bush tells the truth...(humor)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 3rdpath, Aug 5, 2004.

1. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning

Bush Misspeak Cites U.S. Readiness to Harm U.S.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush told a roomful of top Pentagon brass on Thursday that his administration would never stop looking for ways to harm the United States.

The latest installment of misspeak from a president long known for his malapropisms came during a signing ceremony for a new $417 billion defense appropriations bill that includes $25 billion in emergency funding for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we," Bush said.

The Republican incumbent, who is in a tight race for reelection against Democrat John Kerry, a decorated Vietnam veteran, used the 11-minute presentation to underscore his commitment to U.S. troops.
    On hand for the ceremony were Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I heard that line live this morning and had to hit the replay button on the DVR to make sure I heard what I thought I heard. Bush looked a little pained, like he realized what he'd said but couldn't go back at that point.

Reminder to Rove: Don't let Dubya out of the WH without his talking points stapled to his head! :D

3. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Just saw it on CNN. Very funny. Another quote for a new book of bushisms.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And a mirror.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Obvious problem there, IJ... :rolleyes:

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've known several people who were around Dubya back in his pre-governor and governor days. It has been pretty much unanimous that in one-on-one, or with small and known-to-him groups, he doesn't have all this "Bushism" problem. But, Lordy! Put him in front of strangers or in front of a large group, and who the heck knows what's gonna come out!

I watched the televised debates when he ran for re-election against Garry Mauro. Now, Mauro was nowhere near being the intellectual champion of the Texas Democratic Party, but he wasn't a total dummy. In the debates, Dubya clearly had the best of it, and there was none of this Bushism stuff.

Damfino...

'Rat

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha very amusing ..especially for somebody outside of the USA

you know "madrid or milano, i don't mind as long as it's italy"

;)

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

He appears to actually have a learning disability which is why his words come out mixed up. He could be a great President *if* he had any character. He could bring a face to people who are LD and be a great advocate. Instead he ignores it and looks stupid. He is doing a great disservice to all those who also are LD.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

'Rat,

Could it be that he's risen above his level of competence? I've seem him in situations where he seemed confident of the material, and he managed to speak extemporaneously without any twisted phrases falling from his lips.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's at least a germ of truth in there. When Bush speaks about his vacations or buddies, he rarely has a gaffe.

My implication, of course, is that his level of competence is that of a party animal. When it comes to running a nation, he's in over his head.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

For all the slack you cut Bush, haven't you harped on Kerry for his "I voted for the $87B before I voted against it" gaffe?

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"For all the slack you cut Bush, haven't you harped on Kerry for his "I voted for the $87B before I voted against it" gaffe?"

Nope, not me, hoss...

I don't see how it's cutting slack to try to figure out why folks do what they do. I try to figure out how people will react to certain stimuli, so I can have a handle on which way they'll jump when some situation arises. That can sometimes put a fair amount of money in my pocket...Anyhow, I'm more interested in why people do what they do; nothing I've seen with Clinton or Bush has been all that new or different (other than Monica) insofar as policies or behavior. Heck, you can go back farther than Clinton, for that matter. The various steps have been logical, though not necessarily all that rational.

Yeah, IJ, it could well be that Bush is in over his head. He did better at the gubernatorial level, for sure. He seems to vulnerable to manipulation by his advisors/Cabinet for his own good. His people don't seem to have a good handle on outside-the-box thinking in the game of international chess in which they're engaged--and not really doing all that well...

My big problem with this campaign is that I don't see Kerry and his (probable) folks being any more successful in international affairs. It all sounds good, of course, as it always does. It's the usual deal of telling us what they think we want to hear.

Plus ça change, plus ça meme chose...

'Rat

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think if you look into the learning disability you might find the explanation for why he sometimes makes sense and sometimes doesn't.

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Not sure where you get this from. It was my reading of his gubernatorial mess that I predicted (accurately) how badly he would screw the country...

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think he has a leading disability.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hey, Neserk, in what part of Texas do you live?

Since the actions of Texas' state government affect my life and the lives of my friends, I can only judge by how we were affected during Bush's tenure. Ergo, my comment.

'Rat

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh. Just started reading Molly Ivins' "Bushwhacked", and the whole introduction is dedicated to that topic.
    :D

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wait a minute...I just watched that again.

Does he really say, in his next sentence, "We must never stop thinking about how to offend our country,"?

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

He says defend, but he's never been a real clear enunciator -- so it's easy to get confused.

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

You can't see the forest for the trees.

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yes, is an incompetent slob. But language issues don't automatically make someone a bad leader. The two just happen to both coincide with in the same moron who is occupying the white house :D

22. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I think Bush is pretty much being used as a puppet by Cheney, Rumsfield, Wolfowitz etc to push all of their own agendas.

From over here, the whole Bush as president thing appears as though Cheney, Rumsfield etc got together and said something like "If we could get into the whitehouse it would be a really good way to serve our businesses and get our agendas done."

They don't appear to have got into the whitehouse with their primary objective being the running of the country, but their own personal aims.

To sum up looks like they treated it as a good business decision, nothing to do with whats good for the U.S.