Bush's Deficit Plan Is All in the Math

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Feb 7, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

IOW, it's a fraud.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-budget7feb07,0,5106433.story

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it is amazing to me that bush could defeat gore w/ the phrase "fuzzy math."

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

It just proves that words (and perception) mean more than actions in this country.

We believe in free speech (except on television and radio).

We believe in the seperation of church and state (except we want to legislate marriage based on fundy-christian "values")

We believe in freedom (unless you might be a terrorist, in which case all that "equal rights" and "due process of law" crap goes right out the window)

We believe in the priciple of the melting pot, where all cultures come together to create a stronger whole (unless you're Mexican, in which case we're building a giant fence:)rolleyes:!) along the border to keep you out)

As soon as we get over our self-righteousness, and start practicing what we preach we'll all be a lot better off.

Oh yeah, and the budget will get balanced, too. :p :D

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Are they bankrupting the country on purpose or is this the scope of their ineptitude?

(that's not a rhetorical question)

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

On purpose. The IRS, SSI, and Dept of Ed. are on the chopping block for sure. Starve them for funds, then claim they're failing to meet goals and abolish them.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Yes to both. They are trying to bankrupt (well, starve) the country, so they can justify cutting out the social safety net and bringing us back to the good old days of the 19th century, when business was free to do as it would without government interference.

Their ineptitude is that they don't believe that spending giant amounts of money on the military while cutting education and the safety net out of the equation will have a detrimental effect on the nation.

When the federal government's priorities are more and bigger weapons at the expense of education, healthcare and food for the poor, how can that influence society for the better? The people will take their cues from above, and we will become an ever-more authoritarian, uncaring society.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

418 billion was the budget for the Pentagon....

8. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I think it's a powerful coalition of the ultra-tax-cutters and the people who just don't care. Unfortunately, it's a slow-motion train wreck. By the time the American people wise up to how unwise this deficit spending is, the economic damage will have been done. Combined with the trade imbalance, we can expect higher interest rates and inflation in the future. I'm curious as to how the GOP will blame that on Democrats. Not that the Dems have had any bright ideas either besides "We moderately object."

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's so interesting to see the Republicans grapple with the issues of being responsible for everything that happens in the federal government. I don't watch much cable news so I don't get many of the talking heads but I did see a discussion between two Senators on the NewsHour last night. And there was Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH) groping for the words to justify Bush's wildly irresponsible spending backed up by totally bogus budget projections (with a straight face: "I like the fact that he's put forward a specific set of ideas for restraining the growth of spending..."). I mean, I can only imagine what he'd say if the same budget was submitted by a Democratic president. Imagine? Who needs an imagination in this case?

Ah, "the Contract with America." It's just a dim memory now, a political ploy whose day has come and gone.

10. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I saw that too. It's highly amusing to see someone who clearly has a brain, but partisan politics prevents him from using it. He knew how lame he sounded even as the words were coming out of his mouth.

11. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A brain maybe, but what about integrity? I'm waiting for one Republican member of Congress to step forward and say this budget is full of trickery and deceit and President Bush isn't being true to the promises he made on the campaign trail.