Bush's NEWest Reason for invading Iraq.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    finally, someone asks some tough questions, ntm presents more of a worldly view than the pandering "leftist" media... :rolleyes: i was impressed by coleman's tenacity...she really tried to keep bush on subject no matter how much he tried to use his well-rehearsed answers.

i find it a bit scarey that bush can be so dismissive when presented with facts...he insists the world is safer in spite of the newly corrected data that proves otherwise.

oh wait...the world is better. nice shift to a stance that can't be quantified.

3. brap macrumors 68000

What channel was this on, is there a transcript, or stream anywhere? That Yahoo story is nowhere near enough. I want to see the moron squirm.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I guess you don't get to see many of them over there, but this a pretty typical Bush performance. We're seeing less of them over here too, because (I strongly suspect) Bush's handlers aren't letting him get into as many situations where he's unscripted.

A classic Bushism can be found at around 4:30 in this broadcast:

5. brap macrumors 68000

Seriously, I was embarrassed to watch that. Reminded me of a Bill Hicks take on daddy's tactics last time they went down yonder:
    I don't know how the interviewer coped with being patronised by someone who was quite obviously way out of his depth. Thx for the link :)

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"My job is to do my job." i think i've got a new signature :)

twice, bush claimed he was the first american president to call for the formation of a palestinian state. anyone know if that's true?

he certainly doesn't like to be "interrupted," does he? almost like he doesn't know how interviews are supposed to go...

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

also -- what's up w/ his assertion that the world is now a safer place? i wish ms. coleman would have mentioned the recent report on the rise of terrorism.

also scary was his complete dismissal of the idea that actions in iraq caused terrorist attacks elsewhere. the fact that they weren't actually executed in iraq (including the attack in madrid, explicitly done in a response to spain's involvement in iraq) was his only defense. there's a disconnect from reality there.

9. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

haven't posted in the politico's for a while. glad to see everyone still at it.

Speaking of Bushism's, did anyone see the Daily Show thing with W pronouncing the Iraqi prison with an "f"? Buckin hilarious. :)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, he just does.

11. wwworry macrumors regular

how are you playing it? with real1 or quicktime? It is not loading for me.

12. brap macrumors 68000

I had to download Real Player. ugh.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

worked fine with real for me...took a while to load though.

i wish coleman had had about 15 more minutes with bush because he was really starting to look pissed...i'd love to have seen him go off script.

14. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

A lightbulb burns brightest right before it blows out. :D

15. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is because he forgets where he was in his lines :p

Skunk: thanks for the addition to my post.

16. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

hmmm... looks like someone isn't too happy with Bushy-boy...

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

first time, it stalled on me at 4 seconds. close it and try again.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

First of all, I'd like to apologize to any Irish out there, indeed to the rest of the World, as that was the most embarrassing thing I have seen in a while...

The continued rhetoric about Freedom really got to me, as it seemed to be the answer to every question, trying to once again imply those who disagree with US (ie His) Policy in Iraq (and elsewhere) are against Freedom...I also didn't like the cheap shot at France...one telling thing from the interview, though was Bush's mention of a commitment to a "free and WHOLE" Iraq. For those who have checked out my thread about "Iraq come together, or fall apart" dealing with a BBC Hardball interview with a Former US ambassador concerning the probability or logic of a "whole" Iraq vs a Federation...and the New Yorker article provided by wworry about Isreali activities/collaboration with Kurdistan...this could be a whole New mess...for years to come...

oh, IJ, as far as Bush's claim to be the first President to support a Palestianian State...I found this:
    Here is the link:
    http://www.therazor.org/oldroot/Winter02/USIsrael.htm
    There is a chance Nixon or Carter may have advocated one also, possibly GHW Bush, but Reagan was vocally against it...

19. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Actually my post was talking about terrorists not Bush.
    The violence has risen because they are fighting for their existence. Not the existence of their race, or selves, but existence of their authoritarian way of life. I heard tell once that what they really are fighting for is the right to keep their women slaves. For they feel that once freedom is given they will no longer have the right to beat the crap out of them any time they feel like it.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Voltron, I really....AAARRRGGH...I do not want to seem to resort to an insult...

I'd like to try and explain all that is wrong with your "analysis", but there is so much, and I feel like I am beating my head against the wall in the first place...

To be brief, however, "they" (to generalize) are fighting for their Culture and Religion, and for the Right for Islamic self-determination and the end of Western Meddling in the ME. I find most of these reasons to be valid (especially realizing their Culture does not have the same values as ours). This is not to be confused with their methods. To us, the subjugation of women is abhorrent, but it is looked upon differently by Islamic Culture, and they cannot (nor should not) be forced to adopt our views on this matter...they will come in time to their own conclusions...

...You are just too much sometimes...

21. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That may be what you meant. But it is more appropriate as a comment about Bush. Of course the "bright" and "Bush" do not belong in the same sentence.

22. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

if only there was a difference.

23. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

zing... good point, btw.

24. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I think everyone would agree this is a little simplistic, if i were to say the same in relation to the US, it would go a little something like this:
    "THEY (americans) are all fat obese people who run around toting machine guns dressed in KKK hats and their whole political system is based on who has the most money to get into office, and who pays that money (companies) runs the country. This is applicable to all of THEM, and there are no exceptions, also THEY go around a plant bombs in buildings in their own country (oklahoma) and are obsessed with killing each other. Again this applies to all of THEM, with no exceptions, THEY are all identical, and all think alike.

Now i would like to point out a few things, the vast majority of americans i have met i have liked very much and many i have become good friends with, i know , as most of you from the US do that what i have said above is very very far from the truth(thankfully). I must say i dont particularly like dubbya, but just because i dont like the government doesnt mean i dont like the people, hell i dont even like my own govt at the moment.

Also im sure it would be very easy to make up a simplistic comment about my country (AUS), probably revolving around that bloody steve Irwin. Trust me hes an idiot and no one really likes him here.

Just remember making simplistic comments about a whole group of people, as is happening here is one of the reasons for unfounded racial hatred, try and be the intelligent people that you are and dont stereotype people into these "boxes"