bush talks to the arab media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, May 4, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

link oh wow. this should be interesting. bush is going to start giving interviews to arab media outlets. jeez, he can't even hold his own with *our* media, they're gonna tear him apart. at best he'll be embarrassing; at worst, he'll exacerbate an already bad situation.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Does Bush talk?

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Man, if he thinks the American media are rough...

5. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Bush will talk to the Arab media about this:

Bush: Delay for Palestinian state

US President George W Bush has said the deadline for setting up a Palestinian state has slipped due to violence and a change of Palestinian leaders.

"I think the timetable of 2005 is not as realistic as it was two years ago," Mr Bush told Egypt's al-Ahram daily.

Responding to the remarks, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat said the 2005 deadline was "more than realistic".

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei will meet US National Security Adviser, Condoleezza Rice, this month in Berlin.

Institutions before state

Mr Bush said the US remained committed to the internationally-accepted peace plan for the Middle East - the roadmap, and would underline this with a letter to Mr Qurei.

"Well, 2005 may be hard, since 2005 is right around the corner. I readily concede the date has slipped some, primarily because violence sprung up."

Mr Bush said the violence, as well as the replacement of Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas - known as Abu Mazen - had "changed the dynamic".

"I don't want to make any excuses," the US leader said, adding: "I do think we ought to push hard as fast as possible to get a state in place.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3696347.stm

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If anyone doesn't think this is another slap at the Palestinians and the Arab world then they don't have a clue about the Middle East. More than likely the Palestinians will push for an unilateral declaration of statehood and push for international recognition. They are likely to get it.

7. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

If the PLO leadership was to start incarcerating or executing those individuals who are known to lead the Palestinian terrorists that would go a long way to putting them back on the road to peace. Israel cannot and should not establish peace with them until they stop coming over the border with bombs strapped about their waists.

8. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Or maybe the Israelis could stop launching missle strikes on palestinian neighborhoods?

9. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Which they wouldn't have to do if Palestinians had policed their own and stopped the suicide attacks in the first place.

10. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Which they don't have to do anyway. When did it become okay for the criminal justice systems of any country to start using heavy military hardware to pursue "justice"? I notice we didn't napalm Montana when we found the Unabomber. We didn't send in tanks and gunships when we captured Timothy McVeigh.

This kind of low-grade non-war is more destructive than capturing and trying bad guys, but apparently the Israelis enjoy having bus stops and nightclubs bombed because they keep pursuing a strategy guaranteed to make it continue. With firm support from our own warmonger-in-cheif, who has already proven that his opinions on the best ways to pursue justice are misguided at best and criminal at worst, I might add.

One side has to stop killing the other first, and since the Israelis have everything to lose and nothing to gain, not to mention they're on the wrong side of the UN, I think they should be the first to stop lobbing heavy artillery at civilians.

11. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Israel is fighting a war against terrorism they are not responsible for handling Palestinians police problems. However they wouldn't have to be fighting this war if Palestinians threw in jail those who brag about sending terrorists out to fight some on TV. See the problem I see is a parade of Palestinians all wearign masks wearing fake bombs shouting death to Israel firing rifles into the air and not one cop there to arrest them. Palestinian police should've brought them to justice.

maybe if they ever finish that wall the problem would be solved. Anyone crosses that wall is either an illegal immigrant or a terrorist. How come nobody is yelling as loudly about why the Palestinians havn't stopped Hamas or the other terrorist groups? What would you want us to do if mexicans where coming accross the border and blowing up movie theaters in Texas?

12. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Israel has been fighting this war since they occupied territory that wasn't theirs after the six-day war. They've made no progess in solving the problem either. In fact, things have only gotten worse. Their methods of detaining anyone they want, and killing indiscriminantly have brought them more grief than working inside accepted means of justice. Our adoption of their methods does not bode well for our future.

If Mexicans started blowing up movie theaters in Texas I wouldn't condone sending the marines into Mexico City to blow up neighborhoods. That's a good plan to keep 'em coming, but I guess our national policy these days is "bring 'em on" so maybe perpetual war is what the people in charge want.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

<offtopic>
    yeah the wall in berlin and germany really solved the problem for the soviets...for them everbody crossing the wall was a traitor and has to be shot...

yeah the chinese wall built against the mongolians really helped them...untill they got conquered by mongolians

yeah the roman 'limes' wall really solved the roman problems with the germanic tribes attacking them...oh sorry got that wrong too

i just thought about it ..i don't remember 1 'big wall' which was succesfull in protecting the ones who built it... once you start building massive walls to protect yourself...your future history already is written
    </offtopic>

14. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Its the only viable answer to stop the terrorism. Also to stop the need for Israel retaliation of that same terrorism. At minimum it will give the two "so called states" breathing room to become seperate entities and maybe work out a more civil arrangement in the future.

If your talking 1967 borders 1. They are undefendable borders and 2. they were increased as a result of peace treaties made after Israel won the war with Egypt and I think the other country was Jordan as concessions to a war they themselves did not start as well as a measure to help increase the security of Israel. For there were those who used those highlands to shoot down on Israel and can't now that its been made a part of Israel.