Bush Seeks Limit to Suits Over Voting Rights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 29, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/2004/la-na-votesue29oct29,1,3672493.story

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Jesus Christ...

The right-wing media are misleading the public with outright lies...international inspectors won't be allowed to monitor the voting...and now no one but the government can challenge the results. Bush really is wrapping it all up, isn't he?

I hate to say this, but the resemblance between this country and the earliest days of the Third Reich are becoming more and more striking.

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    a slight correction in the bush message.

fascism, not freedom, is on the march!

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Democracy is 2 wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.

They are only getting away with it because people are letting them. I'm sure Hitler said he was only giving the people what they wanted. They didn't even realize they wanted it until it was forced upon them. Of course, by then it was too late. For once, I am thankful that we are in the land of many lawyers.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as long as no books are burnt and it's still missing those marching at night with torches it looks good for the US... and leading a "police action" against poland because of their support for terrorists and threatening your own country is still missing too !

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think the congruence is remarkable. Nothing missing as far as I can see. Except military success, of course...

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We're not burning books, but the mainstream media are pretty cowed under the control of big corporations, and a large percentage of the people believe the false information they hear on Sinclair, Salem, and similar networks and through radical right wing publications. Control dissent and independent thought. Different means, same end.

And heck, we've already invaded a foreign country under a false pretext, and we've got our eyes on others.

What Bush is really doing is laying down the foundation for a Fourth Reich. And no, I don't think that's too far-fetched a thing to say. Dictatorships begin by (among other things) manipulating elections, controlling the media, stifling dissent, keeping the people in a constant state of fear, spying on your own citizens, and taking a "if you're not with us, you're against us" stance. Bush has fulfilled all these conditions.

I just hope in two days it won't matter. (Though even if Kerry wins, the radical neo-cons will still be plotting to undermine him.)

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unfortunately, of course, if Kerry wins, I suspect he's going to have to be be even more militaristic than Bush just to show his mettle.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would have to disagree ..the US led invasion was pretty successfull ... the problems seemed to rise after 'victory' (which didn't me surprise at all)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whether it was "successful" or not depends on whether you believe Junior's Mission Accomplished claim marked the end of the war. I'd say that is a moot point.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually i was dead serious about the first two ...i added the 3rd one as a hint ;)
    just like heinrich heine said:"where books are burning, people will be burning too in the end"

or another nice quote from erich kästner 1928:
    "do you know the country where guns are flowering? You don't know it ? You will get to know it .." speaking about germany

it's a long road to dictatorship/etc. but you can be sure it's a wide autobahn... and the US barley started the engine ...

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I dunno what every has their panty's in a wad for. I think it's completely legit position taken by the current Administration. Obviously the only people that should be allowed to vote are those that are likely to vote for Bush. :rolleyes:

Lethal

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Right you are. The shame of it is that those of us here, on both sides, are the minority. We really care about the government. Too many others end up just sitting on the sidelines.

15. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Justice Department Joins Election Legal Fight in Ohio

And the beat goes on...

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/2004/la-na-ohio1nov01,1,2827306.story

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So in 2000 the argument was 'well you needed to file those lawsuits BEFORE the election for them to count NOW' and now it's 'no you can't file any lawsuits before the election' either?

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hey, whatever works. I believe Americans as a whole fail to appreciate how thoroughly their government has been hijacked by right wing radicals. They have goals, not principles.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit