Business Groups Invested in Races, Now Wait for Returns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Nov 8, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The best government money can buy.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-invest8nov08,0,5478723.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well I suppose it's only a difference in who gets the spoils between Bush and if Kerry had won. In fact most have probably given enough to both sides to have gotten a seat at the table so to speak.

I'm mostly concerned about the erosion of privacy rights I see coming at this point. Poindexter will get all the money he wants for TIA now. And industry will be more than happy to mine the data.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not so sure. The article suggests that business and industry groups worked for Bush in this campaign like never before because they know what side their bread is buttered on.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I found Mr. Baroody's comments at the end of the article particularily striking.

I am not surprised, yet I feel I should be. One man one vote indeed.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well sure, but wouldn't the environmental lobby, the union lobby etc be expecting a reward for efforts expended had Kerry won? Industry would have been well represented in a Kerry administration, probably just a different rank of who gets what first.

But yes, it will be a party for those who were the big donors to Bush/Cheney. As the article says, it's a post-election ritual no matter which side wins. Does it make me happy? No, but it's hardly unexpected.

We do need to keep calling them on it though. The more lines that are drawn between campaign cash and favorable legislation, the more people wake up and realize that our government is for sale.

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

True, but these other organizations are not in the position to treat the federal government as a bottomless ATM. I think we need to understand that we're transforming the US into a corporate state where virtually nothing can be accomplished unless palms of industry are properly greased. This government does not represent the interests of people at all, it represents the interests of corporations.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It seems like employees have genuinely bought into the promises made by their employers. Even at a time when jobs are being shipped overseas, corporate malfeasance is at a high, and business is working to weaken employees rights.

The terms "Legal reform and tax relief" just bug the crap out of me though, politically loaded and disengenuous at best.

I guess we can expect the entire nation to become as polluted as Texas is if this continues. America the Smoggy.