Bush Loyalists Pack Iraq Press Office

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Apr 4, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Galen is a GOP operative. He doesn't just wear the t-shirt, he is nakedly and utterly partisan, thoroughly and to the marrow of his bone. To suggest that his assignment in Iraq is anything but to act as a news fixer and propagandist is an insult.

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    galen can spin it anyway he wants...after a week of heavy casualties and the death toll passing 600, he's going to have a real hard time making things look rosey.

when the june deadline passes and we still haven't turned over iraq control to the locals...he's gonna have to take the bull by the tail and face the situation...

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah but you forget that the more casulties we take, the better things are going for us. :rolleyes:

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You see how easy? Bremer is hardly an expert at spin, but remember when he said that we should expect more violence when the time got closer to the hand-over, and how that was actually a good sign? Also remember how hardly anyone gasped, and nobody in the press bothered to question his logic? A propaganda pro like Galen is going to have a wonderful time sugar-coating the chaos. Just wait for the press releases -- pretty soon even you won't be sure if every death isn't a step in the right direction.

6. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I certainly hope this is spin from this organization . . . if not, the US Army had better run this guy out on a rail. . .

http://www.cair-net.org/asp/article.asp?id=1058&page=NR
    U.S. Muslims seek Pentagon probe on Iraq photo
    The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) today called for a Pentagon investigation of a photograph circulating on the Internet that apparently shows an American soldier mocking an Iraqi child.

The photo sent to CAIR seems to be of an American soldier standing next to two Iraqi children who are giving the thumbs-up sign. One child holds a hand-lettered sign in English that reads: "Lcpl Boudreaux killed my Dad, th(en) he knocked up my sister!" ("Knocked up" is American slang for making someone pregnant out of wedlock.) . . . ​

I hope this is propaganda, or a very dumb joke by a very naive GI.

Attached Files:

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

that photo ( if real) is repugnant.

reprehensible beyond description.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Any guesses as to whether that photo is real?

In the grand scheme of things, it's repugnant but minor. Unfortunately, there are a lot of (individual) idiots out there. But this wouldn't be the first incident of soldiers doing disgusting things during war. In fact, if it's just a joke, it's pretty benign.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I disagree. If real, it's tasteless.

If true, it's repugnant.

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

ummm, repugnant means distasteful.

either way, this picture is disturbing on so many levels.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Eh, you're right, but "repugnant" is used to describe extreme bad taste.

I contend that it's just a bad joke. Some may find it funny, particularly those involved in combat in need of some gallows humour.

If what the sign says is true, then it's beyond sickening.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i doubt it is. this strikes me as a soldier's idea of a joke -- hold up a sign the kids can't read ("ha ha -- they're so stupid they don't even speak english") and send it to your friends.

not becoming of a professional soldier, imo.

i _would_ like to know what the arabic on it says (ha ha -- i'm so stupid i don't even speak arabic). is the picture being used as a terrorist recruitment tool? oh, the irony!

13. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I have no doubt that the content of the sign is a joke.

My real question would be is the whole thing a fake?

But in the grand scheme of things this picture is a minor incident in a very ugly war -- a war that is getting uglier every day.

Today's online newspapers (Washington Post, NY Times) report seven more dead Americans. But their stories are beginning to get a tinge of exhaustion in them. In other words, the fact that seven more are dead is beginning to seem old hat. There is a creeping acceptance that Americans will die every day -- that it is not a big deal. (We long passed this point when it comes to Iraqi dead. Does anyone even keep a decent count? If you know a web site that keeps tabs on this please pass along a link.)

EDIT: I found www.iraqbodycount.org -- but I don't know how accurate their numbers are.