Bush seeks political gains from foiled plot

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 10, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

feel safer yet?

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Of course I feel safer. The whole threat was handled well without even raising the overall terror level from Yellow. (I know it was raised for flights, especially flights to/from Britain.)

It will be interesting to see if the overall terror alert level goes up closer to November and what reasons they give for it.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm starting to wonder if the whole ****ing thing wasn't just made up.

Or maybe it's another one of those exaggerationsssss, like that unspecified subway nonsense (was it subways? I forget because it was nonsense) based on decade-old intel that had us all spooked a while back.

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Of course Bush would seek political gain from a today's news. So what? Who wouldn't? He's a politician. What's your point?

There's substantive criticism, possibly condemnation, to be made about George W. But posting an article like this as though it damns him is pointless.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

he's supposed to be a president, statesman and leader ahead of being a politician. i have to wonder, if governing is taking a backseat to politicking, how far the administration and GOP are willing to go to maintain power.

would they let an attack happen? in the ME, would they work behind the scenes to hamper the peace process in an attempt to draw syria and iran into the conflict? it would fit the neocon master plan.

is the administration secretly hoping that her majesty's service weren't so competent?

what exactly are their priorities?

6. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

:rolleyes:

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I certainly hope they're more competent than in their last few escapades.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Maybe it has to do with the fact that he pretty much made the news.

This wouldn't be one tenth the big deal it's become without the 4 hour wait for TSA and the banning of all liquids aboard flights. The panic is the news, not the terror plot.

Think about it. For three years we got generic terror alerts. They stopped working. Then we got more specific announcements: Library building in LA, subway threats, foiled some unnamed cell's unspecified plan. That stopped working.

Now, in a desperate bid to force us to pay attention, they've seriously ****ed up air travel.

Colour me cynical. (I don't know which level that colour corresponds to on the Homeland Security chart.)

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's yellow on the Backbone chart.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

scintillating as always. thanks for stopping by.

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'm sorry.

Eight years ago the biggest scandal in the world (at least in Right-wing eyes) was a blowjob. Six years ago we were the richest, most powerful nation on the planet with a growing economy, a budget surplus and everybody was our friend.

In five short years - that's right, only five years! - we've become a paranoid, fear-mongering society. We jump at our own shadows, spend hundreds of billions blowing up people who *might* hurt us, someday, *if* they get the weapons they *could* be developing. Our government has proven itself to be incompetent in the realm of defense (9-11), disaster management (Katrina), fiscal responsibility ($350 billion - this year), war-making (ironically, their chosen best profession - and they've lost the war to an always never-quite-in-its-last-throes insugency), and international politics and policy (dumping Kyoto, the ABM, Geneva conventions and the rapidly expanding crisis that is the Middle East).

And you have the *nerve* to give *me* :rolleyes: ?

[explicative deleted]

12. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Actually, I'm always nearby. Western Suburbs, don'tyaknow.

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

/signed

until i see some photos, some names, all I have is CNN and "THE MEDIA" to go on, so how can I be 100% sure this even happened...all I hear is plot foiled, no drinks allowed etc etc.....where or how can this ever even be proven? sigh....

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You left out the border, 5 yrs after 911 a Republican President,Congress and the border is still open.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

you should change your location. 'cuz you're not a chicagoan, dontchaknow.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Agreed.
    Good to know that Reid's statement today was not for political gain, just W's.:rolleyes:

17. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

First, I gave zim a :rolleyes: . Are you the same dude?

Second, the rolleyes was to the suggestion that the Bush administration is desparately hoping for another terrorist attack.

Third, anyone can put together a laundry list of grievances. What does that have to do with anything? I don't agree that everything was great under Clinton and everything's gone to hell under Bush and because of Bush.

What are you trying to say, that Bush is trying to forment world discord so that the U.S can stage an occupation of the entire Middle East and Armageddon can commence?

Here's my stance: Bush is a lousy president with good intentions. Meanwhile, Islamic fascists are trying to bring the West to it's knees. That's the story reflected in today's news. Not whether a politician spins current events in his favor.

:rolleyes:

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

wow. bush uses the (inaccurate) phrase "islamic fascists", and all the unthinkers start repeating it the same day.

that's some propaganda machine you got there, mr bush.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You do know what a fascist is, right?

20. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I've been using it for years, and so have commentators on the right and left. But you're right: It is a loaded word.

What I mean is, people who are driven by religion, want to kill non-believers, want to bring about a new caliphate that extends at least to Andalucia, wipe Israel off the map, bring "Death to America", execute homosexuals, and impose a theocratic, totalitarian dictatorship on the world.

I mean, that's exactly what they say they want to do. And you're saying Bush wants them to succeed. :rolleyes:

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's not fascist. Especially the theocracy part.

22. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

"fundamentalist".

if you think the neocons are above using 9/11 and other attacks -- or even potential attacks -- to maintain and even increase their power, you're being naïve.

and you can stop rolling your eyes at me, it's rude.

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Woah. Totalitarian isn't facist?

24. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

If we're going to get exacting over definitions, let's be clear that Bush, Cheney, Rice, and Rumsfeld aren't neo-cons. Wolfowitz and Perle, sure.

And yeah, I know politicians—especially big, bad republicans (for whom I do not vote, by the way)—aren't above much.

I'm just saying that Bush using this to his favor ain't news, and it ain't sh*t compared to the reality we're facing from the "fundamentalists."

25. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

rumsfeld and cheney are. and you're arguing a straw man, regardless. the adminstration -- neocon or not -- has been doing nothing but giving itself powers.

fine, you don't think it's news. AP disagrees, as do other outlets running the story. i disagree. i reckon a few others here do, as well. you've made your point. are you going to continue making it, is it your goal to disrupt the conversation? if not, what is your purpose?