Bush's Katrina rebuilding speech: opinions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lmalave, Sep 15, 2005.

1. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Here's my take:

Pro:
    - liked acknowledgement of racial divide
    - liked plan to support jobs, entrepreneurship opportunites for local residents and especially minorities

Con:
    - did NOT like conclusion that the military must take a greater role in disaster response. If by military he means just greater Coast Guard and National Guard presence, then fine. If he means Army units on U.S. streets, I get worried.

All in all a good speech, but I will judge actions, not words. The president, like all politicians, has made plenty of promises in the past and kept precious few (and often done the opposite of what he said). I'm hoping in this case he's not just making empty statements. The nation can't afford any political games right now.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We'll just have to wait and see. I hope that the rebuilding effort is good, but given his past record on everything else, I'm skeptical.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Greater role in delivering equipment and opening roads/temporary bridges/airports -- yes.

They "may" have a far faster response time to getting an airport up and operating than anyone else.

As far as armed troops on the ground, a big negative.

If the airport had been damaged worse in the current disaster, it would have been really ugly.

If troops had been immediately dropped in to open a runway and land National Guard planes, it might have worked out a bit better.

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

White House speechwriters are fully capable of crafting the right words and infusing enough optimism for any occasion. Logistically it will degenerate into the usual infighting that damages such prodigious reconstruction efforts. Therefore, I'll take your skepticism and raise you $10.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

krugman's got an opinion

6. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I don't think anyone wants to see Army units patrolling the streets but the fact is, there is no other organization in the US with the resources to respond as the military can. They are ready, trained and funded to restore order, evacuate people and quickly build infrastructure needed to deal with disasters. They have the necessary equipment at their disposal.

What's the alternative? Doesn't seem to make sense (practical or economic) to have another large group to do this. Where would they come from? How would they be trained and ready? Where would they get the needed equipment? How much more would it cost? Do we want another layer in the bureaucracy?

Local government is just not equipped to deal with disaster by and large. Sure, you can point to Giuliani and 9/11 but NYC is hardly representative of local government. NYC's economy, resources and manpower are bigger than many states.

State governments are better equipped but there are still problems. Louisiana's governor is weak; she showed that, at least to me, in every public comment she made. Her head ought to roll over this.

Seems to me a federal response is the best answer. Politics must be removed from this equation. Political patronage killed people here. Brown's head rolled. Wouldn't surprise me to see Chertoff "resign to spend more time with his family" by year's end.

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I tried to watch the speech, but after about 5 minutes of him telling us it was a sensless storm (or whatever), I decided to change the channel. I kep getting the opinon he was trying to turn the storm into an "evildoer".

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's precisely where the National Guard is supposed to fit in -- trained, funded, and equipped. But all the high-tech NG communications gear is being used somewhere else right now...
    TANSTAAFL - as some might say. Sure we can do both Iraq and Katrina at the same time. But to say we couldn't have handled Katrina better if the LNG wasn't abroad rings hollow.

Not to mention that the 'red zone' was only a few blocks in NY. The city didn't have to be evacuated.

Yes, a federal response capability is a necessity. No one state can effectively absorb the displacement of up to a million people. 50 separate states shouldn't have to fund 50 separate caches of the basic needs for that many people; not when the federal government could put together perhaps a half-dozen spread around the country and achieve the same effect. They should be ready to bring immediate basic aid to people within 12 hours. Full scale evacuation and SAR should be under way with whatever resources you have within 24 hours. Heavy equipment should begin to arrive no more than 24 hours after a disaster.

Those golden hours after a disaster are the most important. Stuff that arrives 3 to 5 days after the event arrives to late to help those who needed it most. Only the feds have the resources to bring to bear on an even of this magnitude. To be sure, state and local governments need to have their own plans to handle events up to this scale on their own, and citizens should be prepared at all times to live for a minimum of 2-3 days without power or water.

But I know when California shakes in a big way the local governments are going to need help. Local governments will be quickly overwhelmed.

9. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Stuffed shirts, glad-handing politicians, media spin doctors, nepotism, cronyism, mediocre bureaucrats proffered up as leaders and saviors.

Welcome to American politics. :rolleyes:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Problem is Katrina was a pre-announced disaster and all the planning fell apart -- with more than ample time to stage troops and supplies, and get all the bosses into agreement.

Sort of shocking to think what would have happened in California had shaken in a big way. :(

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Exactly the point. We knew for 2-3 days prior to Katrina making landfall that someone was going to get nailed hard, with the most likely target being New Orleans. What if it had been an event with no warning like an earthquake under a major city? Or even worse, a coordinated series of events, such as a terrorist attack, with no warning?

At least earthquakes and hurricanes aren't malicious. They do what they do with no regard to the outcome. A terrorist would seek to maximize damage, which would make crucial response and communications issues paramount.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In California it's not a matter of "had" it's a matter of "when." California has the advantage over other states of being large enough to be able to send in assistance from elsewhere in the state and the nature of or likely natural disasters, which tend to focus their devastation over relatively small areas. Still, when the "big one" hits we're going to need an effective FEMA response, no question. When the Northridge quake hit in '94, FEMA was all over us like a cheap suit. In fact they were moving too quickly to demolish damaged buildings.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I knew this would be spun away into nothingness.

Yesterday I read an op/ed (likely astroturf) in which the writer alluded to being "in the know" about all things emergency management and then commended the administration for its rapid three day response time.

New Orleans got sold down the river.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i caught only the last couple minutes of the speech; did bush say how the reconstruction was going to be paid for?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Duh! It's coming out of your pocket and into theirs, as usual.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

does deficit spending count as coming out of my pocket?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, that's when it comes out of my pocket. Good point!
    :(

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

tax cuts

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That was actually very funny. In a sick to the stomach sort of way.
    :D

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps this will answer my question.

nope, guess not.

and let's not miss the words of a man who love invoking the god thing:

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Maybe he can cut the Army Corps of Engineers budget.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

again?

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah yes, an avalanche of federal money as a response to criticism. But just to prove that the federal government can't do anything right, Bush will make sure to steer the money toward his cronies, and see that huge portions get wasted. Just so we all can see how bad the federal government is. Quick, drown it in the bathtub! :rolleyes:

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Now is not the time to point fingers.

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i submit that it's possible to use a Hypocrisy Test to determine, a priori, if one is a fan of this administration.