Bush taking over the National Guard from governors?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ted Rall can sometimes come across as melodramatic or paranoid, but you might find this disturbing too:

Yahoo News

Perhaps there are less sinister reasons for this. I can see Bush wanting to "protect" his ability to use National Guard troops from a new influx of Democratic governors who may refuse to cooperate with him.

Yet this does look like bad news of the police state variety. There are two possible reasons the MSM have not picked up on this. One is that Rall (and Leahy) are distorting this story. The other is that the MSM are once again being negligent in raising the alarm.

Like many stories of the Bush administration, this could be one of those that begins "under the radar" and blows up into a much bigger thing. But with only bloggers writing about it and the MSM ignoring it, I'd love to hear the opinions of others -- Congressmen, civil liberties experts, etc. -- to get their take on this. Because if we're to take what Rall says at face value, we've just taken another step towards fascism in America.

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What?!

Be back, gotta' research this....

...but, I'm not exactly thrilled.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Sounds like Bush isn't the only one who should be impeached. The entire 109th Congress (minus Dennis Kucinich) should be booted.

What kind of moron votes for a bill with this in it?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We are going to have to kick out every single republican just to keep our Libertys & Freedoms. The President is hard at work dismantling the Constitution of the United States and killing off the Bill of rights. Just declare someone a bad guy and presto no rights? Thats not how this country was founded. Its unconstitutional. No surprise considering the Moron we have as a president.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

congressional quarterly has a story on it now, here.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A Republican Congress need I say more? Have they done anything right for this country? NeoCons looking for any excuse to remove Liberty & Freedom. I think we know why Daddy Bush was crying, it was because of his D.F Son and I aint talking Jeb.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

zimv20's link is interesting. Leahy fumes that the thing was snuck in as a rider, with no chance for Congressional committees to comment or hold hearings on such an important matter.

And it goes on to say that the states' governors sent concerned letters to the leaders of both parties and Donald Rumsfeld, and got absolutely no response.

Such jackass behavior I expect from the Republicans...and I know Reid and Pelosi were probably powerless to stop it, but I want to know why the governors never even got an answer from them. :mad:

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Reid and Pelosi probably didn't want to have that fight at that time. They knew that the governors would pitch a fit (and rightly so) but they were too scared to take on the Republicans or the Administration over matters of "defending the nation".

It's like we've seen before, the Democrats are too scared to fight for our rights, the Consitution or justice for that matter.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And people wonder why we're so scared. I keep hearing it could never happen, but things like this keep happening. So much potential for abuse.

Ok, now we're fascist! ;) :p :eek: :eek: :( :mad:

10. Queso macrumors G4

I've said it all along. The "War on Terror" is about creating an external enemy so that internal security can be increased to dictatorship levels.

The motivation was never 9/11 but the G8 riots. Mass protests from the peoples of Western nations have their Establishments running scared. They know there is a real possibility that a worldwide movement could emerge to push the übercapitalists from their positions of power. Hence this whole "security" charade to keep everyone in their place with fear.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hmm. Let me think. What country does that remind me of..........?

[​IMG]

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The one on the left?

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whose left?

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, pisses me off this president was calling anyone who disagreed with his 1950's ideas as terrorist sympathizers. Half the U.S.A? This guy is so out of touch he couldnt even catch the 911 mastermind Osama. But he did get us into a war with a country who had nothing to do with 911.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The one that's not coloured blue.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm guessing the one in the middle. For some reason, that's considering left now, whereas the actual left doesn't even seem to exist. Though how they could be considered left boggles my mind, when they so clearly share a lot more in common with the modern right. Which is so far to the right it's gone all the way around and come back again.

Least that's the way I see it.