Bush trying to end Holocaust victim assistance laws

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mcrain, Apr 24, 2003.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/1881267

2. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Well, even after reading the article, I don't know enough about the issue to comment on it. Except that if Bush is alienating Muslims and now Jews, and is letting the likes of Graham give Easter sermons at the Pentagon and proselytize in Iraq at taxpayer expense (yes, he would be covered under Bush's "faith-based initiatives" program), well that tells you a lot about Bush's mindset.

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

As I said, I don't know enough about how insurance claims could interfere with our foreign policy to be able to fully comment on it. But I was just pointing out how the action might be viewed by Jewish groups, for which anything Holocaust-related is obviously a very emotional issue.

4. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

From what I read of the Washington Post article about the Clinton administration's similar situation it seemed like the problem there was that the federal government was also attempting to enforce these policies and the California action was simply interfering with those efforts. Does anyone know if the Bush administration is attempting to enforce these policies, or do they just want to avoid potentlial legal debacles?

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Ah, ok, thanks. The article you posted is much better at covering the issues involved.

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

The holocaust has happend, and is over now. People have had time to recover. We can't support them for ever now, can we?

I have nothing against jews or anyone else (well, maybe liberals, but that's for another thread...)

Yes, the holocaust was bad, but what's done is done, and we've helped get some of the survivors back on their feet. We saved them in the first place. If it weren't for the US, many more holocaust victims would have died in concentration camps. Helping them financially was another showing of how generous the US is. Unfortunately, we can't help them forever. They have the opportunity like every other American to get a job, and earn a living.

This is like some case I heard some time back where an african american woman wanted to sue a farm or something for keeping her great grandfather (or someone in her family) as a slave. People are so lazy and spoiled, they try to milk government programs for all their worth to try to earn a living...

Get rid of welfare too, while you're at it. Where I'm from, the majority of welfare checks go to drugs, beer, and things like that, and the person remains poor, and a bum.

7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

And candy bars: ;)

Attached Files:

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The mantra of survivors is "Never Forget"

This comes off as rather self-righteous. The US did nothing to stop the holocaust that didn't involve defeating Germany as the primary objective. Liberating the camps was a secondary issue.

WTF? "Get a job, and earn a living"? The holocaust ended in 1945, nearly 60 years ago; even those who were children are at retirement age.

How you can go from laws helping holocaust survivors to welfare in the same argument is beyond me, and rather alarming.

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Hey G4Scott,
    I like you and all, but come on man. It's amazing to me that, while you may feel that the US has met its obligations to the survivors, you could phrase it in such a crass and wholly inept fashion as you did. I guarantee that you'll feel different once you get out into the world and see how things really are outside your parents' house. That's not me trying to be mean or anything, it's just what I know from experience. Hell, I was a republican until I started paying my own way. Let's just say that's not true anymore. I guess what I'm saying is that your ideas are your own, and that's great. Just try to be a bit less abrasive when you voice them for the good of the community. That way you foster discussion instead of resentment.

10. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, guys, this has NOTHING to do with whether we are giving or supporting Holocaust victims.

This is nothing more than potential beneficiaries under insurance policies attempting to get information about policies that were purchased by people who died in the holocaust.

The insurance companies just don't want to pay the money, so they are resisting giving out the information. It's that simple, but...

but...

the people the insurance companies are screwing over are relatives of people who died in the holocaust, so it looks really bad. Especially because most of these companies were German or Swiss and they figured no one would mind if they didn't pay out on insurance plans when the people were killed by their government (German's at least).