Bush's exit strategy: civil war?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I saw this guy on Democracy Now last night named Arun Gupta, who has written an article in the New York Indypendent which suggests that Bush may be actually fomenting civil war in Iraq as an exit strategy for the U.S.

His premise was summed up most concisely in his introduction:

The civil war he's talking about would be, of course, between the Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds. He explained the current situation between the ethnic groups thusly:

And so for Bush, the apparent solution is letting everything go to hell...while retaining our access to the oil, of course.

You know, if somebody said this about a previous administration, I'd be inclined to dismiss it as left-wing paranoia. But with the Bush reich, I think I believe it. Gupta's theory might mean that Bush's "grand plan" to democratize Iraq would fail, but frankly Bush has covered up even bigger failures with creative excuses.

Transcript of the Democracy Now interview
    New York Indypendent article by Arun Gupta (PDF file), page 8

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Yes. Saving face while covering one's rear seem to be diametrically opposed actions. I would still suggest that, prior to and following any shrewed strategizing/planning on the part of U.S. foreign policy with regard to her involvement in this, there was at least one pathetically naive voice sitting around the conference table which unfortunately was listened to.
    X