Bush sees 2.6M new jobs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 9, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

i wonder, given how far the estimates were off for 2003, what, if anything, was changed in how they forecast.

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Re: Bush sees 2.6M new jobs

nothing, except the election is closer and positive numbers, regardless of their slim possibility, sound good.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Bush sees 2.6M new jobs

Well, if you apply the formula where Bush predicted 1.7M jobs and came up with 53,000 lost, we can predict a net loss of 81,058.8 jobs.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wonder if one of those is a manufactoring job? you know those jobs that are being shipped to every country but the USA? the jobs The President is talking about are those jobs that illegal mexicans are doing, Lawn care,Concrete layers, House keepers & fast food like Mcdonalds. Thanks Republican Party. we will become a service industry country. China will be the Manufactoring base of the world , Look at where your next imac comes from. It wont say made in the USA.

5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

sure im only 14, but i want a job. i need to start saving money for later on in life, and i can't find a single job.
    find me a job, and i'll be happy. i may not be able to vote, but shouldn't you worry about me? no, of course not. there is no way people my age can be taken seriously because everyone stereotypes by age now. i have to wait until i am 16 to get a job besides mcdonalds. why? i should be able to find a job.

and that's the end of my little rant.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Will any of those jobs pay more than minimum wage?

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

when the GOP's in power, we should feel lucky that there _is_ a minimum wage

8. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

because the progressives have successfully lobbied Congress passing a law saying that certain people under a certain age should not be working... in that time, it was about children working at the factories under deplorable conditions... but you are seeing the effects of 'Unintended Consequences' of everything that government does.

you could work for in your family business, maybe. Or there is always washing cars for your neighbors, paper route for a small local newspaper, walking dogs, and mowing lawns. sure, it could be a bit intimidating going to your neighbor and asking for a job, but think of it as character development.

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    these are EXACTLY the intended consequences of government job regulations. 14 yr olds are not supposed to be eligible for the adult job market...history has shown that children are another form of slave labor...or maybe indentured servants at best.

i suggest you read "the disappearance of childhood".

but there will always be plenty of community jobs for kids that want work...such as the lawn mowing you mentioned..or pool cleaning( a neighbor of mine started a pool cleaning biz before he could drive and eventually turned it into a multi-million dollar pool supply business), babysitting and a slew of other odd jobs. and most pay cash which means=no taxes.

10. wwworry macrumors regular

can one still deliver papars as a 12 yr. old?

11. wwworry macrumors regular

yes, now these same American companies have children overseas working in deplorable conditions (etch-a-sketch factory in China).

But I guess since it happened and people with money thought they would make more money then THE MARKET HAS SPOKEN. It's ok. Only people who run businesses can determine THE HALLOWED WORD OF THE MARKET. DO not question it. :confused:

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh and why did progressives pass that law? Hmm, I think it was because people who thought the market was always right saw a market in child labor to exploit, and with no one to stop them turned it in to an industry.

;)

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

in my area, no one will trust a 14 year old because they think that we're all rebels and don't listen to anyone. also, in MYS, you can get a job at 14 if you have working papers, which i have had for almost a year now. there are also laws which make me only able to work 40 hours a week, and i can't work in a factory setting until either 16 or 18, meaning not even BJ's. there are a lot of immature 14 year olds in my area, but i am not one of them, at least i think i am not. i think that if kids my age want to work in a place other than mcdonalds, they should be able to. i am not asking to abolish the child labor laws, i am asking to make new ones to make it easy for everyone.

by the way, i am going to write a letter to a congressman, and i also want to point out, equal opportunity employer is not equal for younger people.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

what kind of factories you got over there?!?

15. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

there are no factories, but BJ's is considered a factory environment, meaning you have to be 16 to work there.

16. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Maybe the United States of America should pick a fight with the ChiComs and invade, that way we can liberate the chinese from dictators (and save the children from working at etch-a-sketch factories). :p

Wonder if there are exemptions from the Child Labor laws. The problem that comes up with laws like this, with unintended consequences is that it makes law-abiding good-intentioned people question the correctness of the law. Sometimes, they would even disobey the law, and that lessens respect for the law, which is a very bad thing.

So, the Child Labor law does help out in that children are not exploited, but the unintended consequence is that people like bennetsaysargh, who are under 14, and would like to work a little to get some spending cash are turned away from jobs even though they want to work.

17. wwworry macrumors regular

I'm sorry but bennetsaysargh does not know what it's like to work in a factory and if she/he did he/she would probably be out of there in a second. Not to mention that there are hardly any factories that accept part-time employees. Maybe he/she could work the night shift. That would help the grades. Plus there will be plenty of time to work and worry about money later on in life. I would suggest reading a book instead. Cheap!

