Bush wants more money for NASA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by topicolo, Feb 2, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

topicolo

Bush wants more money for NASA

For once, he's doing something completely right.
    Smart move Georgie. It may not be a huge budget increase, but it's a good start.

2. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

More money for NASA....

And less money for helping out the rest of the world. Oh, how much do we spend each year to give the starving Africans food? And how do we benefit from that?

There are a lot of things that are stupid (i think) that the government funds.

NASA is not one of them:D

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, donating money to poor third world countries can help in at least one way: erasing the negative stereotypes that've plagued America.
    These negative stereotypes are the cause of much of the hatred/terrorism against Americans. If the US can counteract some of the brainwashing that goes on in some of these countries, it'll be killing off terrorism at its source. Using force obviously doesn't work--just look at the Israelis, they're getting more suicide bombings since they started striking back.

4. macrumors 6502

im all for boosting NASAs funding! hell i almost took a job with them (they love them some biophysics majors)...but where exactly does W think this money is? he tossed the balanced budget concept in the crapper.

It was excusable post 9-11 to implement security changes and other research towards that goal, but his military build up and other crap are just insane. Cut taxes AND spend more? i can see how he ran a business into the ground before becoming president.

(and NO all you whiners, that isnt Bush bashing, i happen to be friends with his dad (the GOOD Bush) i just think his return to Reagonomics (and YES it is) is a bad idea that his dad was able to stop and help the economy turn around and Clinton continued)

5. macrumors regular

We have been giving money away for years and years. They take the money smile at us and when we turn around,,,, they call us bad names. Screw'em. Lets feed our people before the rest of the world. Just my 2 cents

6. macrumors regular

Are you SERIOUS ?????

Lets feed our people first, what a joke. Here is a very interesting fact:

Americans eat enough food per day to feed every single human on this planet a 4500 calorie diet. Considering a healthy male adult can survive on 2800 calories per day no wonder more than 50% of Americans are overweight. America is the nation of over consumption. When will you realise that you are the problem and not a part of any viable solution.

7. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Re: Are you SERIOUS ?????

Oh my god! You're right. I am the problem! I can never be part of any viable solution! I personally am the bane of world existance.
    <rolleyes> Yes, America is the land of consumers. A comic once said, only in america would "all you can eat" be considered a good thing. Of course we are able to grow all of our food and be the largest food exporter in the world, so "so what"

8. macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I think NASA should continue with full government backing.

Since it's inception, NASA has achieved greatness - not only in it's technological advancements in space engineering, but also in biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, communications, exploration and invention: not to mention it's unwavering commitment in the face of adversity, such as the current crisis it's in.

It has brought hope and achievement at every level, and has given the World some of it's most memorable moments.

However, with everything, sacrifices are sometimes unfortunately made. Those men and women who were killed were proud to do their part for NASA and humankind. They died doing what they loved. I'm sure their wish would be to continue in the dream - of the genus Homo Sapien Sapien, free from the shackles of gravity, exploring, investigating, discovering...

...let the dream continue.

9. macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

A joke? Here are some facts for you to ponder....

Over 9 million American children do not receive adequate meals. No, I'm not talking about eating junk food for dinner, I'm talking about kids not having enough to eat. Families not having enough food to feed everyone.

Here's some statistics for you...

http://www.secondharvest.org/newsroom/feature/c2a_need.html

There are 26 million Americans who do not have enough food to feed themselves.

When will check your facts before you decide to criticize a nation?

The US is the biggest distrubtor of food donations to other nations, we are part of the solution.

10. macrumors 6502

first, i think the US is as much a part of the solution as anyone can claim to be..the problem is there ISNT a solution. second, zoetropeuk, you shouldnt toss out criticism from a nation that partially relies on the US for security.

11. macrumors 68000

lmalave

Heh, do the math here - the data you're quoting is COMPLETELY impossible. If 300 million Americans consume enough calories to feed 6 billion people 4500 calories a day, that implies that the per capita calorie consumption in the U.S. would be 90,000 calories a day!!! Umm...I don't think that's even possible - I think that would be fatal to any human. Put some thought into what you're saying before you post such drivel.

