Bush Offers Details of 2002 Plot in Defense of Terror Strategy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 9, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i had to read that several times to see if bush was being quoted. it seems not. i'm curious as to whether the NYT standards board has approved use of the term "america-haters". (emphasis mine)

now, regarding the article title, i was reading to see how bush would defend his more questionable policies. he didn't:

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Hmm. Now I have a question. First off once you breach that door how are you going to force the pilot to do what you want? Harsh language? There isn’t anything in there about a secondary weapon.
    Secondly it would have never happened anyways because everyone on that plane would have known the outcome of what happens with these "new" highjackers. We aren’t talking highjackers of the 80’s where they fly a plane to a faroff country and demand X or they will start killing people. If it’s between sitting calmly in a seat living a few more minutes and crashing into a building vs. trying to take these bastards out guess what I and prob 90% of the people on a plane would choose? Once we’re were done with these bastards there would be nothing but a fine red mist scattered around the inside of plane.

Bush can take his BS propaganda and cram it. What happened in 2001 can't happen again, at least on public commercial airliners, because every person that flies now knows the outcome of a highjacking. At best a terrorist can only achieve destroying that plane which while an unimaginable loss of life can't compare to what happened in 2001.

The sad thing is there are going to be gullible morons that buy this **** hook line, sinker, reel, and arm.
    :mad:

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

I read this article on CNN and thought it was very interesting. All these plots sound like something out of a spy novel, but I'm sure at least some of them are real. I have to give our intelligence folks some credit for uncovering them.

Now on to the politics: I know why Bush is releasing the info of course - to defend the illegal wiretaps. Still, the existence of thwarted plots doesn't justify illegal wiretaps - they could have uncovered these same plots using legal methods of conducting investigations. And it also doesn't address the other side - people whose privacy was invaded unnecessarily. So the information Bush released about plots doesn't prove anything ultimately, except what we all knew, which is that Al Queda wants us all dead. And that in itself isn't a justification for illegal wiretaps.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Add to the reports that officials in LA were never told of the "success" in preventing a disaster that Bush mentions.

Just more spin by those that want less liberties here in the US, and they occupy not foreign soil, but the powers of our own government.

Fear is a powerful motivator. Terrorists know that. So do our own government officials. So who stands the most to gain? Give you a guess, and it is not those that live outside our borders.... but those that we "elected" to represent us....

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

link

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

meanwhile, fox news is all class:

[​IMG]

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Terrorist were plotting to hijack a giant alien spaceship? We're doomed!!!!

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Typical. I wonder if there really was a real threat. Probably just rumblings about it being a possibility. It's sad that it's come to this. He's screwed up so much he has to talk about stuff like this to try and defend his mistakes. Of course, as said above, doesn't excuse the spying. He could have still gotten warrants and the FBI wouldn't have wasted so much of their precious time. I'll bet the only people that fall for this are the ~40% who already support the Pres. Even if this should be proof that we should have gotten Bin Laden by now instead of making a mess out of Iraq.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It distresses me that we have become so polarized. You are either Republican or Democrat. Conservative or liberal. Straight or gay. Rich or poor.

Our elected officials are so in lock step with their parties, there is little hope of honest discourse on the issues that we face as a nation.

I am surprised that we have not seen the "liberal" media compare Bush to LBJ on the war in Iraq.

That said, I am surprised that little is mentioned by those in power, so therefore we trust, that it took eight years for Bin Laden to launch the attack on the WTC in 2001, after the bombing in 1993.

Terrorists are not military people by nature. They do not try to attack in rapid secession. They wait till the guard is down. But they also live on fear and the stripping of the way of life that their targets enjoy.

I think there is a delicate balance in protecting us from terrorists, and protecting the freedoms that made this nation great. But because of the polarization, any balance seems to be out the window.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/02/10.html#a7103

:rolleyes: Who falls for this stuff anymore? You know what, nevermind, I don't want to know.

And again, debunked:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/02/09.html#a7096

More:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/02/09.html#a7088

(just in case anyone is still wondering if this is true or not)

This just keeps getting better:

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/blog/2006/02/intel_pros_say_bush_is_lying_a.html

http://www.libertyforum.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news_crime&Number=294417678#Post294417678

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's also been reported that Villariagosa has been unable to get a chance to sit down with federal officials regarding the threats facing LA -- despite Republican governors being able to.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That may just be poor planning. Remember Katrina, they didn't really talk to the Dems in charge there either. Probably not the best time to play partisan politics. I hope he doesn't let this go, because for once, I don't see this being played much in the media. It would be nice if the only publicity this gets is the proof that it's, shall we say, stretching the truth.

Pretty pathetic on Bush's part, and I'm glad people don't seem to be falling for it.