Bush Likens War Against Terrorism to WWII

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yuc7zhd2, Jun 2, 2004.

1. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

"AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. (AP) - President Bush compared the fight against terrorists to the struggle against tyranny that forced World War II, telling new Air Force officers Wednesday that the United States and its allies can win the battle by bringing freedom and reform to the Middle East."

We must be the Germans this round.

Link here

2. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Oh, oh. This is heading for the Political section (and instant death).

But before the moderator throws this thread into no man's land, let me say that comparing Bush's escapades with WWII is insulting in the extreme to the over 290,000 Americans who died to defeat fascism.

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I did like how he said Japan's "sneak" pre-emptive attack on Pearl Harbor was so bad, yet his Pre-emptive attack on Iraq was okay.

Oh, I really like how me mentioned Iraq as a regime that used WMDs, non specifically.. well my question to Bushy is, what other nation has used WMDs? :)

4. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I hope our troops come home from Vietnam, ahem, I mean Iraq soon.

Bush is such a ****ing tool.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Your being a real jack a$$ by saying that. Even though you don't like his decisions, show your commander and cheif (and country) a litte more respect.

Every American has the right to dissagree with anything, but when you insult or swear at someone because of something they they think or do, thats worng, mean and just plain stupid.

If you don't like the way this country is bing ran, and hate this county get the **** out! Move to some third world country like Nigeria or Somolia.

6. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

so 'Jack a$$' is not an insult ?

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Why go all the way across the world to fight totalitarians when we have one here. Im glad you aren't president, you'd probably deport anyone who opposed you, expanded the Patriot Act to make the all Bill of Rights invalid. :)

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on what the guy making the insult thinks about Jack's Ass.

If he really likes Jack, it may not be an insult, but a Freudian Slip.

[​IMG]

9. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I knew the second that I pushed the 'Submit Reply' button, I was going down in flames. :rolleyes:

I probbably would deport anyone who wasn't patriotic. If I was president (gasp) I would take all the soldiers out of Iraq, line them up sholder to sholder around the U.S. border, with orders to stop anything that comes within a certain distance. I would deport all the illegals....

I swear, you don't know how many kids (and adults) that don't say the pledge in the mornig, and how they bash the president over and over; that wouldn't bother me near as much if they were patriotic about thier country.

I'm going to shut up before I dig myself into a deeper hole. ;)

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I said he was *being* a Jack a$$, the other guy *called* the presiden't a d!ck; there's big difference.

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Simply saying a few lines of a pledge with your right hand over your heart doesn't automatically make you a patriot.
    People show their patriotism in different ways... for some reason, there are those that believe that you must obey and follow the president blindly. :)

12. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I agree that there are many, many differe ways to show patriotism, but *at least* show respect when saying the pledge; kids in my class don't even stand up during the pledge. :mad:

For the record, ther are ALOT of things I don't agree with the president on, but you don't see me calling him a dick. Likewise, there were many things I agreed on with Clinton. Just because I'm a Republican doesn't automatically mean I follow ALL head Republicans (aka: Bush) blindly. On average I agree with 70% of the Republicans desicions and 30% of the Democrats.

You people need to stop watch CNN so much...

13. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

politcal parties aren't working very good right now.. i'd like to see a strong 3rd or even fourth option... someday maybe... someday...

14. James L macrumors 6502a

Not being American, I must ask... "what is wrong with calling your president a d*ck?"

Is America not the land of the free? I thought that freedom of speech meant you could live in a country and speak your mind (assuming it isn't hate crimes, threats, etc) without fear of repercussion?

From my point of view your pres does come off as an idiot. He may very well not be, but he certainly does. I also feel your brave men and women of your armed forces (barring the cowards that tortured the prisoners, but EVERY countries armed forces has done something like that I am sure) are stuck in a war that they shouldn't be in. I hope they all come home soon, and safe. I don't believe the war in Iraq has nearly as much to do with the war on terrorism as your government leads us to believe. Catch Osama and I will be impressed. Kill him and I will be even more impressed!

Please understand I am not "anti-american" in any way. I enjoy coming to your country (I will be back this fall actually). I respect your nation. The one thing I respect the most, however, is that your country is supposed to be one where you are free speak your mind. Bush was elected by a very narrow margin IIRC, which to me means many Americans did not vote for him. The beauty of a free nation is that those people should be allowed to say whatever they want about him without fear of reprisal. Isn't THAT what we all faught WW2 over?

Again, I hope your men and women come home soon.

Cheers,

James

15. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Bush is being such a ****ing tool

16. magicfreek macrumors newbie

Damn right no pledge

Damn right I don't say the pledge. First the allusion to under god, thats just scary, there is a clear separation of church and state, except with Bush. Just look at his usage of good/evil in reference to Iraq, the man truly believes in the religious sense that he is doing "gods work". That should ring warning bells, raise flags, etc...to everyone, even the religious. Even if they directly agree with Bush, who's to say his religous crusade won't come after some other group next, after the Iraqi's. Frankly I don't like Kerry much either, but with a choice between the two I know who my pick is.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. -Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US President (1858-1919)

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against its government. -Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (1927-1989)

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair. --H.L. Mencken

18. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Go, Run and Hide!

The threads been moved.. Big Brother's onto us...

We've been found out... everyone run!

:cool:

19. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Poll: Many Americans Still Unsure Whom To Vote Against
    the Onion :D

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thankyou Zim, you saved me a little effort here...there is a BIG difference between patriotism and nationalism imo....as far as Bushs' latest PR...I know he doesn't read much (epecially history, it would seem), but what are his speechwriters' excuses?

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That went out about 6 months ago. We have since learned that Bus is indeed a moron and liar and a bunch of other things. He deserves *NO* respect whatsoever. Respect is earned.

I don't leave when I don't like it. I change it, thank you very much!

22. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Hey Zim! You stole my quote!

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my apologies, mr. president

;-)

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Quick reminder folks - the profanity filter is there for a reason. Trying to get around will get you in trouble.

Certain words, however, are not censored and by trying to fool the censor on those words you make yourself look silly. So, say what you want and let the board take care of the clean up.

For instance, ass and dick aren't censored, so don't bother with a$$ and d!ck - but don't abuse 'em either.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Heh-heh-heh. Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian (obscure reference, somebody will get it).

One time on the Yahoo boards I was censored for using the very nasty adjective "cockamamie." I'm so glad we can use that term around here -- which, while we're at it, accurately describes the president's analogy.