And by the way, the data that I've read shows that the U.S. is only 3rd in the world when it comes to per capita calorie consumption - Ireland and Greece are actually the top 2. Oh, an by the way 2800 calories is enough to get nice and fat. An adult male can live on much less, believe me. (that being said the American average for a male is probably over 3000 calories, and for a female probably several hundred calories less).

12. macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Re: Are you SERIOUS ?????

No one in the U.S. has to go hungry, believe me. The average income in my household growing up was probably no more than $10,000 a year, but between welfare, food stamps, free school lunch (and breakfast), and government cheese/butter we not only did OK but lived pretty well, in my opinion (granted with my background I have far different standard for "living well" than most of you). If any kid is going hungry I will say from experience right now that it's a case of parental neglect, pure and simple. Fortunately I was blessed with a mom that though she had a rough time trying to figure out how to succeed in her own life, at least knew enough to keep her children happy and well fed with her meager resources.

That being said, I hope that Republicans think twice before advocating the callous policies they suggest. I don't know where I'd be today without government assistance. Not only did I eat well but I benefitted from a great public school education. Now I'd like to think that taxpayers got a good return on their investment, as I and my brother have grown up to be very productive members of society. Unfortunately, the attitude of many Republicans seems to be that poor people are hopeless and should just die of hunger on the streets so they can out of the gene pool. :( :( :(

I wish that were an exaggeration, but this is really the attitude that I've seen in this country.

13. macrumors 68000

mcrain

"Finish your beer, there are sober kids in India."

NASA - Not Another Shuttle Accident
    NASA - Not Another Seven Astronauts

OK, look people, NASA suffered a terrible loss, but if you are for feeding the hungry, then you're probably also for less polution. NASA was in the middle of experimenting in ways in which to make vehicles far, far more efficient, thus reducing polution.

NASA does great things. They are expensive, but great.

(edit) Oh, and Republican's aren't evil, callous, or mean. They just disagree with Democrats on some issues, and just as Democrats can be bashed inappropriately by Republicans, you saying that Republicans want kids to starve is inappropriate, and gives those of us who really are trying to fight for the liberal point of view a bad name.

14. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The future of NASA is at a turning point here. What happens next is going to be crucial to its survival, regardless on whether it gets more money from the government or not. Its budget this year was 9 Billion, the same as it was 10 years ago. So effectively its been doing more with less money.

The one thing that they seem to have a problem with is commercialization of space. I say screw the principles and have companies pay for advertisement and celebs in space. Take that extra money and run the damn thing like a business, not like some hauty, pie in the sky(space) ideal.

D

15. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

First i would like to say i love nasa. Now with that being said who can argue that whenever government is running anything its going to cost us the tax payers 10 times as much as it would if it was a private business. I am all for space but didnt those clowns design and redesign the space station about a half of dozen times before actually trying to build it? And if iam not mistaken that cost millions even billions before they even started on the first part.Bottom line is government thinks it has a endless supply of our money and i dont know what is worse the fact that they constantly blow it or the fact that they do have a neverending supply of our money.:( Commercialize space and lets build a newer,faster,cheaper and more reliable way to orbit! Once we have a easy way to orbit that will open space up.but as long as we are using chemical rockets to push things up its going to cost a fortune!Maybe we need to take apart a crashed UFO and see how they do it!;)

16. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You just made that up, didn't you? Either that, or you believed somebody else who just made it up. Aside from the point lmalave made very well, a 4500 Calorie diet is outrageously high. You're talking about four super-sized Big Mac meals per day. Perhaps your distorted view of Americans includes such insane excess, but it isn't true. For a healthy adult male, even a 2800 Calorie diet is excessive. Your basic metabolic processes consume up to about 1200 Calories per day. How much you burn above that depends on your daily activity, but 2000 to 2400 Calories is a good target range.

17. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Congress cut their funding half a dozen times. And redesigns were necessary based on shifting priorities of the other participating nations. During the design of the ISS, Russia sort of ran out of money, for instance. Almost all of the redesigns of the ISS were to make it smaller and cheaper.

