Bush Uses Recess Appointment to Send Bolton to U.N.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Aug 1, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-080105bolton_wr,0,6518313.story

This, hot on the heals of the recent revelation that Bolton lied on a disclosure form he filled out.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ugh. i'm hearing little rumors that bolton's mixed up in the plame affair. if true, he may be spending some of his appointment time dealing w/ that, and not, as bush says, in his post "during a war and a vital debate about UN reform."

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not so sure it qualifies as a rumor. Apparently the interview he "forgot" to disclose to the Senate was with the Inspector General over the uranium from Niger story.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now THAT'S the way to be a uniter, not a divider.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the article:
    i love how, even though the GOP is in control of congress, it's still the Dems' fault. it has nothing to do w/ the suitability of the candidate or the WH stonewalling info on its candidate.

and it wasn't only democrats who were questioning the appointment:

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yup, so far every story I've heard or read on the Bolton recess appointment has failed to mention the Republican opposition to his nomination.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Unbelievable. There's no end to Bush's ability to say "f. u." to the American people.

What the hell is in those papers that the Senate requested and which Bush refuses to release? What's in there that's so bad for Bolton that Bush resorts to this kind of end run?

How freaking embarrassing to have this guy as "president". :mad:

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Why is the Senate still working with the President? He obviously has no respect for the institution. To him, they're just tools to further his agenda. And it seems like the Senate is trying to make itself irrelevent. They passed the latest energy bill/corporate early christmas present and what did they get in return from the WH? A slap in the face.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i may have said this before, but...

i believe that bolton was picked for the job because he will do what he did in the state department: disrupt the organization and, as much as he can, grind the UN to a halt. this follows w/ the neocon's belief that the UN is an obsolete, meddlesome institution that just needs to get out of the US' way.

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The John Birch Society should throw a special barbecue in his honor. Bolton as ambassador to the UN is their dream come true.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is my favourite:
    http://www.economist.com/agenda/displayStory.cfm?story_id=4243468

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I really wonder if this is another "take the public's attention from the Plame game." It seems Robert's nomination was starting to die down in the media so the Bolton appointment would give the media something else to keep the attention off of Rove...

It's all the fault of the liberal media.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, no, no. You've fallen for it already. The Plame game itself is another "take the public's attention from the Iraq quagmire" gambit.

16. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And Iraq is a play to distract attention from the failed "war on terrorism." And so it goes.

In the end, it's all a distraction. We're meant not to notice the person in the White House.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Nope. I hate the players. They're the ones ruining the game. Clinton pissed me off and all, but this guy is just ruining it for everybody. Even people on his own "team".

As said above, this is just a big FU... to everyone.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well.

Here's the way Bolton will be representing the U.S. before the rest of the world.

Absolute arrogance.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

lovely. i appreciate the way Bolton keeps his cool when his views are questioned. :rolleyes:

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Can it get any clearer than that? Amazing! The only reason for the UN is, in Bolton's view, if the US decides that using it for its "national interests" is convenient and allows the rest of the world to follow its lead. Truly amazing this man is our ambassador! A FU to the Senate for daring to ask for more background information before they confirmed the bum, and a FU to the rest of the world who actually thought they counted. On the positive side, I have to say he represents this administration's attitudes quite clearly.

22. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I always figured it was a tactical error for Senate Democrats (and Bolton's Republican critics) to sandbag this nomination once they'd exposed the man for who he is. It's not like he'd be getting a lifetime appointment. He'll be gone when Bush is gone, if not sooner. In the meantime, Bush could be made to wear Bolton like a hat. Some people might even approve of his blowtorch approach to diplomacy, but far more are going to be offended and short of some miraculous personality conversion, he'll make enemies where we could have had friends. All of this can be dropped on Bush's doorstep, which is where it rightly belongs -- possibly in time for the 2006 elections.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I so want to believe that Bolton can be a boat anchor tied to the Republican party's leg. However, as the last election showed, large numbers of voters have a positively maddening ability to overlook the GOP's abuses of power.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have you got any friends? (Not you personally of course...)
    ;)

25. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It doesn't take many. Just a few percentage points of the electorate is enough to swing an election one way or another.