Bush submits $2.9 trillion budget to Congress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 5, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

"more war, less healthcare, keep the AMT". sounds like a winning plan to me :rolleyes:

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Wow, over 20% of our budget is now dedicated to killing people and it's still not enough! When will those fools learn?! Obviously pouring more money into the Pentagon is necessary. If we're ever going to win this war we needs *more* bombs, *more* planes and *more* soldiers.

To see our military budget languish like this in the middle of a war is sad. I had faith in Bush, but now I'm not so sure.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok, so he's gonna save $78 billion in Medicare and Medicaid over five years, then piss away $800 billion over five years on tax cuts that overwhelmingly benefit the richest strata of Americans? Ooooo big saver. :rolleyes:

This is disingenuous at best. While the WH is certainly afraid of their support levels dropping to single-digits if they increase any tax anywhere anytime, after watching Congress for the past six years it boggles the mind that anyone believes that Republicans are bold spending-reducers. At least be honest and say neither party wants to cut spending.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Bush's inheritance depends on the US Government increasing their war spend whilst keeping taxes for the rich as low as possible. He's just protecting what will be his.

And the rest of you? Well, it's just your own fault for not being the first-born sons of multi-millionaire arms dealers isn't it. So quit your whining.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They better get rid of the AMT - permanently! Making the tax cuts permanent is a good idea too. We've been paying extortionary rates for far too long.

Didn't see a mention of the creation of a "tax me more" fund though so that those that think they don't pay high enough taxes could contribute what they think is their fair share.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nothing has changed for our President, again bombs & foreign countries have priority over the country known as the U.S.A. Again the Rich get richer and he squeezes the middle class and the poor. This budget should be sent back to him and rejected by Congress.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Obviously the we you must be referring to are the trust fund babies and CEOs with their outrageous golden parachutes. It's hard to feel sorry for people who either don't earn their money or earn it in such ways that are unavailable to the majority of Americans. Why anyone would side with them is beyond me. Wannabes maybe?

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No, I'm referring to all the middle class families that I know that are getting screwed by the AMT now. It also includes the death tax that supposedly only the rich pay that screw the middle class all the time now.

I don't envy what others have or make, although I've been on record on what I think of boards stupid enough to overpay execs or provide golden parachutes. I do know that some of the worst offenders of being "trust fund babies" are Dems like Senator Kennedy. Somehow the screw the rich policies can't get at his trusts in Fiji and his bleeding heart still hasn't caused him to move them to the continental US.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So it's a safe bet you're in the upper 2% of income earners in this country? IOW, the elitist, sushi-eating, latte-drinking, SUV-driving crowd that self-loathing conservatives love to loathe??

:rolleyes:

No one voluntarily pays more taxes than they have to. But they will pay what they owe, and if they owe more they will pay it.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think that those of us that get W-2's and 1099's pay more than our share no matter what the bracket. That's why I'm such a supporter of the Fair Tax. I want those outside the system so to speak to pay their share and then not so much would be required of those of us that currently pay the bills.

And you would lose that bet on my income. Upper 50%, sure, but no where near the 2% mark.

11. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I don't know how such a wealthy nation can reduce their health care system. I mean its just one of the most important rights, and its being reduced. I wonder how much private health insurance is used?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well you certainly have the freedom to choose not to work for yourself and not get 1099'ed...

Just as I have the freedom to move out of the expensive California housing market.

Choices have consequences, no?

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bushco are more interested in weapons,bombs, and its war in Iraq then it is in Healthcare because the rich have Healthcare and dont worry about it. My brother in law is a near millionaire, he pays cash and doesnt even bother with stuff like Health Insurance. Normal people though dont have this ability. Bush represents people like my brother in law not the rest of us in society. Thats why having this guy make policy for our country is nuts.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Exactly. Why do you think he became the president in the first place? Because he is rich, and has all of his rich buddies to back him up. It's all about money, my friends, and when you are already obscenly rich, you want power. (cough Arnold Schwarzenegger)

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

What was the name of that poor guy that was running against him again? I keep forgetting his name.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Sounds like your sister chooses wisely.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

624 billion in one year

3 billion over the time of 10 years spent for the new eurofighter typhoons (we bought 18) is enough to create a commission for investigation around here and made the ÖVP loose their election

18. Queso macrumors G4

But your Government isn't run by the people that money is going to. There's the difference.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean the one who chose wisely when he married? :p

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

True that!