bush live!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 7, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    just saw bush speaking live at the g8 conference, sans podium, next to tony blair. ITV news was carrying it (i'm in london at the moment).

bush was speaking of climate change. finally, he admits there's a problem and that "all nations must move forward together" (as if it was his idea).

having no script, he stumbled a lot, shifted weight (moving from one side of the screen to another), and made a couple none-too-smooth segues.

the one that really killed me was how he went so quickly from climate change to national security to israel and the palestinians. it took just a few seconds. just then, they cut to a wider shot which included blair, a few feet away. blair's expression was priceless, in the "wtf?" style. but tony recovered quickly and smiled again.

i don't expect the europeans like being talked to as if they were two year-olds. for whatever reason, it works in the states.
  2. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Try to keep in mind that " roughly " 49% of Americans see through Bush like a piece of Saran wrap.

Any time he is caught off guard and has to depart from his
    heavily scripted retoric, he falters and you can easily see in his body language and stumbling words that he's lying through his teeth.
  3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Whether Bush is telling the truth or not is in some ways of less interest to me than the difficulty he's got speaking in complete sentences and expressing complete thoughts. This aspect of his persona has disturbed me from the very first time I heard him speak in an unscripted environment, and in many ways transcends my disagreements with him over political issues. He's never seemed up to the job. His response to today's bombings in London was classic Bush. As he groped for the words to express himself, you just knew that it would only be a matter of time before the word "folks" was deployed, just like it was so inappropriately on 9-11.
  4. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    His confidence is probably still a bit shaken by what happened when they took off his stabilizer wheels yesterday...
  5. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Hmm... Chevy Chase is probably a bit too tall to pull off some Dubya sketches. Too bad.

And yes, I like to feel like my president is smarter than I am. Gives some dignity to the office.
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    And yet, the U.S. won't "sign" the Kyoto agreement? :rolleyes: Business as usual.
  7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Why do you think that is???
  8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    Oh, get real, bush and cheney are oilmen. They can only think in terms of oil and any deviance from that path is simply beyond them. The technology exists to wean this country away from oil, yet they refuse to do so. Not only would it wean us but also create jobs in the US for Americans. Something they are obviously not interested in. Technology is the future, not fossil fuels, oh well, the American century was good while it lasted.

The other day while reading about Putin's new world, I couldn't help but think that the US like Russia, is going to go down because the government was unable to look ahead. Oil is old news. I hope the US doesn't go the same way.
  9. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    It's my bet that our non-participation has more to do with this....

Here's an excerpt
    Just a theory, but I'd bet that our MBA president would think about this sort of thing, even though signing the treaty would have ensured his oil cronies a long term monopoly. Instead, he opted for competition. (this assumes, of course, that making money from oil doesn't automatically make one an evil person)
  10. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    The reason may be our public school system. It's basically day-time storage for kids, whereas European schools actually teach. That's why some US colleges give European students some freshman credit for their high school work. That and all the sister-kissing in those square states... ;)

LOL! I think that number is rising.