Bush Plans to Tap Rice for State, Hadley for NSC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Nov 15, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=1&u=/nm/20041115/pl_nm/bush_rice_dc

Not an especially inspired choice, IMO. Clearly Mr. Bush prizes loyalty over ability.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ouch. Is Rice known for her schmoozing ability?

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Rice is certainly enough of a feckless neocon for the job. :rolleyes:

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

She's always impressed me as being an academic who was never completely comfortable in a political position -- a fish out of water, even in the relatively inside position of National Security Advisor. To be Secretary of State is to have the hot glare of lights on you everywhere you go and I don't see where she's been at all skillful at handling the public relations part of her job so far. I don't know but she wouldn't crack under more intense pressure. A weak choice for our nation's top diplomat, it seems.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hmm. Hadley was the guy who fell on his sword for Bush making that false comment about Iraq receiving uranium shipments from Niger in his State of the Union address.

Guess now that Powell's gone, Hadley will assume the unofficial position of Senior Scapegoat.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

think she'll really be a diplomat? message bearer seems more appropriate...

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

These aren't mutually exclusive missions by any means. A diplomat doesn't represent their own opinions. But if you listen to Powell, you can hear him speaking in the measured language of the diplomat. He didn't get much opportunity to exercise those skills in his marginalized position within the administration, but at least he's got them. Rice doesn't, as nearly as I can tell, and consequently I can't see her being a very effective Secretary of State.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well at least the State Department will not be at odds with Bush's vision this term. Should cut down on the dissent within the ranks.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Unfortunately, it will also cut down on the ability to make reasonable, informed decisions (you know the process: get many competing perspectives/viewpoints on an issue, consider and then decide.)

It is bad enough to have an ideologically-homogenous Administration, but couple with impulsiveness...well, sh**.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, they've got enough rope. With any luck, they'll hang themselves.

11. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And claim they were attacked by the rope.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well it certainly is a shift to the right in terms of who's in and who's out. All this talk of Guilani and McCain and other moderates being given a chance now that Bush has nothing to prove to his base has all been wrong. Nothing Bush has done has been in any effort to reach out to the other (nearly) half of America that didn't vote for him. I expect to see more conservative entrenchment over the next 4 years. And the squashing of scandal after scandal.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, if anything we will see this administration leaning furher i mean farther to the right. Bush's philosophy of working with others with different viewpoints is almost mute.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

16. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

All these appointments and promotions have one thing in common...solidifying power with people who are very close to bush and owe all their power and position to him and nobody else.
    Let's go down the list:
    Attorney General: Gonzalez. The guy who wrote the torture memos, hid the DUI conviction for all those years, this guy is very close to bush, but what is his real qualification?
    State: Rice. Filibustered the 9/11 commision and then lied to them, no real power or constituency other than gwb.
    NSC: Hadley. Already fell on his sword for gwb over the Niger uranium lies, so his loyalty is proven.
    CIA: Goss. Partisan republican tapped by gwb. Currently in the middle of a purge of "liberals" and "democrats" within the CIA so that only political appointees and bush sycophants are left, so that pretty much shows who he's working for.

So bush controls the Senate, House, Justice, State, and Intelligence dept now. Tightened control over all branches of government to make them compliant to his will. The scary question here is... To what end?