lying is de rigeur... you're supposed to lie in fishing. And in the mean time there is no paucity of malevolence to report on, that it is necessary to resort discussing the accuracy of his fishing stories.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's not the accuracy of his fishing story that I care about (although that was the point of the OP). I'm more worried about the fact that catching a fish was the highlight of being president for him. That boggles the mind. It's indicative of either someone who is terrible at thinking on his feet, or someone who has just about zero interest in the job he does.

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

...or someone who can't understand questions.