Bush: Terrorists converging on Iraq, US must stay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 24, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

the makeup of the iraq insurgency has always been disputed, and i'd love to know bush's source for his assertion.

and i enjoy the irony in the first two paragraphs: the juxtaposition of "terrorists are converging in iraq" and "1500 US troops are heading to iraq."

finally, who's got the right idea on the makeup of the insurgency force? anyone seen any good analysis?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Personally, I think it's a brilliant strategy. If we lure all the terrorists into one spot it will be easier to kill them.

Lethal

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

after that, let's lure all the drug dealers and gang members into one spot and kill them. any ideas on how to do it?

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was sarcasm, right?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Got it in one, I would say. On second thought....

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

*taps solvs' sarcasm meter* I think the batteries need to be replaced. :D

Lethal

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

ack. mine too. :)

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I thought the terrorists were on their last legs... :rolleyes:

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They are -- their last two legs. Each.

10. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    This is getting really old.

I didn't think anyone was stupid enough to believie some shifty alcoholic from Texas when he says it's too soon to pull out...

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder if he used the same line on Laura... "Pulling out now would weaken our relationship." Bang, twins. :D

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This reminds me of a line from the Vietnam days. Something about Nixon not pulling out quickly enough...

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's a different thread. :D

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I think what emboldens the terrorists has more to do with our response(s) to that problem.

If my enemy proved to be somewhat incompetent and reckless, all while spending themselves into ruin and ruining their reputation - I would be pretty encouraged...

Is it so impossible to admit that we cannot "win" an unconventional war, with shadowy, stateless opponents, using tactics that cannot be overwhelmed except by overwhelming physical force?

Some people need to get over themselves...all these supposed Christians seem to forget the sin of Pride.

meh. And that is putting it lightly.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Definitely. There is a strong tendency to imagine that the opposition - let's call them that, shall we? - is devoid of political nous. We (or more often you, as in US of A) forget that they've been at it since the seventh century. They know a thing or two.

The Israelis and the Russians have both tried that option and failed miserably. You cannot win an unconventional war. Period.

Go on, let it out! ;)

16. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Maybe that's why they keep blowing people up. They want their legs.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This touches on an important point - the tendency to paint the opposition (as you coined) as merely savage and in some ways "beneath us" in terms of sophistication.

Some of this can probably be contributed to cultural bias/hubris. In any case, it is obvious that this is not only an erroneous position to take, but a dangerous one as well. You should never underestimate your opponent.

Just becuase someone is fanatical does not mean that they are stupid. Sometimes they are indeed both <insert joke here>, but the true threat and gravity of the situation is that they are all too often both fanatical and very clever.

You can see this in the "modern" conservative/evangelical movement here in the states, and you can see it in many of these terrorist organizations.

Lest you think I am equating Bush and company with Al Qaida, I damn well am. The tools they use to their respective ends may be very different, in part due to circumstance, but their profile is very similar.

And we wonder why we are not making more progress...I do so miss reason and pragmatism.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It can also be traced to the benefits of dehumanizing your enemy employed by such as the military. You should hear some of the names military folks have for the 'enemy' that I've heard. It's much easier to kill people if you don't really think of them as people like yourself.

19. tristan macrumors 6502a

I'm going to suggest to my bank that they take some of the cash out of their vault and leave it in big bags in the parking lot.

Sure, it sounds crazy, but hear me out. That money will attract potential thieves. Then we can stop those thieves before they ever make it to the bank vault. We fight the thieves in the parking lot, so we don't have to fight them in the bank itself.

Of course, some people will say that it's stupid to just leave your money out on the parking lot, and that we're just deliberately attracting thieves and throwing our money away, but those kind of comments just embolden the thieves. Putting the money back in the vault would show the thieves that they'd won. And besides, we're only talking about money, not American soldiers lives.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Many would see it as a sign of strength. You clearly don't need the money.

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

:)

continuing your analogy, i would counter that people who are not normally thieves may become such.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Just checking. :cool: You never know these days. Especially around here. Some people may not have taken it as sarcasm. ;)