bush: working 3 jobs "uniquely american"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 10, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

For awhile, I worked two jobs and took 6 credits - not recommended for stable mental health. That's not unique; in the USA many run a jugle of jobs, family, school, and get no sleep. And nothing unique about going bankrupt from medical bills too. Life is great with neoconservative xians running the country! :rolleyes:

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Of course, employers love part time workers; they can hire two part timers for less than one full time person because part time temporary positions get way fewer benefits. Lots of employers have a habit of firing people just before they complete enough time to become permanent and qualify for raises and benefits. This is a fact of life for anyone entering the workforce in health care, retail or education in Canada. You can expect 5 - 15 years of scurrying between part time jobs before you get on permanent full time.
    Not uniquely American at all, but endemic in the NAmerican corporate model.

'Course one alternative is to go into business for yourself. Then you have the option of full time -- 14 hours a day....

4. kjgnola macrumors regular

And this from the family values president. How is one supposed to raise a family and go to chruch working three jobs.

Not that I do either of those activities, but for bush to consider it 'fantastic' is insane.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I thought this was going to be about Bush working three jobs.

I know he's busy with two right now: ****er-up of America and ****er-up of Iraq are both full time positions.

I just wondered what the third would be.

6. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I believe the third would be ranch hand in Crawford, TX

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

To go with the theme, why don't we call it f***er-up of ranch?

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I imagine that his ranch is doing quite well, considering how much time he spends there.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I dunno about that. Every time he goes to visit Washington, the manages to screw something up.

I imagine it's much the same down at the ranch.

I wonder if, like a trout stream, he has his woods "stocked" so he can spend yet more time clearing brush.

10. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

More likely that Rove has the ranch "stocked" the keep W occupied.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

With regards to mental health, I think this is one reason so many people are on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs nowadays. There's just too much stress in life. Nobody can convince me that we were meant to work a joyless, high-pressure existence.

In fact -- and young people will find this rather bizarre -- when the economy was going great back in the 1960s, there was an entire school of thought that in the future (the one we're living in right now), a full-time job would consist of 35 or 30 hours per week. Don't roll your eyes. That was an entirely reasonable surmise, given how relatively prosperous this country was back then.

The irony of what actually happened is, of course, crushing. And for Bush to call this "uniquely American", as if it was something to be proud of...ah, screw it! We already knew the guy is seriously divorced from reality.

Damn it, if I were President for just five minutes, I'd make it a requirement that, for a period of two years, every rich person in this country has to subsist on an income of $15,000 a year. Let the smug bastards like Bush see what it's like for the rest of us. :mad: