bush vetoes stem cell funding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jelloshotsrule, Jul 19, 2006.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Bush vetoes embryonic stem-cell bill

the irony is obvious and rich... that the first thing this guy vetoes is something that splits the republican party even... personally, i'm not sure we know that stem cell research is going to be the cureall it's cracked up to be. but we have to look into it. i'm no scientist though, whereas bush is very smart.....

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bush and the GOP want this issue to go away quickly. Let's hope this veto gets used against them come November...

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I wonder what Bush's opinion on the issue would be if he was dying from Parkinsons like my grandmother.

e

6. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

don't get me wrong, we're on the same side here. but i also think it's very common (and human) for people to understand things better when they've experienced them (look at cheney and his unwillingness to condemn same sex marriage.... hmmm). whether it be war, etc. this is a general fault of bush's... what has he experienced besides family favors and failed business ventures that go rewarded?

i am no scientist, as i said, and i favor stem cell research and federal funding for it... but i've talked to a scientist pal (does research on diabetes) who isn't convinced stem cells are the panacea that they're made out to be. i'm not sure how far the research has gotten (that's the problem really), but i don't think it's inherently true to say that, basically, if we fund stem cell research, we will find cures for parkinsons, etc...

still pathetic that this president's first veto is on something so... religious. :rolleyes:

7. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

How is throwing away embryos more moral than using them to help save lives?

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All the spending by Congress and this is his 1st veto in over 5 years? Amazing isnt it while congress is jacking off on the pledge,flag burning ,gay marriage. Our Govt is really out of touch.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And if the christain conservatives could, they'd probably try to ban jacking off. :eek: Then congress wouldn't have anything to do...I'd guess they would stop doing this sh*t. (god that joke will never get old)

10. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

The whole existence of "veto" has allways perplexed me. Isn't it a slap in the face of democracy?

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If you had a president you would understand;)

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not really... it's just another part of the 'checks and balances' thing we've got going on here. It's not an absolute, the veto can be overridden by a 2/3's majority in both houses of Congress. Won't happen with this legislation, but it's possible.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

HAHAHA!!!

Bush the ***** vetos this bill in private to hide this issue from the bulk of the American people. What a flippin' coward...
    Hmm... for some reason Bush didn't want to provide the American people any images of his "courageous stance" on "murder". He'd rather sign this one with no fanfare.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'd just like some consistency. If you're going to veto this bill call for an end to the destruction of embryos by IVF clinics. Force people to either keep their unused embryos on ice (for a fee of course) or make them available to other infertile couples (which could make for some interesting small town teenage years when genetic siblings have no idea they are related).

I've yet to see a politician claiming stem cell research is murder come out against IVF practices.....

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That same kind of consistency would demand that if they are going to protect the sanctity of marriage, they should criminalize adultery and ban divorce along with gay marriage.

And we know how likely THAT is, what with all the divorcees and cheaters in Congress...

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They aren't. But it certainly merits research. They've had some success with repairing tissue damage, grafting new cells to treat burn victims. And even if it isn't the cure all some are promoting, it does bring modest hope to future generation who could benefit from it. Even if nothing else than to better understand cells and how they work. If the only argument against it is that it equates to abortion, they're missing the obvious that some have already posted here and mentioned in rebuttal about wasting embryos (embryos, not even fetuses) that would be thrown out anyway, and the other research that doesn't even involve embryos. Cloning has nothing to do with it. This isn't any more of a religious issue than any other type of research, but like global warming, it's turned into a political debate for some reason with the detractors arguing about scientific fact with nothing but rhetoric. Sorry for the rant, but this is worse than just anti-intellectualism. Reminds me a little of the Dark Ages rational.

http://www.stemcellresearchfoundation.org/About/FAQ.htm

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Disappointed.

Not sure what stem cells can really do. But it sounds promising.

Improving health care capabilities seems the right thing to do.

Not sure I understand the issue concerning stem cells since they already exist and are just going to be disposed if not used in research.

Anyhow, disappointed in the Veto.

However, I am confident that if stem cell research is the way to go, congress will over come the Veto with a 2/3 vote someday or wait for a future president who believes differently.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's a gift to the christian right. when bush talked about it today, he said that federal tax dollars shouldn't go towards killing humans.

20. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't agree with this veto - I don't like the idea of creating embryos specifically for stem cell research, but the already created and on their way to the garbage embryos could better serve all humanity....

That being said, I quoted this because I prefer that the veto be private. I don't think vetoing in public is very cool - I think it more political self-agrandizement. Here, I would think the private veto would also keep the opponents of the bill from having the opportunity to get more press....

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So in other words, it's ok to let people die because it's God's will... but to use a potential life, that really isn't (and sometimes actually isn't, such as in the case of blood cells), that's going to be destroyed anyway to find possible cures for diseases, or at least better research the current ones, is playing God. Makes sense to me. :confused: This is just like the Schivo thing, except this time even Frist thinks Bush is too much of a fundie.

If that doesn't say something, I don't know what would.

22. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Actually, a bill proposing to ban "fetal farming" (in other words, creating embryos for the sole purpose of extracting stem cells) passed in the house with no-one voting against it, so that's not going to be a problem.

The whole stem cell issue is really a big Catch-22 situation. We don't know what potential stem cells have because we (I say "we" because I work in a stem cell research lab) simply don't have the access or funding we need to perform the kind of research that needs to be done. But what we do know is rather encouraging:

- stem cells can be driven to become the types of brain cells lost in Parkinson's disease and, when grafted into rats modeling the disease, can partially restore lost function.

- cells taken from adults and embryos can be driven to become pancreatic cells that secrete insulin

- cells isolated from the eye (the project I'm working on) can be transplanted into the retina where some become photoreceptor cells.

I could go on, but it's not like it's still a question of whether stem cells hold any therapeutic potential, but rather how much potential there really is. Unfortunately it takes money that Bush isn't going to let American research labs have to do it.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Leave it to Congress to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for your post. from what you've seen, to what extent has the ban caused a brain drain to other countries?

25. stillwater macrumors regular

How does this dickhead know want God wants?

Wouldn't a compassionate God want his/her creations used for things like curing the sick?

This first veto seems to me to be exactly in line with every other assholish thing the jerk has done since he first took the office. :mad: