Bush's conversations secretly taped

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Some interesting stuff. Apparently an acquaintance of Dubya secretly taped their conversations -- for the purposes of history, the friend says.

Frankly, I'm less interested in the guy who made the tapes than I am in the insight they give us into how Bush thinks. If you want to call it that.

Bush apparently believes not being forthright with people about his past problems is the best way to handle it. While he's not outright lying about his past, he's evasive as hell...and now we know how he justifies that evasion.

That just doesn't make sense to me. I believe that kids would respond much better to openness and honesty than they would to Bush's dissembling. What's wrong with admitting you used it and telling kids that you believe, from experience, that it's a mistake?

The cocaine thing...I don't know what to make of it. Even on the tape, Bush is circuitous enough that he could still claim he never used it. But I think most people will interpret his comments as a tacit admission that he did indeed abuse coke.

As far as Bush's stance on gays...well, all right, I applaud him for his own tolerance, but obviously he feels it's as important to pander to his evangelical base.

I also don't know how he reconciles not personally believing in smear campaigns, while his staff and supporters engage in them with obvious glee.

I don't know that these tapes change anything, but they sure are an interesting look into what Bush truly believes, or says he does.

2. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

ADDENDUM: IJ started his thread a few minutes before mine. If you want to comment on this topic, you probably should do so in his thread, as this one is likely to get locked or Wastelanded.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.