In the etch-a-sketch factory they work 12 hour days 7 days a week and wages even below the Chineese minimum of $0.55 /hr. THey are fead meat once a month. Everyone in Ohio (the company is called Ohio Art) got laid off their $9.50/hr. job. But far be it from me to question the market - whatever the owners of capital want is ok with me. This lucky duck is glad to have a penny.

[here we are, bennetsaysargh, arguing your fate and debating whether you should be able to get a factory job when you just wanted to work at BJ's which you probably consider a retail job. Sorry to use your job search as ammunition in our on-going discussion. I wish you luck. Selling cold things on hot days is always a good idea and the reverse is good too. But don't get locked into long hours right away. Remember, 5 days-a-week, 50 weeks a year for 55 years awaits you. Ug. It's not so bad once you get used to it. Buy real-estate early in upward city neighborhoods is my advice. I still kick myself for not buying that building for $49,000 and 4 years later I saw it listed for $198,000. Once you get your first building it is a lot easier to get your second. Money makes money. The more money you have the easier it is to make more of it.]

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

there's always a market for 14 year olds to mow lawns, shovel snow, help people clean out garages, do other lawn maintenance, help paint houses, odd jobs, etc. plus there's the paper route.

i agree w/ wwworry, don't be in such a hurry to slave away at a real job. do the above kind of stuff, collect your (tax free) cash, and enjoy the variety and downtime.

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Re: Re: Bush sees 2.6M new jobs

That is the beauty of statistics. If the person listening to them doesn't know how they work you can easily deceive them. We can only compare employment numbers from when he started to now.

20. thegeek187 macrumors member

argh,

get real, there are plenty of jobs but you dont want to look around. So what? take the mcdonalds. You have to start somewhere.

And what you are saying that bush said you are twisting his words. he means ADULTS (18+) who are NOT dependents. YOU are a dependent you DONT NEED a job. There are plenty of jobs around here ryan as ive told you but you dont want to look around.

thats why i know plenty of kids your age who have jobs! because they looked

21. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Bush as Carnac:

Attached Files:

• gb3.jpg
      gb3.jpg
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Don't Hurt Me, manufacturing jobs started "moving overseas" way, way back. The first example comes from back in the 1970s, when I learned that the hotrodders' "mag wheels" were coming from India. Heck, Swedish steel cost less in Dearborn than did steel from Pittsburgh, and that was in 1962!

As the rest of the world started building industrial infrastructure, our regulations and pay scales made us non-competitive as to pricing. U.S. corporate profitability as return on investment has been in steady decline for over twenty years.

Sure, we could do the tariff thing, but that would merely jack up prices beyond the reach of way too many folks. It's bad enough already, when you think of housing and cars. There's a reason so many people shop at Wally World.

Still, the biggest ripoff going, pricewise, has gotta be Nike shoes. What do they cost, per pair, to manufacture? A couple of bucks?

As far as child labor laws, it seems to me that as usual, the rigidity is the problem. There should be some fairly simple way for parental approval to be factored in, and monitored exceptions made. With all the laws on the books, now, to protect adults, exploitation of a knowledgeable youngun shouldn't be a great problem...

'Rat

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

there are exceptions. kids are allowed to work in family businesses, including farms. additionally, the system looks the other way wrt paper routes, odd jobs, mowing lawns, shoveling snow, etc.

i'm afraid i don't see what's 'missing'

24. wwworry macrumors regular

It's funny. "Childhood", or the concept of it, really arose with the middle class. Before that children were seen a little adults, not developementally different other than size.

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

zim, if more people had their own businesses, maybeso kids like bennett wouldn't have to say, "Argh."

There're a lot of "Bring me..." jobs that aren't really worth $5.15 an hour. Homebuilders need somebody to go get a board, or bring some nails; little stuff of that sort. In my wife's plant, the regular workers could use a helper or to to chase parts for the assembly. Part time and/or light duty stuff that early teenagers could do and learn about the formal aspects of jobs and employment.

I dunno. I guess growing up around farming and ranching gave me a different view about working at a young age. I was working cattle from horseback at age eight, and by age ten was helping haul hay and fix fence. At age twelve I figured out that picking cotton for $0.02 a pound just really sucked. Driving a tractor to cut and rake hay was fun, though; it sure beat looking at the south end of a northbound plowhorse. :) All that gave me plenty of incentive to become an engineer.

'Rat