Bush's Sunday Night Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mason, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Mason macrumors regular

Bush cracks me up. He called the UN the upholder of peace and compassion in the world. Is that like when he called them "irrelevant?"

He again tries to tie Iraq to 9-11. He continually intertwines the Iraqi invasion and "terrorists." Not only is this intellectually dishonest, it continues to demonstrate that our reasons for invading Iraq were never clear in the first place. Why has he not once mentioned any capture of WMD? Wasn't this whole war about getting rid of Saddam's WMDs? Well, where are they?

It's a shame that he won't be honest with the people. Intead, he talks about freedom and killers and always paints things in the Us v. Them, Good v. Evil argument. As long as we take such a simplistic view of the world, we'll never truly deal with the real issues at hand.

Now he needs another $87 billion dollars for Iraq - pushing next year's budget deficit estimate at $550 billion (isn't that about right?).

He's also one of the worst readers I have ever seen. Can. He. Pause. Any. More. Often?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

the U.N is supposed to be but has failed, failed & failed, why they didnt just get saddam and his henchmen with a squad of seals or some good inteligence and a missle instead of the us army is beyond me. now we have to pay for this crap while every day our borders are wide open. IS anyone home??good thing for george the demo's dont have a decent candidate.

3. Mason thread starter macrumors regular

"I recognize that not all of our friends agreed with our decision to ... remove Saddam Hussein from power. Yet we cannot let past differences interfere with present duties," Bush said.

In other words, "Sorry I told all of you to piss off earlier, but we'd really like some money - and can you donate some troops to be cannon fodder so some of our boys stop dying?"

4. Code101 macrumors newbie

His speech was awesome!!!

I loved it! I think he is a wonderful President. I herd all I need to hear to keep me supporting the cause of the war on terror. This country is much more safe with him.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: His speech was awesome!!!

don't be surprised if your unapologetic jingoism and Stepford-like blind trust gets you roundly dismissed, then.

6. Code101 macrumors newbie

Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

What's that suppose to mean? people on here can say how bad he is but the rest of us who like him can't say how good he is? That's kind of unfair.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've read the speech (missed the broadcast). here are my impressions:

1. it's well written
    2. it does a good job of appealing to the noble goal of mideast peace
    3. it does a good job of pandering fear if that goal is not met
    4. it does a good job of equating fighting in iraq w/ fighting terrorism
    5. it emphasizes victories
    6. it downplays the extent of the resistance
    7. it keeps putting the word "terrorist" in people's minds, even when talking about guerrillas
    8. it uses its self-defined victories in iraq to bolster, by association, "successes" in afghanistan
    9. it places any blame of past disagreements w/ UN security council countries on their shoulders
    10. it associates successes in iraq w/ preventing future 9/11s (even though iraq had nothing to do w/ it)

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

you can say whatever you'd like. the people who are respected here make intelligent, fact-supported statements and/or reasoned judgements and predictions.

your statement makes me wonder if you're paying a little too much attention to britney spears.

9. wwworry macrumors regular

Re: His speech was awesome!!!

Safe, HA!
    THere are more terrorists in Iraq now than when this whole thing started, more Americans being killed, less stability, fewer jobs for Americans, more debt, much much more fear (which he needs to get re-elected), more money for his croney friends etc. etc.

Anthrax, the blackout, 9/11 all happened on his watch - so how are we safer?

10. Code101 macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

I would agree with you on the above statement. I would also add that I also "make intelligent, fact-supported statements and/or reasoned judgements." I do know a thing or two about this stuff. I just happen to be a Republican Strategist so of course you will disagree with me what ever the fact.

It's your opinion vs mine. You think you are right and I think I'm right. That doesn't make ether one of us more right to any one else. You have your own opinion. I have mine. Who died and made you more right than me?

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

i guess i haven't seen them. your rah-rah go bush statement -- do you believe that qualifies?

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

That explains the cheerleading. Perhaps you could go over your reasoned argument one more time.

It seemed to me that Bush's move to try and get UN support and financial aid is backing away from his former disdain of that institution and allies who did not go along. How does this vindicate his policy? If Bush must now get UN authorization and help because there is an ongoing insurgency in Iraq, doesn't that call into question many of the assumptions we were told to begin with? I'm all for going to the UN, but the situation in Iraq sure doesn't make me feel safer - all cheerleading aside.

13. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

And how exactly could he have prevented these things?

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Maybe he could have, but assuming that it would have been impossible to prevent, he could have done more to directly respond to 9/11 (i.e. continue the war on terror instead of half ***ing a war in Afganistan so that he could start a war for oil/middle east so-called stability); anthrax (what happened to that investigation), and throughout the entire thing, done more to avoid the world's disdain for the U.S.

