Bush's new car!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eclipse525, Mar 1, 2004.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think the guy that designed the Tango (4.2MB mpeg) is still running into some difficulty going into production.

Even though a little commuter car would help with city congestion, and has performance to rival quite a few sports cars (Tango accelerates through the standing 1/4 mile in 12 seconds at over 120 mph and travels from 0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds.)

www.commutercars.com

3. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

What does the president have to do with allowing cars into the country?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

not bad, but the $85,000 intro pricetag is kind of a turnoff. And you assemble it yourself, which is weird. Last I heard they were shooting for sub $10,000 for the AirCar, less if they can figure out a way to make hemp into body panels. And, it does that cool negative-emissions thing ;)

paul

5. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any up to date information on this? I scanned there website and didn't really find anything that seemed updated. It's the first time I've seen talk of this technology and it looks very interesting. Although I don't know if I buy the negative emmisions, since you have to throw out the air filter somewhere, the zero emmisions rating is pretty amazing. Just curious if anyone has any other info that they've found.

Thanks

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, the zero emissions thing is hyperbole. Air compressors have to get their energy from somewhere. Also, the manufacturer refers to hybrid pneumatic/IC engines, which is going to be something of a necessity if such a beast is going to sell in suburbia.
    That wouldn't even many people to work and back. (for the metric-impaired: 50km = 31mi, 100km = 62mi, 300km = 186mi; so if you use the highway, don't plan on wandering more than 30mi from home.)

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Yeah, but it doesn't really sound like they're planning on selling to suburbanites. It's more of an urban solution, so short-hop low-speed trips are what it's primarily designed for. And I don't know about the highways where you are, but during rush hour in Denver, this thing could easily go the full 300km :D

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Denver perhaps even further. :)

I think such a thing would be allowed in the country assuming that it meets collision standards. It might be good in retirement communities. If you could recharge at work I can see using it in LA.

I wonder if you could fill it at the tire filling thing at gas stations :) Juice up for free.

9. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

10. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

yeah, technically compressing the air would create emisions somewhere. . . its just an alternate way of storing energy (as air pressure as apposed to electrical potential in a battery)

the question is could you strap on a gasoline powered air compressor adjust it to run at its most ecinomical level and then drive as long as you want? and would that be more efficient to electric hybrids? my guess is it is not very efficient, you lose a lot of mechanical energy in compressing air, then a lot in the crazy engine. think about the energy lost in an air powered wrench. have they actually designed something more mechanically complex yet ultra efficient?

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I love those cars, have always liked smart cars (as the company) as well, but in the US...I don't know...sadly, a hummer might just run over you like a curb...sub-sub-compacts and Huge SUVs do not play nice...can hope though...gas will not last forever...

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    In theory the actions are lossless. The thing is that when you compress a gas its temperature rises. As the temp rises it starts giving off energy as heat. If you perfectly insulate the tank (leaving it at the several hundred degrees it will reach then you can run the car with almost 100% efficiency. You will sacrifice a lot on fuel load though because you will reach the higher pressure faster. I guess if you fill it *REALLY* slowly it will be nearly lossless.

13. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

That car like many other great inventions is a threat to certain industries in this country that our dear president and many of his constituents is so intrenched in.

~e

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nice. Kinda small for Dubya's cowboy hat don't you think though? Of course since he has been described as 'all hat and no cattle' perhaps that air pickup would be big enough for use on his ranch... ;)

Seriously, that is a pretty nifty car, but probably fairly impractical for mass adoption here in the States. Much more suited for dense urban areas with good mass-transit systems in place.

15. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

For God's sake.....we can put a man on the moon BUT we can't develop an emmisson's free car. Sorry, I don't accept that, I think if any of these major auto makers were to take this Air Car and improve upon it would be outstanding and very practical for the masses. I have faith, I believe we can all evlove as intelligent beings. :D

~e

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Going by the picture it looks like I just might be able to fit in the back seat. My thought is why do car manufacturers always make economical cars for just the shorter in stature.

17. ratspg macrumors regular

yea

we can put a man on the moon and invest in putting another man on the moon really soon again , but zero emission cars? thats a no-no.... if only auto manufacturers would take them and make them look like their other cars. they have begun to do that with hybrids at least !

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you want something that small and with good performance, get a motorcycle, they'd probably handle better too. :rolleyes: Especially at that price! :eek:

"Feel like $85k cars" my butt! :rolleyes:

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Top speed: 68.4MPH
    Max range: 186Miles
    Curb weight: 1650lbs
    Max load: 1100lbs

At $85K, that model better come with a supermodel willing to give BJs. :eek:

20. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Sorry but the BJ would add emmissions. :D

~e

21. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

yeah, but environmentally friendly emissions. ;)

22. DVW86 macrumors member

They say that the so called hybrids are "cutting edge", but they are nothing more than a glorified Geo Metro at twice the price and half the power and range. It is pretty disappointing. When I was in college we had an all electric VW Jetta that would go 50 MPH and had a range of 50 miles. I think that the car companies are just stalling and trying to pacify us with these stupid (and ugly) "hybrids".

23. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think this kind of car would do better in Japan. I doubt Bush is going to push for super mini-clean cars anytime soon!

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Bush cares about the environement?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Anyways, I don't see those becoming popular in America any time soon.

But eventually I could see them being assimilated into the market.

scem0

25. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Actually, next year (05) Toyota is releasing a fleet of hybrids. The Four-Runner Hybrid will have 270 horsepower, and get ~30 mpg. My mom works for Toyota, and she's placing an order the day they start accepting them. Oh Yeah, I'm 99% sure it will look exactly the same as the all gas 4-runner.

Also, Mitsubishi's 05 eclipse will have a 275 horsepower gas engine up front, and a 200 hp electric in the back. It will be all wheel drive, and both engines can run simultaneously, giving 475 hp to four wheels!!!

Don't fret, the future of hybrids is <5 years away.