Bush to Larry King: Ken Lay a "Good Guy"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jul 7, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

KING: The death of Ken Lay.

G. BUSH: Yes, yes.

KING: I know he was your friend. How do you feel? Were you shocked?

G. BUSH: I was. I was very surprised. You know, just -- my hope is that his heart was right with the Lord, and I feel real sorry for his wife. She's had a rough go, and she's now here on earth to bear the burdens of losing her husband, a man she loved.

KING: Was that whole thing, the whole Enron story shocking to you?

G. BUSH: Yes, yes.

KING: Because, I mean, you knew him pretty well from Texas, right?

G. BUSH: Pretty well, pretty well. I knew him. I got to know him. This -- people don't believe this, but he actually supported Ann Richards in the '94 campaign.

KING: She told me that.

G. BUSH: She did?

KING: She liked him a lot.

G. BUSH: Yes, he's a good guy. And so what I did -- then did was we had a business council, and I kept him on as the chairman of the business council. And, you know, got to know him and got to see him in action.

One of the things I respected him for was he was such a contributor to Houston's civil society. He was a generous person. I'm disappointed that there was this -- he betrayed the trust of shareholders, but...

KING: Did you know him well, Mrs. Bush?

L. BUSH: I knew him. Not really well, but I did know him.

KING: Did you know his wife?

L. BUSH: And I know Linda and I'm sorry for her.

KING: Did you contact her?

L. BUSH: I haven't.

G. BUSH: I haven't yet. I'm going to write her a letter at some point in time.​

Glad to know Bush thinks the guy behind the Enron fiasco is a good guy. I wonder what you have to do (besides be a Democrat NOT named Lieberman) to get Bush to think you're not a good guy...

Link'd

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i suspect anyone who practices pure capitalism -- free from oversight and ruthless -- will be an okay guy by bush.

an unused resource is a wasted resource, right?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As people are now dragging up a similar situation that crashed Enron, one a couple years after the merger in the mid 80s.

Ken Lay just happened to do everything he could to save the company from rouge traders/entities, just happened to include coverups and lying to everyone -- just long long enough to prevent a run on the bank.

Problem was a decade later, he couldn't lie his way through it.

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, he thinks Putin is a good guy too, and we know how ruthless that guy is...

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Be a gay.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

True.
    Or an atheist, if he's anything like his dad.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I was going to say "Jesus Hater," but you know...

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Someone at work today shared this. He was at a birthday party last night and the bday boy was quite drunk. Was trying to get someone to film him burning a flag while kissing a guy. Wanted to share something with Bush besides his birthday.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, if you ask the religious right, they're synonomous now.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good guys allways screw people out of thousands,millions. George & Ken Lay anyone shocked? Our President had a pardon waiting for this guy. Anyone get the feeling the American people are for the taking.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

Ken Lay wasn't a capitalist. He was a crook who defrauded his stockholders and lenders. There are thousands of CEOs of thousands of public companies, don't drag them all down to Ken Lay's level.

I think this thread is a cheap shot - Bush also says that Lay betrayed his shareholder's trust, which is an accurate description of events. The guy died, it doesn't hurt to find something decent to say.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm talking about the kind of capitalism where all's fair, including fraud, raping "worker ants" of everything they've got, and relying on gov't collusion to get away with it.

you'll find no sympathy from me.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Like Apple in China?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

don't know, actually. is there something i can look at?

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I suppose George Bush still believes in honor among thieves

16. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, where are your accolades for al-Zarqawi then? Will you find something decent to say about bin Laden when he passes?

This thread isn't a cheap shot, it's about Bush being unable to unequivocably say that what Lay did was bad. He sees no shades of grey when it comes to his opponents, or people like Saddam, but get him talking about "Kenny Boy" and suddenly it's all about the shades of grey...

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry but- Ken Lay was an a**hole. He was the lowest form of scum on the planet an you think we should feel bad he died? :confused:

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A bio on Lay said he started out from a poor family. IIRC, he finally got an accounting degree. Fell in with folks who built up Enron and got rich; spent a ton of money on charities and public stuff in Houston.

Somehow, the decision was made at Enron to invest in derivatives; they bet wrong, just like the guy at Barclay's bank or the Nobel Laureates at LTCM. Oops! And that's when the top management of Enron all went to squirming and lying, trying to save the company. Sure, save themselves, but the company was the Big Deal of their lives.

Lots of folks are honest as the day is long, while things are okay financially. If they get in over their heads, all you can do is hope they don't owe you money. Self-preservation is the #1 priority and everything else is in last place.

So if you've ever gone without in order to pay off a debt that someone's chicanery cost you, you have a real right to bitch. Otherwise, be a little thoughtful--you might just get yourownself in a jam someday.

None of which means that I'd invite a Ken Lay to my house for supper.

:), 'Rat

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? When you get yourself in a jam, you admit it and ask for help no matter how embarrassing the situation. Lying and fraud are not the way to go. They just make any situation worse.

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Really? That's what ya'll think he was saying? What I got out of it was Bush basically said, "The Ken Lay I knew was a good guy. I just can't believe he would do something like this..."

:confused:

21. Queso macrumors G4

Putin is a necessary bastard. Until Russia matures into a stable entity, no-one else can hold it together. He's Russia's General Tito.

22. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sorry, "he's" is a contraction for "he is", not "he was".

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Well, considering he was living and is now dead, I figured "was" would be the proper verb...

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not especially now, though I suppose you could serve anything and it wouldn't matter.

25. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Soylent Green?

:confused: :eek: ;) :D