Bush makes fun of blind man...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Jun 17, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

President Bush’s “Oh, Sh**” Moment of the Day

Earlier today, we described an exchange at this morning’s press conference between President Bush and Peter Wallsten of the Los Angeles Times. President Bush joked about Wallsten’s wearing sunglasses while asking his question.

We called it the best exchange of the conference; but it was even better than we thought. A tipster points out:

For what it matters, during the Bush Rose Garden presser this a.m., Wallsten was wearing shades because he is legally blind — a fact that Bush apparently didn’t know, or forgot, about one of the reporters covering him for one of America’s major newspapers.

Way to go, Mr. President.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually it's not so much that Bush didn't realize that Wallsten is legally blind, or that wearing sunglasses slows the progress of his degenerative condition -- it's that sneering way he "teases" the press. He really does despise them, with the exception of the ones who've proven their loyalty -- like the ones from POXnews.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

In a way this could be used as a analogy of the American people & President, I feel like the country is blind to what Bush & Republicans really represent these days and with every new law or interpetation or twisting of current law we are being used and laughed at. We are the ones Blind.

4. calculus Guest

calculus

I am loving the idea of someone being 'legally blind'. Are there people out there who are 'illegally blind'?

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Um. It means that you might still be able to see some things, but your eyesight is bad enough to qualify as blind. My cousin was legally blind by the first grade; but wearing hard contacts has minimized the loss of eyesight and she is able to see fine w/ corrective eyewear; she's just blind w/out. :p

6. calculus Guest

calculus

Yes sorry, I was just having fun with the language - no disrespect meant

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Apparently, the reporter didn't feel insulted, so that's fine. I suppose this is just one of those incidents that feeds into the unflattering image many of us already have of George W. Bush. He's smug, he smirks, he's condescending, and he says things without thinking. So what else is new?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i didn't know he could think.

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I joke to Rob this morning that Bush has probably been told a million times "If you feel like saying something funny, just don't...and stop smirking when you talk to people.."

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Such qualities. What to buy the man who has everything?

A braided leather whip, a sniper rifle, six jars of fertiliser and a copy of the Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook were among the presents foreign leaders have given George Bush. They are clearly trying to tell him something.

Inventory of official gifts from 2004, published this week by the State Department as reported by The Guardian.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Seems he was advised somewhere along to line to avoid the smirk, because it appeared noticeably less frequently for a while. Then after the election, the smug Bush persona returned in full force. These days, he always seems very satisfied with himself indeed. Pardon the analogy, but I find his Mr. Wonderful act to be about as appealing as wiping your backside with sandpaper. We're seeing the real Bush, though, I think. These affectations may be massively annoying, but they aren't phony.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm really sick of his playing Master of the Obvious. he'll often say things which everybody knows but are presented in a way in which he thinks we don't know.

e.g. "The thing we want... is peace!"

he'll raise his arms some, smirk, and do that half laughter / half mouth breathing thing.

after watching An Inconvenient Truth yesterday, it just hammered home the point of how much i want an intelligent president who can actually speak the language with some amount of eloquence and content.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I find his constant use of the device "in other words" to be maddening. It seems to pop up densely whenever he's discussing an issue of which he has no real grasp. Perhaps he's been given an advisor's "layman's talking points" bulletin and is falling back on them when he himself needs help understanding "his" positions.

Here's some examples. It's a seven page interview.

14. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Very true.

What cracks me up is this whole "War on Terrorism" thing. Last I heard, the Bush Administration had just cut funding to security in New York City and Washington D.C.. And it's the Democrats who have been the ones pushing for tighter port security, meanwhile the Bush Administration wants to give up major ports to the highest bidder.

What a joke.:rolleyes:

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What do you expect from a spoiled rich kid who's always been surrounded by people who tell him how great he is not matter what? He had the whole "everyman/cowboy" thing for awhile, but has long since been seen for who he really is. Er, by most of us, that is... still that ~30% who falls for it.

Like the thing with Cheney shooting that guy, not really that bad in and of itself, but if you think about it, really says something about what kind of person GW is deep down inside.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, what would YOU buy a wookie for christmas, if he already owned a comb?