I missed the majority of the speech, but I knew what he was going to say before the speech. He has no choice but to try to make it look like we're doing the right thing, that we did the right thing when we started the war, and that things aren't as bad as people think.

I think the facts coming out regarding our motivation for going to war, and the facts that are coming out of that part of the world, don't really support his statements.

I'd love to hear more from the republican strategist. Actually, I'd like to know what the "facts" are (as seen by a republican strategist), and then discuss the spin of those facts.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

maybe the strategy is to join discussion groups and cheerlead.

phew! i _almost_ fell for it!

16. Code101 macrumors newbie

My Sentiments Exactly!

If Gore or Dean was in there, we could have had a nuke or other type of attack by now. It's funny how Democrats work. The lights go out, "it's Bushes fault." An earthquake happens, "It's Bushes fault." Let's not forget that on Clintons watch, he missed 3 different occasions to get Bin Ladin like in Sudan. When US intelegence knew where Bil Ladin was Clinton was no where to be found, they couldn't contact him for hours. The order was given to attack too late. Bin Ladin slipped away. Don't blame 9/11 on Bush. Don't blame the Economy on bush ether. We were in a bad Recession before Clinton left office. If i'm not mistaken, it's almost back up to what it was.

Clinton lost the codes for missile deployment on more than one occasion. Just read about it from the General who guarded the Briefcase at the time. It's called Dereliction of Duty by Robert Patterson.

There was nothing new in President Bushes talk. I don't need any more convincing to see this is the right thing we are doing. I was convinced on 9/11 The President just reaffirmed it for me and many others tonight. He did a good job.

You ask with sarcasm, do I really feel safer with Bush? My reply is, yes, yes and definitely!!!

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I don't know about you, but he makes me feel better about the Democrats chances next year.

18. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

Yea, that black preacher is going to go a long way ;)

19. Code101 macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

No kidding:D

All 9 of them are a laughing stock. They should all run for a position with the UN or something.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

NYT on the speech

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/08/opinion/08MON1.html?pagewanted=print&position=

September 8, 2003

The President's Speech

President Bush urged the American people to stay the course in Iraq last night. We wish he had announced a course correction.

It was impossible to watch Mr. Bush's somber speech without remembering that four months ago, when the president made his "Top Gun" landing on an aircraft carrier and declared an end to "major combat operations," the White House was worried about giving the world the impression that Americans were gloating.

Now, Washington has been compelled to recognize that it cannot succeed in securing Iraq alone and badly needs much more United Nations help. Yet the administration still resists paying the necessary price of accepting broad U.N. authority over rebuilding Iraq's institutions and economy. Telling members of the U.N. that they have a "responsibility" to step up to the plate may seem a little presumptuous given the way Mr. Bush ignored their earlier concerns at the time of the invasion. The United States needs to negotiate realistically with France, Germany and Russia on expanding the peacekeeping forces and getting financial help with the huge reconstruction costs.

Given the fact that no weapons of mass destruction have been uncovered in Iraq, the president needs to be much more up-front with the American people about why our troops are there. Polls show most Americans still believe that Iraq was behind the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, although there is no evidence connecting Saddam Hussein to the terror plot. That is in part because the president continues to draw a line between Sept. 11 and Iraq. There are still good reasons to maintain America's commitment in Iraq. But Mr. Bush's tendency to refer to everyone from Baath Party loyalists to guerrilla fighters as terrorists seems designed to confuse the public rather than clarify the administration's goals.

While Mr. Bush finally set a price tag on the upcoming cost of the Iraq effort, he still has not done nearly enough to level with the American people. The bulk of the $87 billion the president said he would request from Congress goes to the military and intelligence. The amount that would be left for things like restoring water and electricity seems very low, given recent information on the pathetic state of the country's infrastructure.

Mr. Bush's earlier attempts to evade setting a price tag on the Iraq effort were in part aimed at greasing the skids for the administration's tax cut program. Certainly now it is time to give up on the idea that the tax cuts temporarily approved during the president's tenure can remain in place. But while Mr. Bush is getting more specific about the numbers, he has yet to really tell Americans that they will have to make sacrifices to pay the bill.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

Every time there is an election the opposition's candidates are not given much chance until it becomes clear who the nominee will be. I don't have a crystal ball to tell you who will win the nomination, but whoever it is will have a good chance against Bush if the economy doesn't get a lot better and the situation in Iraq isn't much, much better. That is what the polls are saying now. But I don't have to tell you that - you're a paid strategist and know it already.

By the way, I assume the you are talking about Al Sharpton when you make reference to "the Black Preacher." He has a name.

22. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

Could care less what his name is, hate the guy. He is a racist in my eyes.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

please tone down the inflammatory remarks.

24. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: His speech was awesome!!!

:confused:

25. Code101 macrumors newbie

Good Debate!

Bed time guys:(

I'll check in here tomorrow.