Bush, The Great Decider of Decisions...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XNine, Apr 18, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Full Article (also found here:
    Bush: 'I'm the decider' on Rumsfeld
    Defense chief set to meet with so-called 'TV generals'

Tuesday, April 18, 2006; Posted: 11:12 a.m. EDT (15:12 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush on Tuesday emphasized once again his support for his defense secretary, saying Donald Rumsfeld "is doing a fine job."

At a Rose Garden ceremony announcing his nominees for budget director and trade representative, Bush referred to the controversy in which six retired generals recently have called for Rumsfeld's resignation.

"I hear the voices, and I read the front page and I know the speculation," the president said. "But I'm the decider, and I decide what's best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defense."

Also Tuesday, Rumsfeld planned to meet with a group of retired generals who regularly appear as analysts on television and in newspapers.

Retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Donald Shepperd, a CNN military analyst who will attend the session, said more than a dozen similar meetings have been held in the past. But he said that Tuesday's meeting was called late last week, apparently in response to recent events.

Shepperd said such meetings give the generals an opportunity to ask tough questions and that they are not limited to those who agree with the Pentagon on every issue.

Recently, six retired generals -- including former commanders of two Army divisions that saw combat in Iraq -- have called for Rumsfeld to resign.

They accuse him of ignoring advice from senior officers about how to prosecute the war and sending too few troops into Iraq to manage the occupation after the March 2003 invasion.

In defense of Rumsfeld, four retired generals wrote an op-ed piece Monday in The Wall Street Journal suggesting that some of his critics don't understand the war on terrorism.

"Much of the acrimony expressed by Secretary Rumsfeld's military critics appears to stem from his efforts to 'transform' the military by moving to a joint expeditionary force that is lighter and more mobile in nature to meet the nation's current and future threats," the commentary said.

"Many senior officers and bureaucrats did not support his transformation goals -- preferring conventional weapons of the past ... which prove practically useless against lawless and uncivilized enemies engaged in asymmetric warfare," the writers continued. (Watch Rumsfeld fight fire with fire -- 2:18)

The op-ed piece was written by retired Lt. Gen. John Crosby, former deputy commanding general of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command; retired Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney, former assistant vice chief of staff of the U.S. Air Force; retired Maj. Gen. Buron Moore, U.S. Air Force, who was director of Central Command during Operation Desert Storm; and retired Maj. Gen Paul Vallely, former deputy commander of the U.S. Army, Pacific.

Of the two Rumsfeld critics the piece singled out, retired Marine Corps Gen. Anthony Zinni is a former chief of U.S. Central Command and retired Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Greg Newbold is a former director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

"It unfortunately appears that two of the retired generals (Messrs. Zinni and Newbold) do not understand the true nature of this radical ideology, Islamic extremism, and why we fight in Iraq. We suggest they listen to the tapes of United 93," the piece continued, referring to the hijacked plane that went down in Pennysylvania on 9/11.

The four retired generals also said it was inappropriate for senior military officers -- active or retired -- to criticize the civilian leadership during war.

At the White House briefing Monday, press secretary Scott McClellan pointed to the Wall Street Journal op-ed as evidence that retired generals stand behind the defense secretary.

Also Monday, U.S. Rep. Harold Ford Jr., a Tennessee Democrat running for his state's Senate seat, suggested replacing Rumsfeld with former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

"Gen. Powell's experience resolving complicated and sensitive national security challenges is needed now more than ever," Ford said in a statement. "He will bring a respect for our military, a willingness to listen, a capacity to admit and correct mistakes and an attention to detail that is absent now in the top job at the Pentagon." -END OF ARTICLE

So, Bush's decisions are always right then, eh? :rolleyes:

2. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Did you ask Bush for permission to create this thread?

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

WTF??

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Either you agree with Rumsfeld, or you don't understand.

Everybody got that?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No possible comment.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Iraq wasnt well thought out any Knucklehead except the few in Office know that. Standing all these years the blood has rushed out of his head, perhaps rummy should retire or sit down. I still have to ask what are we risking lots of folks lives for...................Oil???? because they didnt have wmds. Iraq was a mess before we went in and will be a mess a thousand years from now. Irans Shiites will run the whole region thanks to Rumsfeld & Bush & fellow vietnam draft dodgers. great job:rolleyes:

7. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

No, and I just got an email from an Lawyer for the White House stating that they are suing me for e-annoyance. ;)

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, at least they're no longer blaming iraq for 9/11.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Was there any Islamic extremism in Iraq before the invasion?

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Shhh! You didn't hear? We are only to refer to him as "His Royal Highness" and to say something negative about him is treason!

e

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Look, we know how to address royalty: "Oi! You parasitic bastards!", or words to that effect. Learn from those who know.

12. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Great. As if "Jackass" isn't enough syllables.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bush will never fire Rummy. His boss (Dick Cheney) won't let him.

How ****ing patronizing. :mad:

14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Well, someone needs to decide our decisions. I'm waiting for him to decide the decision that this story is a non-story so he can get on deciding the decisions about the real non-non-stories, like how Iraq wasn't not involved in September 11th.

Why do they protect Rumsfeld? He seems so scapegoatable to me. Do they worry that firing Rumsfeld equates to saying Iraq was a mistake? 'Cause we all know that already.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Because it would show weakness in the face of the war on terrah.

Because they never heard of what Will Rogers said: "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They want him to clean up his own mess. He's tried to step down, they won't let him. Unless that was just posturing. Even then, the President knows who runs the show. It ain't him, no matter how he acts like he is.

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Brilliant! :D

Though I think they could have done more with it -- especially the last two lines. :eek: