Bush's Hometown Newspaper Endorses Kerry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 28, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suppose if 'Rat were around he could provide some insight here, but do you really think the vast majority of small-town Texas newspapers have a liberal slant? (Although with a name like the Iconoclast, I suppose anything's possible. Which way did the Iconoclast endorse last time around?)

Zim, when you said Bush's hometown, I was expecting a more northeastern "liberal elite" area! :D

edit: Oh here it is, theliberalmedia went the other way last time. Were they so liberal then grapes?

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

you probably missed this when i posted it a month or so ago, but it's worth a look at how the "liberal print media" fell when endorsing a presidential candidate in 2000: link

4. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Perhaps The Lone Star is merely reflecting the feelings of its readers.

Check out this letter to the editor

The Lone Star

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    fwiw, the iconclast endorsed bush in 2000...

being from texas( 3rd generation), i can tell you many of my relatives who supported bush in 2000 are truly pissed at him because of the war in iraq, rising health care costs and the deficit. he has lost their vote and all of his chipper pep talks and " i'm a gonna's" won't win them back. he lied.

besides, bush isn't a real texan...he's a poser. ;)

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hasn't seemed to hurt him with Texans so far.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

interesting. If the people of Texas are changing who they support, you think Texas is still a guaranteed win for dubya?

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I still hear Will Ferrel's Bush in my head from the 2000 election.

"Don't mess with Texas."

Is it wrong that when I picture Bush in my head I picture Will Ferrel playing with a ball of yarn?

Taft

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Texas will stay red. No question. The Kerry campaign is spending virtually zero time and money in Texas.

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    yep, bush will carry the state quite handily. there seems to be a large portion of the state who would vote republican even if Satan was their candidate...it's a state that champions personal freedom as long as it's a god-fearing-christian-anti-abortion-heterosexual freedom. my apologies for painting with such a broad stroke but hey, i saw A LOT of it firsthand.

heck, one of the major country clubs in dallas still doesn't allow jews as members...and the club restaurant is nicknamed " the plantation" because all of the staff is black. this is the same club that ross perot resigned from during his failed presidential run. he wasn't allowed back in after the election because, by god, he acted like was actually ashamed of their discriminatory practices...

(edit: did some research, actually the top 5 CC's in dallas/ft. worth don't allow jews..the dallas CC allowed it's first jewish member in 1997...)

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The endorsement may reflect the feelings of the paper's readers, but it sounds like it has ticked off a large number of Crawford's residents (link):

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And Kerry's hometown newspaper recently endorsed Bush. They wouldn't be doing it for the publicity, would they now? One matter of interest, though: when the editor of the Massachusetts paper was asked about the community reaction (in a radio interview I heard), he didn't report any retribution of the kind we're hearing about in Midland.

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm not sure what you're getting at. If the editor(s) of the Midland paper endorsed Bush as a publicity stunt, it would seem that they indeed got some publicity for it. I'm just not sure that's the kind of publicity I would seek out, given the lost sales and advertising. As for Kerry's hometown newspaper, if what this story says about the Lowell Sun is true:

it sounds like the worst you could accuse them of is being consistent.

Isn't the simplest explanation that his paper's readers agreed with the endorsement? I know that Massachusetts is predominately liberal, and perhaps the town of Lowell leans that way as well. But if this particular newspaper has a history of opposing Kerry, it doesn't seem as though the readers (or advertisers) would be surprised or offended by this endorsement.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think it's reasonable for a newspaper editor to not expect threats and economic retaliation in response to an editorial endorsement. Perhaps another "simplest explanation" is the difference in the way people think and behave in Texas and Massachusetts.