Bush Says Social Security Overhaul Is Stalled

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 5, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

a rare kind of admission from the WH.

the article continues with other items, including bush calling for spending cuts to pay for NOLA, et. al.:

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wonder if the fact the American people dont trust him could have anything to do with it? Iraq.......Katrina...........Oil................Enviroment................Border..............etc

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

Well, Bush admitted that his private accounts wouldn't actually make social security more solvent and would have to be paired with either tax increases or benefit cuts, so it didn't seem like he really had much of a plan to me.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So Bush's remaining agenda is to limp through economic reconstruction and the war, and to make appointments to shift the court as far right as possible.

Great.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course there's no support for it. It doesn't help fix the underlying problem, and could wind up being very bad for a lot of people. Plus, mention privatising social security and watch your numbers suddenly fall. Who votes most? Young people who might be open to it because they don't know any better? No. Old people. Even if it won't affect them, they don't like it. So no, he doesn't have enough support, because other politicians want to keep their jobs come next elections.

Duh. :rolleyes:

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How can something be stalled if it was never moving in the first place?

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's so odd finally seeing this administration humbled for a change.

OTOH, with the Plame thing coming to a head, not to mention the other scandals, I'm hoping this is only the beginning of the s***storm for Bush.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think what it is is that we have a bunch of republicans coming up for elections and they need to now distance themself from George and all his boondogling and goofs. Nothing more then that. Same old lame duck stuff.

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Can we consider this the first shot fired?

Attached Files:

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

We need a Mastiff on the job. Or can we scoop some whale **** up?