Bush nominates Alito to Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sounds like possible trouble, but then that's what we expected, right?

Link

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I fear a filibuster will fail and he will be nominated. A few scenarios:

1. Democratic leaders will threaten a filibuster and be threatened with the nuclear option. They will compromise, leading to confirmation.

2. Democrats will filibuster and be subsequently nuked.

3. Democrats wil succeed with a filibuster and Bush will nominate Scooter Libby instead.

Prepare to see America totally undone. A severe tilt toward fascism is about to occur.

Goodbye, America.

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

Alito-Roberts-Scalia-Thomas. That's a hell of a supreme court. Next time I see a 2000 Nader voter I'll be sure to thank him - with the back of my hand.

FYI CNN notes that Alito's rulings have chipped away at both freedom of abortion and freedom of religion, and that he tends to vote like Scalia so much that people call him Scalito.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't follow politics (at all really except for Jon Stewart which... isn't really politics ;)) but I'm just curious if there is somebody that everybody would agree on? It seems like somebody is going to not like the appointed. I don't think Miers was very qualified myself but... just curious if there is an "obvious candidate" out there.

5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Remember how I predicted this next one was going to be like Hitler Youth?

It's filibuster time.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bush is completely shameless! So much for being a uniter, not a divider! Get ready to become a theocracy people.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There's really no one that will satisfy everyone, however even Roberts managed to impress those opposed to him.

What would be nice is a candidate who could get at least 75 votes, perhaps as many as 90. That's not everyone, but it's more than the bare minimum.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from thinkprogress:
    there are some embedded links in there, i'm too lazy to recreate them.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sounds like the Right's kind of guy!

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

With this nomination, Bush has abandoned all pretense of running the country from the center of the ideological spectrum. He's openly appealing only to the true believers now, the one-third of the country who'd vote for a conservative Republican if he was a cyclops with tentacles and a prison record.

The Alito nomination will play against the backdrop of the 2006 election, so I don't think it's necessarily a done deal. One way or another, it's going to be a very nasty fight -- which is something else we didn't need right now. Privately, even some Republicans are saying the same thing. Another bad Bush move.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, since Bush is fairly weak right now (indictments + Iraq) the democrats smell blood in the water. They're going to go toe to toe on Alito.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's funny, i would think you should be smacking the bush voters... :rolleyes:

but anyways, i'm in bethesda now too, so you don't have to go too far to smack one of us.

13. tristan macrumors 6502a

I was thinking more my uncle, but I will take any Nader supporter I can get my grubby hands on, give them a hard shake, and say "My God man, what have you done!" The implied message behind a Nader vote is that since Bush and Gore were both pretty bad you might as well vote your conscience. But how does Gore look now after five years of Bush? The supreme court would look a lot better, that's for sure. Gore's wife complaining about obscene lyrics seems almost quaint now.

14. tristan macrumors 6502a

And stay off my lawn. I live upstairs from the Safeway, so my lawn is the courtyard with the fountain next to the pancake house. :) No seriously, welcome to Bethesda, you'll love it.

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I sincerely hope so, but my faith in the Democrats' ability to stand up for what's right has been severely shaken in the last half-decade.

What's more, I like how this "strict interpreter, no-legislating-from-the-bench" judge ignored precedent and settled law when it didn't suit his needs, as mentioned above. So a not just a uber-con, but a hyporcritical one as well. (Seems to be a trend...)

16. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I agree with your point about Democrats. They will make statements about drawing a line in the sand, growl, snort and blow smoke ... after all the histrionics have run their course, Alito will likely be confirmed and will feel comfortable being part of the majority. Then the gradual reshaping of American legal precedent will then begin in earnest. Sad but true.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All of you in the states sing along with me:

"Oh Canada, our home and native land....."

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for the record:

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

gore looks much better, but only because he's gotten a backbone again and started giving rousing speeches. do i realistically think we'd be in the same situation today if he were president? no. but i'm not going to continue voting for the least worst. eventually (i ****ing hope), the dems will realize their shift to the right is hurting them, and they'll grow a spine again. i also think bush's awfulness has invigorated many people (especially the youth), which may be a good thing in the long run

ahhhh, i had breakfast at the OPH on saturday, spent a bunch of time walking around that little area whilst waiting. nice area for sure

21. tristan macrumors 6502a

Look at the price that's being paid though - two supreme court nominees, and we still have 39 Bush months to go. If Bush gets another supreme court appointment or god forbid two, it's all over. That's a heck of a price for the country to pay because a few percent of people didn't think Al Gore was too far right. These justices are all young and could be on the court 40 years. Maybe the Nader voters could have stayed with the Dems and just made their voice heard in the primary. Bush/Cheney would have been a footnote in history.

In a two party system, you have to vote for the least objectionable. If Alien is running against Predator, you vote for Predator. I think we're paying a hell of a price now and in the future because some people in 2000 left us high and dry.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Rather than blame everything on Nader voters, why not blame Pat Buchanan for running such an innefective campaign? Or Libertarians for not getting their crap together and generating more votes? Or for that matter Gore for not being more appealing (to the left and right).

Focusing on Nader voters is a little blind to the whole complex equation.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the way things are, we are still going to see him leave the white house in january of 2009 (i can't wait) and then maybe the born again christians can look up to the real god instead of the false god they have been worshipping in the white house for over five years

it's one thing to worship a god who lived 2000 years ago without sin and died for mankind, but quite another to worship one of the worst presidents in modern american history

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

seriously. it's pathetic to blame the other guy, just because your candidates suck. but that's the democrats' tactics. they couldn't even beat gw bush. twice. i mean, come on... have you seen this guy?

yeah, let's not talk about the fact that the dems failed to capitalize on thousands/millions of african american non voters. let's not talk about their ineffective campaigns and mixed messages. let's just blame the other guy. sounds like a bush move actually

oh, and sorry, but i don't plan on settling for a two-party system. glad to see you are happy with it though.

alito is scary. and as a friend said... "he just looks like... a normal guy". which is what is so frightening. what was it about the greatest trick the devil pulled...?

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually, maybe bush should get one of the convicted criminals from the nixon or reagan administrations (watergate, iran contra) to nominate for supreme court in the event that alito does not make it

bush has really fashioned himself into a baby nixon, full of scandals and loyalty to bad staff while firing good staff

bush really has his "family" in order to do business