Bush won, but anything good happen on Nov. 2?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dotnina, Nov 2, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

EDIT: I just realized what a bad idea it was to start this thread, since we all have different views of what is "good." Umm, sorry, I don't post in the Political Forums too often, so I didn't think about that. Sorry, very sorry. :eek:

So, in all likelihood we have another four years of Shrubbery, but did anything good happen for your town / state on Nov. 2?

Here in CA, it looks like a measure to fund stem cell research has passed. I think it'll be a good opportunity for us to research ways in which stem cells could potentially cure diseases.

(Also, the whole state / town doesn't care, but my new iPod Mini arrived Nov. 2, too! I was so busy watching the election that I didn't even notice the box until late into the evening! :p)

So, before we all go mad, let's talk good news! What political happening has you smiling?

2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Um, I guess the first time I voted? (Since i'm 20 and missed the disaster called the 2000 Election).

Maryland is a Democratic state, but it still pisses me off that I'm so close to DC, yet I am helpless in making an effect in the states that mattered (Ohio/FL). And now, the US will be digging an even deeper hole. And both Houses controlled by Republicans. This is truly a scary time.

3. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

you do know bush also won the popular vote right?

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Popular Vote and Electoral College were both won by Bush. Now I bet those Democrats will stop talking about abolishing the Electoral College because of what happened in 2000.

5. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

What does this have to do with what i'm saying? I can't make a difference in the popular vote in the swing states (thereby not affecting the electoral votes for them).

Nonetheless, I did vote and I'm proud I wasn't apathetic like too many college students these days.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's still too close to call, folks - don't give it to Bush, yet.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

nope, not me. I am a democrat and a liberal and I think the electoral college is a disaster, no matter what happens this election. The fact is, my vote counted for much much less today that the vote of a person in Ohio, and that's not right. We should all count the same.

8. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Mere wishful thinking at this point Rower. There's no way Kerry can pull out Ohio. And even if Kerry wins the rest of the states, it would be a tie, and the House would elect Bush.

It's pretty much over... can't say I didn't tell all you liberal Mac-heads so ;)

I'm tempted to relish in the joy... but I won't... ok, maybe a little.

BOO YAH! (ok I'm done, I don't want to ruffle any feathers)

As for the topic, we had some other pretty sweet Republican wins in Colorado, except Coors lost which SUCKS. Otherwise I'm extremely happy with the outcome of this election.

9. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Four years have passed since the greatest election fraud in recorded American history, and there has been little to show for it other than swelling defecits, ever-increasing national debt, lowering standards of living, and constant, pervasive warfare. There are some who will stop listening as soon as they hit the first few criticisms in this post, but I ask that you continue reading.

Today, something strange happened. Middle America rose up and spoke in a loud, clear voice that showed us they would rather be coddled and given table scraps rather than have a clear and effective policy. The economy is still struggling, while foreign powers are growing in influence and strength on the markets that will define the next generation or two - technology, bioengineering, and, yes, energy. While some of us have been applauding the Bush administration for making us "safer" from "terrorism" (the odds of dying in a terrorist attack are less than those of dying in a car crash), the global market is inching closer and closer to using the Euro instead of the dollar.

We, and we are all culpable in this, have re-elected a man who ignored more than one known terrorist threat in order to purse a more visible war. We have re-elected a man who signed into a law a bill that circumvents our most basic protections, doing so on the word of the government and nothing else. Worst of all, we have broken the checks and balances in a way that we are unlikely to recover from soon, with a single party controlling both houses and the executive branch, which positions them to place ever more influence over the judiciary.

Jefferson, Adams, Paine, and their brethren spin in their graves tonight. The Democrats, along with anyone who doesn't approve of the doctrine of the neocservative, have lost. With them goes any hope of restraint, of weighing the arm that will soon be pointing at the next target...

It's a dark day, but there's still some hope.

I just don't think I'll find it tonight. If you pray, do so... We're going to need all the help we can get.

10. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

It will be us liberal mac heads saying I told YOU so in four years time when the whole world has fallen apart.

Why does the dumbest population on the planet get to decide its future?

What's going to happen to the environment with four more years of Bush pollution?

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If I may be so bold as to ask the Republicans here: what will be better in 20 years because Bush was elected tonight? In 10? In 4?

Just curious.

12. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Is that what you consider the US? The dumbest population on the planet just because we dont agree with YOUR views? sorry sir, but that is completely hypocritical. Plus Our country is a Democratic Republic for a reason, so that stupid presidents dont get voted into power.

Ohh and why are you buying products from the dumbest population on the planet? Go back to buying your own Brit computers if Americans are so dumb. But in all fairness you DO NOT represent the majority in Britain, and I happen to have many British friends who are not as bold as you to call Americans the stupidest people on the planet.

13. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Id say a better Economy for the US and a more stable Middle East.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Come again? I can't think of any US President who's done more to **** up the Middle East than GWB. And four more years of what on the economy? Gain back the jobs we lost?

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I concur. THe whole US has gone facist.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You'd have a point if Bush was still Governor of Texas.

Apple builds Macs in Ireland. And your attitude is a little xenophobic.

Uh, yeah... actually, he does.

We're not the stupidest. We're just not the brightest by a long shot.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Muah! Muahahaha! The irony is soo delicious!

18. makisushi macrumors 6502

1. A Supreme Court that that rules closer to what I believe.
    2. A Social Security system, where I can decide where my money goes.
    3. A pro-small business economy
    4. Less abuse of the welfare system

The basics for me are: If you feel like you should work for what you have, then you are Republican, If you feel like you are entitled to certain things (i.e. healthcare) then you are Democrat.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sure, it's hard to have a worse economy then we've had for the last 3.5 years. There's no where to go but up! I just prefer not to bare the tax burden for everything because I'm middle class.

20. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

If you think it is Ironic good for you. I certainly don't see the Irony.

All Bush's fault right? Because all of a sudden when he came into office, bam wam the market fell. Bit naive isnt it?

Anyways we will see if the theory is true, if the reason the economy slumped was because of policies left over from Clinton's presidency or if it started with Bush.

21. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

If anything, Iraq was/is the second largest cause of instability in the Middle East, second after Israel that is.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And what did we do but make it even more unstable?

23. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

:eek:

HAHAHA!

24. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Even better... Why are we supporting the most disruptive nation in the region and attacking the second most?