The space program has made, and continues to make, invaluable contributions. The problem they have with funding is that the results generated by a given NASA project typically will not be realized within any politician's term of office. The consequences, good or bad, of NASA funding decisions will be felt by some other administration. Therefore politicians see no advantage in funding it and an easy source of budget cuts. The only reason projects like the ISS ever get funding is that congresspeople agree to approve the funding only if associated contracts are given to companies in their own home states. Thus the fabrication of anything that goes into space is typically spread out over perhaps dozens of states, with all the inflated costs implied by such inefficiency.

So ultimately I agree with you completely that privatization of space is the only long-term solution.

18. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Yah, great, money to NASA. I'm all for it.

...but it's a little late isn't it...

19. thread starter macrumors 68000

topicolo

I think that cutting the space program right now would be the equivalent of laying down and admitting that we've been defeated. The loss of another seven lives was tragic, but these sacrifices must be made if we are ever to break free of the shackles that bind us here on Earth.
    If the early european explorers stopped sending ships out into the unknown as soon as they lost some people, Australia, North and South America wouldn't exist as we know it today (although some might argue that that's a good thing).
    If people were afraid of small setbacks, we wouldn't have many of the technological advantages we enjoy today--stuff like airplanes, electricity, cars, etc. would never have been invented.

I think it's a wonderful thing that NASA is being given more money. It's an investment in the future of humankind.

20. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Does any of this money happen to tie in with the 'star wars' program...?

Hm... Just a thought...

Edit. Money not moeny.

21. macrumors 68000

lmalave

Heh, you only say this because the difference to you is only a few percentage points in the tax rate, so you view the difference as small. But as they say, everything is in the margins. Put yourself in the position of someone who in all likelihood would have been homeless under the current policies (I was blessed to grow up in a more civilized time). And if Republicans had their way I would have gone to a decrepit school and possibly gone hungry. So excuse me if I support policies that kept me ALIVE and made me EVERYTHING that I am today.

The reason I call Republicans callous is because I really believe that Social Darwinism and hostility toward the poor is very core to their philosophy. C'mon, listen to Rush Limbaugh or Newt Gingrich and tell me they're not callous. Every time they ranted about welfare mothers they were ranting about MY MOTHER, think about that! This is NOT an abstract issue for me. Being on the receiving end of it, I can tell you the there WAS and IS tremendous hostility toward the poor from Republicans, there's just no other word for it.

And that's the part that I don't get about Republicans, is, why all the sneering hostility? Why is there so much venom and toward poor people, Hillary Clinton, etc.? I'm sorry, you can say a lot of things about Liberals, but I just don't see the same sneering hostility being mainstream among them. And don't talk to me about freakin' protesters, they're so marginal! I'm talking Rush Limbaugh, a HUUUUUGE bestseller! And look at their congressional leaders: Newt Gingrich, Jesse Helms, Trent Lott - the list goes on. Where are the Liberal Rush Limbaughs? Where are the Liberal Jesse Helms? If I've overlooked the existence of mean-spirited mainstream Liberal leaders, please correct me.

22. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think funding NASA is a good idea. I wonder if it will be a while before anyone else goes up into space.

23. macrumors regular

The Chinese are thinking of putting an astronaut up sometime this year maybe next....its gonna get crowded up there...

24. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

i forgot about the chinese...

maybe this is an opportunity to start another space race. can't let the reds have the first base on mars now, can we? :D

25. macrumors regular

Americans......

With regard to some of the comments made by fellow Brits here:

Yes, the US does have a consumer culture and yes, a reltively large proportion of US citizens are overweight.

However, the US is also the nation which gives more than any other in terms of aid to the third world. It also has guaranteed the security of Europe for circa the last 80 years. It's not perfect but it is folly to compare what exists to a perfect situation. In comparison to other possible situations (USSR wins the Cold War etc.) I'd choose what we have anyday.

I think it is too easy to engage in "yank-bashing" with out realising that we (the rest of the world and Europe in particular) have a great deal to br grateful for.