Bush pushes for Tax-cuts before Election...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jul 20, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    From Wash. Post:
    I am surprised no-one has posted about this, I think it has the potential to be a big issue coming into the Election...

If the Tax Plan is pushed through before November, both Bush and the Republicans will have something to crow about, and a bulwark against the Democrats who feel that Bush has not accomplished much on Domestic issues.

Although this does not erase the reality of Bush's accomplishments during the past years (or non-accomplishments), I feel that with the short attention span of the voters, it will not matter, nor will it matter if the Federal Deficit will increase as a result of the tax cuts...

This puts the Democrats in a real bind, as the nature of the tax-cuts are geared towards the middle-class, and are liked by both parties. Democrats (and some Republicans) are concerned about the ability for the US to afford the tax-cuts, and if they were to hold up the passage of the bill, this could be powerful rhetorical ammunition against the Democrats come Election time...

On the other hand, if a more modest tax proposal gains passage (more likely), the Adminstration will still be able to take credit for it's passage coming up to the Election...

It is hard to argue that these are not good tax-cuts, so I do not oppose them, but the timing seems so very Politically motivated that it really bugs me, as does the Administrations larger proposal which once again completely ignores any concept of Fiscal responsibility...and the Republicans were supposed to be for that...

2. davecuse macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2004
    Interesting I hadn't read about this previously. The whole idea of these tax cuts is clearly politically oriented, that is one of the things I strongly dislike about the current administration. Everytime I hear some news like this about Bush I get the feeling that his entire administration takes me and every other American for a moron. I know I'm not, but unless I see a staggering defeat in Nov I might not have as much confidence in the rest of the country.

I feel like I'm being bribed into 4 more years of war and a more robust patriot act. My ideals of what this country stands for are worth a far greater amount than the few dollars this tax cut might offer. I have no interest in going to Iran only to find out 2 years later that there were zero ties to September 11th like we're beginning to hear.
  3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    You'd be surprised how many people *are* morons. They are all excited about their $300 not realizing that they would have a lot more if he hadn't destroyed the economy with all his "tax cuts." Sure, I can pay almost nothing in taxes but the reality is I'm making almost nothing, too.